Men's track opens up season Friday night @WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's track opens up season Friday night @WSU

The 2010 track season gets underway Friday night in the Heskett Center at WSU Friday, here's the full schedule: http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...CLID=204846113

They will compete against Oklahoma St, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Fort Hays, and Emporia St - should be a great meet to kick off the season. The Shockers only have 3 meets and for $2 its about as good of a value as you can find for some fantastic athletes!

What I'm most interested in seeing is:

The 4x4 team was fun to watch last year, will be interesting to see how good they are this year.

I think the hurdlers will be very good, maybe dominant in a meet like this.

Jumpers - The Shox are usually good in the LJ/TJ, Tyler Simmons appears to be breaking out into a top jumper, and our HJ and PV crew should be improved over last year as well.

Throws - Much improved over last year with Talbert and Tapia added into the mix in the shot and weight.

Multi guys - we have 3 of the best athletes in the nation - Chris Dickman, Justin Taylor, and K. Slupkowski - always fun to watch them all over the meet.

Its a scored meet so hopefully we can put it on those Big 12 and C-USA teams! Go Shox!

Shockers win the season opening WSU Invitational.

Team Scores:
    WSU 173, Emporia St 116, Tulsa 89, Oral Roberts 65, Fort Hays 26, Oklahoma St 17

Highlights:
    --Dylan Hartnett has a solid 200/400 double with 22.50/49.62 as well as anchoring the winning 4x4 in 3:18.
    --Todd McKown nipped Chris Allen to win the hurdles, 8.22 to 8.25 with the Shockers looking impressive as expected.
    --Justin Cole took a last second victory in the 600 (1:21.86) which I thought was an overlooked performance.
    --Tyler Simmons has a big 24-10 in the long jump, NCAA qualifying mark, maybe the most improved athlete on the team.
    --Brandon Childs jump 6-9.75, very solid for his first college meet.
    --Chris Dickman pole vaults 16-5, really good mark for the multi-eventer and Aaron Young clears 16 ft for the first time as well.
    --Tapia, Tong, and Talbert sweep the shot put, don't know how strong the field is but a positive result for this crew.

There were also some below average performances but I imagine there always will be this early in the year.

Next week the team travels to Nebraska for the adidas Classic where they will compete against some Big 12 schools as well as Colorado St and Air Force.

Comment

Looks like it was a runaway for the men. Did Oklahoma St even bring their team?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
        Looks like it was a runaway for the men. Did Oklahoma St even bring their team?
        Good question. They must have sent a split squad with perhaps the bottom of their depth chart sent to Wichita. Hard to believe they would be that weak.

Comment

While they didn't send all of their top runners, they sent most of their team. They are a strictly distance track team, no throwers, jumpers, sprinters, etc. This is why they won the NCAA cross country title this year and will probably be last in the Big 12 in track. Even with all of their best guys running they wouldn't be able to score half of WSU's points in a track meet. Different philosophies I suppose, I like how we have people in all the events.

Comment

Working...
          X