Why don't the Shockers play soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't the Shockers play soccer?

I was looking over your sports at GoShockers.com and a few things surprised me - no soccer and only 2 Fall sports (XC and volleyball). Is soccer (or Fall sports in general) not popular in Kansas? Have there been talks about adding anything else (in Bardo's master plan)?

Would love to have soccer.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I'm thrilled to see WSU not fielding soccer. Adding non-revenue sports just drains resources from existing programs.

Let's get baseball working again before we even think about adding another sport.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
        I was looking over your sports at GoShockers.com and a few things surprised me - no soccer and only 2 Fall sports (XC and volleyball). Is soccer (or Fall sports in general) not popular in Kansas? Have there been talks about adding anything else (in Bardo's master plan)?
        Our town is soccer crazy, and it's a long overdue shame that we do not have D1 soccer here.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Our town is soccer crazy, and it's a long overdue shame that we do not have D1 soccer here.
          I have to agree. Soccer is relatively cheap in the scheme of things as well.

Comment

Upon a closer look...No football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse...

Does Wichita have a thing against sports played on rectangular grass fields? Too much wheat/no room for grass? :playful:

Comment

I'd prefer wrasslin'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Upon a closer look...No football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse...

Does Wichita have a thing against sports played on rectangular grass fields? Too much wheat/no room for grass? :playful:
                Of course, no school in the American plays more conference sports than UConn and, when including sports not sponsored by the AAC, the Huskies play 4 more sports than any other conference member. So, I guess you could ask a similar question of other conference mates.

We do have more conference men's sports than SMU, Temple, and UCF and the same number as Tulane and Houston. We also have the same number of women's conference sports as Temple and Tulane.

That means we have more total conference sports than Temple, the same number as Tulane, and just one less than SMU and UCF.

I guess that's not too bad. :playful:

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I see that FC Wichita had a near capacity crowd for their 5-1 win over Tulsa Athletic to win the NPSL's Heartland Conference Championship. I think that would be a crowd of about 2,000.

Do you know what FC Wichita averages in attendance?

If and when WSU does add any new programs Soccer would seem to be the probable pick. Not sure we will do anything for now though until we feel more established and secure in the AAC.

Does anyone know if the consultant's report that was undertaken to reportedly review all aspects of WSU's athletic program discussed Soccer?
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I would imagine since the consultant's report looked at adding football that the only other sports looked at would be women;s sports to offset the football scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      I see that FC Wichita had a near capacity crowd for their 5-1 win over Tulsa Athletic to win the NPSL's Heartland Conference Championship. I think that would be a crowd of about 2,000.

2000? Unimpressive.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

UCONN has been Top 3 in attendance for over a decade. We average about 3500 per game. I love going to games.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                          2000? Unimpressive.
                          UCONN has been Top 3 in attendance for over a decade. We average about 3500 per game. I love going to games.
                          Sooo???

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Sooo???
                            Sooo 2000 would be a good number for a college soccer game. Seems like Wichita would have the fans to get that number.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If and when WSU does add any new programs Soccer would seem to be the probable pick. Not sure we will do anything for now though until we feel more established and secure in the AAC.

Does anyone know if the consultant's report that was undertaken to reportedly review all aspects of WSU's athletic program discussed Soccer?
                              I suppose FC Wichita might be a decent gauge to test the temperature. But you can count me as one family that would buy season tickets to WSU Soccer, but won't attend FC Wichita games.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X