MVC Track & Field Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Track & Field Championships

The depth of the Shocker Men's multi-event athletes on display during Day 1 of the MVC T&F Championships as the Shocks hold the top 5 spots in the Decathlon after 5 events:

Current Decathlon standings (top 5) after five events: Slupkowski, WSU (3,961); Dickman, WSU (3,758); Zerr, WSU (3,609); Dick, WSU (3,559); Taylor, WSU (3,555).

:good: :goshocks: :clap:

Southern Illinois racked up points in the throwing events and the 10,000 meter run on Day 1.

The Shocker men did well in the Javelin scoring 17 points lead by Trent Mazanec's 2nd place finish.

SIU also picked up 1st, 2nd and 5th place points in the 10,000 meter run.

Comment

Here is the link to the Championship web site if you want to follow the results:

Comment

Shocks pick up 28 points in the Decathlon finishing in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th.

Final Decathlon Standings: 1) Daniel Gooris, UNI (7,228); 2) Chris Dickman, WSU (6,838); 3) Jordan Zerr, WSU (6,818); 4) Devin Dick, WSU (6,487); 5) Justin Taylor, WSU (6,549); 6) Alex Freshour, WSU (6,418); 7) Krzysztof Slupkowski, WSU (6,223); 8) Channing Puls, UNI (6,056); 9) Chris Kasel, UNI (5,723); 10) Robert Webb, INS (5,668); Dexter Childress, INS (DNF).

Comment

If goshox74 was around he could tell us how we are postioned going into the final day on Sunday and how we are doing vs expectations.

I don't know enough to really tell for sure.

Comment

Shockers also finished 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th in the high jump for another 18 points.

I think the plan for the Shocker men was to use their quality depth to rack up the points.

So far that seems to be working OK, although again, I can't say where we are vs expectations going into the meet.

Comment

Ok, well I am screwed up right now, and I love T & F, so I am going to look at some of these numbers.

First, can I just say how infuriating it is that I cannot follow the action live?!!

And this has happened with various home events too....the whole damned conference sucks.

It probably takes all of a free meal to get someone to type on a laptop the results.......2 bit crap.

Now that's out of the way....onto the results.

UNI's Dan Gooris was expected to win the decathlon, and he did. WSU probably picked up an extra point or 2 with the 2,3,4,5,6,7 finish.

WSU would have liked to scored 4 in the javelin, as only 3 managed top 8 finishes and Trent Mazanec was beaten by a talented freshman from ISU. A 2,3,6 finish was a little less than expected.

Form had Bryan Tapia a little higher than 7 in the hammer, but not much ground lost.

No entry, no points in the 10k....no surprise.

The Shocks scored 4 places in the high jump, a result that would offset the slight disappointment in the javelin I think.

Bryan Tapia's 7th in the shot was right on expectations. Congrats to Bryan on a successful career!

As good as the 1,2,6,7 finish in the long jump was, WSU probably was looking for a little more than that. They had 4 other jumpers that didn't score, and certainly 2 of those 4 were being counted on to score. Congrats to Jr. Tyler Simmons for the championship and Fr. Brandon Childs looks to be a stud..finishing 2nd and leaping 24-3+ as a first timer, that's strong.

Marius Sava looked to finish top 3 in the steeplechase, and finished 2nd. Solid result.

Those are the results so far.....now as far as the prelims to be completed tomorrow:

110H - Shocks would have loved to get 5 into the finals....and they did.

400 - Shocks would have loved to get 4 into the finals......and they did again.

100 - Wanted 2 in the finals, and got it. Looking for a 1-2 finish here.

800 - Didn't expect to score, and won't.

400H - Probably wanted to get 3 to finals....got 2 but the finishes weren't expected to be high anyway.

200 - Would have LOVED to get 4, got 3 and honestly that's strong.

Everything else is on form only tomorrow. I can't compare the other team's finishes, but the Shocks look to be in very solid shape to see the top of the podium tomorrow.

Comment

Great summaries guys! I'm at the meet so its a little crazy but here is what it looks like to me ...

The final day will be an all-out war between WSU and SIU for the title. Its almost an even match on paper. WSU advanced very well through the prelims and have more potential scoring but SIU has some studs that can carry them. 13 events left and most can go any way. No other teams are in the hunt. I like the Shockers chances after the way today went so look for them to hopefully pull out a close win against a very good SIU team.

Good luck Shockers!

Comment

Shocks finish strong enough to take the title over SIU.

Congrats to all the members of the Track and Field team, especially Bolt!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    Shocks finish strong enough to take the title over SIU.

Congrats to all the members of the Track and Field team, especially Bolt!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                    Ditto!

Comment

For more updates about Wichita State Track & Field, follow us on facebook. Lots of updates and links to great info ...
                      http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Wichita-State-Track-and-Field/261399286982

Comment

Working...
                      X