Men's Outdoor Track Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Outdoor Track Season Thread

Well after a memorable indoor season where the men's track team won their first ever MVC Indoor title, here is what I think the outdoor season looks like ...

Obviously they will now have the target on their backs as one of the favorites as opposed to indoor where they were picked 4th in the pre-meet poll. Hopefully they will be able to handle the success and win the outdoor title as well.

Outdoor track adds the following events: 100m (replaces 60m), 3000m steeplechase (replaces 3000m), 10,000m, 400m hurdles, 4x100m relay (replaces DMR), Discus, Javelin, Hammer (replaces Weight Throw), Decathlon (replaces Heptathlon). The 1500m also replaces the mile which is virtually the same event.

In the events added above I think the Shockers should be stronger. They will be awesome in the Javelin as well as being much better all-around in the throws. Adding the 400m hurdles should be good as well. The other events should be similiar to indoor.

Don't know about the rest of the league but the usual suspects SIU, UNI and Indiana St should be the top challengers.

The multi eventers had a good season opener in Rice last weekend and the rest of the team will open at UT-Arlington Saturday. Lots of great meets on the schedule with the annual KT Woodman on April 9-10 in Cessna Stadium and the MVC in mid-May at Illinois State.

Season opener at UT-Arlington for the Shockers ....

Down at UTA the Shocks had to deal with big-time wind. It was so windy that almost all of the pole vaulters no heighted. The sprints were also into several headwinds so I think the overall results were probably better than they apear on paper.

--A couple of our great javelin throwers opened up with Adam Capps winning at 218 ft and Chris Ronen debuting at 196 ft. I think Mazanec and Trudo will open up this week.
    --Marius Sava ran away with the 3000m steeplechase victory in 9:22.
    --Todd McKown continued his momentum from indoor with a PR in the 110 hurdles (14.52) and a good 200 (22.19) into headwinds.
    --Justin Smith ran a very nice 48.83 400m.
    --Tyler Simmons (24-6) in the LJ and Josh Crawford (51-1) in the triple jump had impressive opening jumps.
    --Bryan Tapia had a nice double in the SP (53-7) and Discus (165 ft).
    --Some solid 400 hurdle runs in tough conditions.

The teams are at The Texas Relays and Emporia State Relays this week. Good luck Shockers!

Comment

Working...
    X