X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football trivia

So, I was listening to AM 1410 monitoring the Atlanta/Houston football game this afternoon when the radio announcer mentioned Wichita State. Obviously I became intrigued and this guy goes on to tell a story about football celebrations and one particular memory he has of one.

He states back in the day, he remembers the Wichita State Shockers were beating a ranked Alabama squad at halftime. As halftime ended, the Wichita State coach was jumping up and down with joy and landed wrong and ended up tearing his knee.

My question is, who was the coach and did the Shox win that game? The radio announcer did not give this information. He also mentioned the Martin Gramatica incident as well. Funny how a guy covering this NFL game would mention of all incidents something as obscure as a WSU/Alabama game.

Re: Football trivia

Originally posted by KC Shox
    So, I was listening to AM 1410 monitoring the Atlanta/Houston football game this afternoon when the radio announcer mentioned Wichita State. Obviously I became intrigued and this guy goes on to tell a story about football celebrations and one particular memory he has of one.

He states back in the day, he remembers the Wichita State Shockers were beating a ranked Alabama squad at halftime. As halftime ended, the Wichita State coach was jumping up and down with joy and landed wrong and ended up tearing his knee.

My question is, who was the coach and did the Shox win that game? The radio announcer did not give this information. He also mentioned the Martin Gramatica incident as well. Funny how a guy covering this NFL game would mention of all incidents something as obscure as a WSU/Alabama game.
    I seem to recall it being a home basketball game against the Tide... wasn't it Mike Cohen who jumped for joy and tore his knee?
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Football, not basketball

Comment

Looking at the College Football Data Warehouse, Bama is 1-0 all time vs. Wichita State. That was 1979 and Bama won 38-0.

Must have been somebody other than Bama...Here is the Wichita State page.

Comment

Or maybe he was just referring to celebrations and it was basketball and WstateU is remembering correctly?
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I am positively, 100 percent sure the announcer was telling a story about Wichita State. I heard him use the term Shockers and Wichita State at least twice. Now, I could have sworn he said football but I am not sure, since I was not really too involved in the broadcast until I heard the word Shockers.

Someone needs to check the archives.

Comment

It was Mike Cohen in a basketball game. 100% sure of this.

Comment

I don't know what the announcer said but as ABC said, the reference was to Mike Cohen's crowning achievement.

I remember the Alabama game. Prince was QB and I think a freshman. At some point in the game WSU made a big play to get to the Bama 1 (it was close if we actually scored or not). McJunkins attempted a QB sneak on 4 consecutive plays without success. At least not from the officials. Prince scored at least twice, but the Bear wanted his shutout and what the Bear wanted, the officials did.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  It was Mike Cohen in a basketball game. 100% sure of this.
                  Phil Mendelson had his best game as a shocker against the Tide.

Wimp Sanderson was the Alabama coach. After the loss he said he owed the state of Alabama an apology. He was later fired from his job for assaulting his administrative assistant.

Comment

Working...
                  X