2017-18 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    As long as he doesn't ground his club in the hazard, he can prance around in the sand as long as he wants. A rules official should have a conversation with him about speed of play however.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      The alligator's passing through must have rattled the Shocks. For the second consecutive day the shoot the high round of the day and as feared they did fall to dead last in 10th place. The Shocks finished 50 strokes behind winner South Florida and finished 7 shots behind 9th place UConn.

While the top 4 teams all had below par team scores in today's final round the Shocks came it a +14 on the day and +40 for the tournament.

Gage Ihrig shot a 2-over 73 today to finish the tournament in a tie for 15th on the individual board. Adrien Michellod also shot a 73 and finished in 23rd place individuaully. The other 3 shocks finished T-39th, T-45th and 49th in the 50-man field.

Not sure what happened to or with Yannick Emmert this year. He was the Valley Golfer of the Year last year but had not played well this year.

It would appear that after winning a mulltitude of Championships in the Valley that golf will find the competition in the AAC to be much, much tougher.

Clearly a disappointing result and a disappointing year for the Shocker men's golf team.

Live Stats
      I bet Grier is about to go Tommy Bolt on those boys!!!

Comment

Has Grier lost the 'eye of the tiger'? Just asking for a friend.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I bet Grier is about to go Tommy Bolt on those boys!!!
          Maybe. But don't forget. You Bolt for show you recruit for dough.

I don't know much about it but it seems to me like Coach Jones maybe recruiting against our weather as much as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            Has Grier lost the 'eye of the tiger'? Just asking for a friend.
            Tell your one eyed tiger friend Grier is getting soft on the back-9 of life.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Tell your one eyed tiger friend Grier is getting soft on the back-9 of life.
              Done...

3979934718_590b5984b6_b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                You make me LMAO on s regular basis.

Comment

Judd Easterling‏ @JuddEasterling May 8.

Future @GoShockersMGLF players taking home some serious hardware today in Oklahoma! Congrats to Grayson Wallace for taking home the 5A title & to @polhill17 for taking home the 6A title. #LESGOOO

Shocker Men's Golf Class of 2018 also includes:

Comment

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, nice!

When I posted ACJE's twitter about the Shocker recruits winning the Oklahoma Class 6A and Class 5A Championships I wondered to myself if Caoch Easterling might not be a head coach in waiting for the Shocks. Not trying to run HCGJ off but he did turn 72 earlier this month and I wonder how long he wants to keep doing this. OTOH, men's golf is not exactly under the microscope at Wichita State so it is not an especially high pressure situation so HCGJ could go quite awhile if he wants to and as far as I know he enjoys it. Maybe SHOXAAC has some insight on that.

Anyway the reason I bring it up is that Judd Easterling was promoted to Associate Head Coach after 2 years as an assistant under HCGJ. I am not sure we have ever had an Associate Head Coach in our men's golf program so perhaps this is just another sign that some transition planning may be occurring.

It would be interesting to know who took the lead in recruiting the two Oklahoma high school state champs into the Shocker fold.

In any case, congrats to Coach Easterling on his promotion.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/5/29...ead-coach.aspx
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 29, 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

When I posted ACJE's twitter about the Shocker recruits winning the Oklahoma Class 6A and Class 5A Championships I wondered to myself if Caoch Easterling might not be a head coach in waiting for the Shocks. Not trying to run HCGJ off but he did turn 72 earlier this month and I wonder how long he wants to keep doing this. OTOH, men's golf is not exactly under the microscope at Wichita State so it is not an especially high pressure situation so HCGJ could go quite awhile if he wants to and as far as I know he enjoys it. Maybe SHOXAAC has some insight on that.

Anyway the reason I bring it up is that Judd Easterling was promoted to Associate Head Coach after 2 years as an assistant under HCGJ. I am not sure we have ever had an Associate Head Coach in our men's golf program so perhaps this is just another sign the some transition planning may be occurring.

It would be interesting to know who took the lead in recruiting the two Oklahoma high school state champs into the Shocker fold.

Those are sharp looking UA polo shirts.

Comment

Anyway the reason I bring it up is that Judd Easterling was promoted to Associate Head Coach after 2 years as an assistant under HCGJ. I am not sure we have ever had an Associate Head Coach in our men's golf program so perhaps this is just another sign the some transition planning may be occurring.

No particular sharp insights here. I think the Associate Head Coaching tag is being seen more and more with college/university athletics. Yes, Grier is getting long in the tooth and Judd was one of Grier's finest golfers over his time. Judd is very good at relating to today's student-athlete and WSU is very lucky to have him in this role. There is a chance I will cross paths with Judd later in June. If so, I will congratulate him in person on his recent promotion and encourage him to continue his pursuit of being a model coach for our men's golf student-athletes.

Comment

Zac Owens who redshirted as a Shocker freshman this past season has made the finals of the 2018 Kansas Amateur Championship at Firekeeper Golf Course in Mayetta (about 25 miles north of Topeka).

After the two 18-hole stroke play rounds Zac was tied for 35th at 4-over par 148 and was seeded #36 of the 64 players qualifying for match play. Match play wins over the #29, #4, #13 and #24 seeds have Zac in Sunday's 36-hole match play final against Sion Audrain, seeded #30 after stroke play who will be a Freshman at KU next year.

Go get him Zac!

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 22, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

After the 1st 18 holes Zac is 1-up.

Zac happy this is match play. He shot a 73 on the opening 18 to Audrain's 71. Zac lost the 1st 2 holes, won the 3rd hole with a par 4 then shot a 6 on the Par 5 4th hole while Audrain eagled that hole to fall back by 2. However, Zac rallied to shoot 1-under over the final 14 holes winning enough to go 1-up at the halfway point of the finals.

Zac won the 2nd hole of the 2nd 18 to go 2-up but lost the next two holes to square the match. However, Zac won 3 of the final 4 holes on the front 9 to go 3-up with 9 holes to play in what has been a back and forth affair so far.

Now Audrain goes Eagle, Par, Birdie, Birdie to win 3 out of 4 holes and the match is again all square after 35 holes.

Zac boies the final hole while Audrain pars to complete a bit late rally and wins the 2018 Kansas Amateur. Really tough way to lose for Zac. Have to give credit ot the kid from Garden City though. That was a hell of a finish shooting 4-under over the final 5 holes.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 22, 2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X