Iona College Football bites the dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iona College Football bites the dust

I'm not sure that Iona or any other MAAC teams belong in D1 in any sport, but it's still sad to see a school lose football. I'm not sure this even matters in the discussion about WSU football since the schools are so different. Iona is like Friends University (no insult) playing D1 sports out East. Even so, it does trouble me that we are seeing schools drop the sport.

Iona College has announced that it is dropping its football program effective immediately on Thursday.

Iona Collge drops football program, effective immediately

Associated Press
    Updated: November 20, 2008, 10:19 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Iona College has announced that it is dropping its football program effective immediately on Thursday.

The football program at the Catholic college in suburban Westchester County began as a club in 1967 before moving to Division III in 1978.

Iona College went to I-AA in 1993 as a founding member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The Gaels had three winning seasons before six MAAC football schools folded their programs during 2002-07, leaving only Marist College and Iona after last season.

Iona's Director of Athletics Patrick Lyons said the dissolution of the MAAC Football League after the 2007 season and "the lack of equitable opponents in Division I FCS football" sealed the team's fate.

Iona finished the season 3-8.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Working...
X