Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wish List for new Conference (football included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish List for new Conference (football included)

To include football:
    -- WSU
    -- Missouri State (could be a natural rivalry)
    -- Illinois State (believe they are poised for bigger things than the MoVal)
    -- Tulsa (Tulsa and WSU are like binary stars)
    -- SMU
    -- UTEP
    -- Memphis
    -- UAB
    -- Rice (nice baseball rivalry too)
    -- Houston

Not real scientific nor thought out, but provides us with some old competitors such as Memphis and Tulsa with current competitors such as MSU and IlSU, and some potential rivals such as Rice. For the most part it also provides some much easier travel than going to ISU-blue, UE, etc...

I think the MoVal will always be a nice conference, but the UEs, UNIs simply don't do it for me. MSU and IlSU have great potential for growth IMO...
    I'd take CU over UAB, but don't think CU will ever field a football team.

Sub TCU for UTEP or UAB

Comment

Re: Wish List for new Conference (football included)

Originally posted by Veritas
      To include football:
      -- WSU
      -- Missouri State (could be a natural rivalry)
      -- Illinois State (believe they are poised for bigger things than the MoVal)
      -- Tulsa (Tulsa and WSU are like binary stars)
      -- SMU
      -- UTEP
      -- Memphis
      -- UAB
      -- Rice (nice baseball rivalry too)
      -- Houston

Not real scientific nor thought out, but provides us with some old competitors such as Memphis and Tulsa with current competitors such as MSU and IlSU, and some potential rivals such as Rice. For the most part it also provides some much easier travel than going to ISU-blue, UE, etc...

I think the MoVal will always be a nice conference, but the UEs, UNIs simply don't do it for me. MSU and IlSU have great potential for growth IMO...
      I'd take CU over UAB, but don't think CU will ever field a football team.
      That conference would be a lot of fun.

Comment

I think TCU is a must, drop UTEP. Sub SIU for ISU, depends on TV market size.

TV market size would be the key to this league. Omaha would be nice, but I don't think CU would ever add football.

Does anyone know where to get information that states the TV market size?

I remember Wichita being 37th (something like that). Obviously Houston and Dallas would be larger. Memphis would probably be larger. Tulsa, Birmingham and Springfield probably close to Wichita.

Carondale, Normal and El Paso would be smaller.

Comment

Memphis won't happen with this group. If they aren't invited to the Big East, they'd stay with their C-USA Eastern brothers, as would UAB.

I like Il St., but they would be out of place regionally. If C-USA broke up, the Redbirds would be a likely addition to the Eastern group.

TCU probably doesn't have any real incentive to leave the MWC.

Tulane would be a likely choice to add with WSU, MoSt, Tulsa, SMU, UTEP, Rice, and Houston. LA Tech is regionally out of place in the WAC, but not with this group. I'd expect a team or two from the Sun Belt West Div. to be in the discussion as well.

I'd like Creighton as well. Many conferences play 8 in con games, so only nine schools in a 10-12 team conference would need to play football (immediately anyway). An 11-12 team conference would also allow for fielding enough teams in other sports without certain schools adding the sport. I believe Tulsa, SMU, and UTEP don't play baseball.

Comment

My list:

New SWC:

WSU
            Tulsa
            SMU
            Houston
            Rice
            UTEP
            New Mexico St
            N Texas

TCU - I would have them in but they will not leave the MWC IMO.

Possible Additions:

La Tech, Arkansas St

Comment

If we are able to get are football team back and do look at new conferences, we have to think long term. 3 schools that are up and coming are Texas State, University of Lousiana Rajun Cajuns (They are doing everything they can to shake the other L) and Arkansas State. UL has a solid Baseball program already. Texas State is undergoing major athletic renovations as is UL. I can't find the pic of UL's stadium expansion, but it will be first class all the way. Here is what I would like to see, remember, we are thinking long term.

Wichita State
              Tulsa
              SMU
              Rice
              Utep
              Texas State
              Missouri State
              Lousiana
              La Tech
              Arkansas State
              Houston
              Tulane

We would have instant rivalries with UL and Rice in Baseball along with Mo-State.

We would have instant rivalries with Missouri State and Tulsa in Football and would surely develop one with one of the other schools.

We would have an instant rivalry with Houston, Tulsa and Mo-State in Basketball.

The linchpin in the whole thing would be getting Houton on board as it would add some legit to the conference. Something like the above is likely to happen, especially if ECU and Memphis get picked up by the Big East in some fashion. That would leave Marshall and UCF out East all by themselves in CUSA. Whether or not we are ready for the above scenario has yet to be seen. I guess it is fun to dream though and at this point, I would take non scholarship football like Drake.
              Texas State Football stadium

Comment

It doesn't have enough parking! :D

Comment

I like the Texas State Stadium. How many fans does it hold?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
                    I don't care who you are, that's funny.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                      Originally posted by pogo
                      I don't care who you are, that's funny.
                      :good:
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That is the masterplan only the west side is finished on that. And the endzone complex b. The East side is just the two decks. We are hearing anywhere from 36,000 to 39,000 for capacity.

Comment

I always thought it was the "Texas State Fightin Armadillos"

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                            They used to have this kicker...

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                              Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                              They used to have this kicker...

Best part of that movie is when she kicks a player of the opposing team square in the grapes. "Welcome to footballs" is the line delivered to a defensive player for the chickenhawks of ku.
                              That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Working...
                              X