Winthrop eyeing Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winthrop eyeing Football

Just trying to keep everyone informed on what is going on in the football world. Why is is so impossible for WSU and Beggs to atleast officially explore the option to see if the money is there?

Winthrop explores donor support for football
    By Darin Gantt · The Herald
    Updated 10/02/07 - 1:40 PM | Comment on this story

For years the question has simmered under the surface of the Winthrop athletic program, but the schools now ready to at least talk about football. Provided, of course, someone else is willing to pay for it.
    Winthrop president Anthony DiGiorgio said Tuesday he’s ready to explore the issue of adding the big-ticket item to the athletic budget, but only if sufficient funding comes in from private donors.

In figures provided Tuesday, he estimated a need for $16.6 million in capital expenses (mostly for a new stadium), along with another $1.7 million in start-up costs (staffing and equipment) and approximately $2.4 million in annual operational costs (scholarships and coaching salaries).

“It’s not something we’re going to do on the cheap,” he said. “And it’s not something we’re going to go into hock for.”

What Winthrop is doing is probably the next logical step for Beggs and Schaus, should they ever open the door. No referendum, just see if the potential funding is there.

Comment

The fact that they haven't done that and looked to see what's really there is what bugs a lot of people. Some people won't be happy until we have football and I can understand that to a point. But there's a lot of talk outside of the program amongst the average joes of the world, and with so many other programs adding or looking to add football it's hard to believe that WSU won't even open up the discussion.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        The fact that they haven't done that and looked to see what's really there is what bugs a lot of people. Some people won't be happy until we have football and I can understand that to a point. But there's a lot of talk outside of the program amongst the average joes of the world, and with so many other programs adding or looking to add football it's hard to believe that WSU won't even open up the discussion.
        I would love to see football, but if they were to look into it, then provide all the found info, I would accept their answer if it was no. But it kills me that they aren't even open to the discussion.

Comment

Exactly. I could accept it too. I'd be disappointed that that's how it fell but at least the effort to look into it would be done. There are a number of other schools adding or looking to that don't have the money that WSU does, or could have. I can't help but wonder....
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think it's safe to say that there is no support for even looking at football in the current athletic department or the administration.

Comment

Originally posted by shocky
              I think it's safe to say that there is no support for even looking at football in the current athletic department or the administration.
              It unfortunately looks to be that way. :(

Comment

Working...
              X