Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cross Country coach

Sexton goes to the local juco ranks.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

On paper this looks like a good hire. He has dominated at his level of competition, including a national championship.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

He was close to getting the job before, so this was just kind of due to him I think.

Maybe it's not sexy, but I think this is a good hire. The only question becomes can he manage things "at this level".

Time will tell but I like his chances.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        He was close to getting the job before, so this was just kind of due to him I think.

Maybe it's not sexy, but I think this is a good hire. The only question becomes can he manage things "at this level".

Time will tell but I like his chances.
        One good thing about his chances to succeed "at this level" in my mind is the fact that, in addition to his coaching responsibilities, he served as Athletic Director when he was at Colby County CC and later served as NJCAA Division I Cross Country Coaches Association President. To me this indicates administrative experience beyond what your average JUCO coach might normally possess.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Re: New Cross Country coach

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          My guess is that this is a Steve Rainbolt hire that ADES simply rubber stamped.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            A guess is a guess is a guess. I don't know the process by which this happened but at the end of the day Eric is the man that has to pull the trigger and he is also left with the responsibility for the results, so however it happened, this is an Eric Sexton hire.
            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

It may be a guess, but it is a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                It may be a guess, but it is a fact.
                The more relevant question (in light of the extended discussions on other threads about ADES's competence) is not simply "Is it a fact?" but "What does that fact mean?" Is there any reason to think that taking this approach was a poor decision on Sexton's part? The phrase "rubber stamped" is usually a pejorative description but it could certainly be argued that giving Coach Rainbolt substantial input into this hire is a good thing. Again, however it happened, as long as Sexton is AD, he has final say and this is "his hire." I can't imagine that if this (or any other) coaching hire goes wrong, people will excuse ADES from responsibility based on the fact that it was recommended by someone else.
                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

The fact of the matter is that this is essentially Steve Rainbolt hiring an assistant coach.

"I am really excited about Kirk Hunter joining our staff as our new Head Cross Country and Assistant Track Coach in charge of our distance runners," Steve Rainbolt, Director of Track & Field/Cross Country
                  I'm sure Eric has confidence in most of his head coaches to hire and fire their own assistants, although I also assume ADES must give any hiring his final approval (or maybe he doesn't). In light of the outstanding job Coach 'Bolt has done with the track and cross country teams I'm pretty sure that in this case it was a rubber stamp. If I was the AD that's what I would have done. Nothing perjorative intended.

Comment

Working...
                  X