Shocker Men to AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Men to AAC

A thread was started on the Women's Sports forum to discuss the impact of the move to the AAC on Wichita State women's programs. Thought we would have the same discussion about WSU men's sports programs.

Obviously, it is a big step up from the Valley in Men's Basketball which is driving the entire situation. No need to really discuss that. So how will this impact XC and Track and Field, Baseball, Golf and Tennis.

Hard to know for sure in XC and Track and Field but I would expect the Shocks to field competitive teams and to continue to be a strong multi-event school. As far as league competition is concerned this boils down to 3 championship meets per year. The Shocks may or may not run across most of the other AAC schools in other meets. So with the exception of the Championship meets not much will change. Time will tell how competitive the Shocks will be but I sure don't expect this to be a step down in competition.

Shocker baseball obviously is in need of fixing. Currently 8 teams play baseball in the AAC. Same as the Valley. The Shocks will make that 9. At this point of the season WarrenNolan.com has the AAC at 5th in RPI and 5th in NPI. He has the Valley at 13th in RPI and 10th in NPI. So this would appear to be a step up in competition from the Valley. AAC schools playing baseball (and their current RPI's) include Houston (15), South Florida (19), East Carolina (49), UCF (72), Memphis (80), UConn (109), Cincy (131) and Tulane (258). The Shocks current RPI is (108).

It looks like all 11 AAC full members field men's golf teams. My expectation, with the number of warm weather locations in the AAC that golf will be more challenging in the AAC then it has been in the MVC.

Men's Tennis is on the endangered species list in the Valley. Only SIU, Drake, Illinois State and Wichita State are fielding teams this year and SIU is dropping its men's and women's tennis teams at the end of this year. In fact, the Valley no longer has enough teams to qualify for an auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament on its own. Looks like all 11 AAC full members play men's tennis. 4 AAC teams are currently ranked in the Top 50 ITA rankings. There are no Valley teams in the Top 50. A definite step up.

So as with the Women's sports it looks to me like a move the AAC for our men's sports overall is a definite step up. I don't think any of the men's sports would be consideered a step down.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 21, 2017, 04:56 PM.

In track, the men's AAC and the MVC are pretty similar overall. Right now Houston in the dominant track team with Leroy Burrell as head coach and the legendary Carl Lewis as the sprint/jump coach so, as you can imagine, they are dominant in the AAC in the sprints. They are also one of the top teams in the NCAA right now. WSU would battle them at the top of the conference I believe because of the Shockers depth and balance.

Comment

I would hate for WSU to lose it's tennis teams due to Valley cut-backs. Another reason I'm all in on WSU to the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        I would hate for WSU to lose it's tennis teams due to Valley cut-backs. Another reason I'm all in on WSU to the AAC.
        I don't think the Shocks could lose both their men's and women's tennis teams without adding something else and still maintain D-1 membership.

You have to have 7 men's sports and 7 women's sports or, alternatively you can have 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports.

The Shocks currently sponsor 7 men's sports and 8 women's sports (Indoor Track & Field and Outdoor Track & Field are counted as two separate sports although the athletes are mostly the same).

If the Shocks dropped men's tennis they would be at the D-1 minimum of 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports. If they dropped women's tennis they would have to add another women's sport to meet the NCAA D-1 requirements. I don't see that as likely.

I think we could still field a men's tennis team even if everyone else in the Valley dropped their programs although it would mean only at-large bids as the only avenue to play in the NCAA Tournament.

But as far as Men's Tennis is concerned the AAC is far, far superior to the Valley.

Comment

To follow up on the soccer discussion from the Conference Realignment Thread on the Men's Basketball forum I did find the 2016 attendance statistics for the AAC in men's soccer.

The average home attendance for the league (8 teams) was 984 per match with an average of 9.75 home games per team. This ranges from a low of 318/match for Tulsa to a high of 3,822/match for UConn. Without UConn, which is somewhat of an outlier, the per match average for the men is 566. Not sure what the story is at UConn that they draw 7x the league average.

One thing that might favor Wichita State is that soccrer is played in the fall and Wichita State does not field a football team. Creighton's men's program drew an average of 2,603 per match over 13 home matches (including 2 matches in the NCAA Tournament).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            To follow up on the soccer discussion from the Conference Realignment Thread on the Men's Basketball forum I did find the 2016 attendance statistics for the AAC in men's soccer.

The average home attendance for the league (8 teams) was 984 per match with an average of 9.75 home games per team. This ranges from a low of 318/match for Tulsa to a high of 3,822/match for UConn. Without UConn, which is somewhat of an outlier, the per match average for the men is 566. Not sure what the story is at UConn that they draw 7x the league average.

One thing that might favor Wichita State is that soccrer is played in the fall and Wichita State does not field a football team. Creighton's men's program drew an average of 2,603 per match over 13 home matches (including 2 matches in the NCAA Tournament).
            I would bet we could at least get a couple thousand to see WSU soccer. And it's probably going to be cheap enough that I would bring my young kids to games.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
              I would bet we could at least get a couple thousand to see WSU soccer. And it's probably going to be cheap enough that I would bring my young kids to games.
              And that is important to getting a program going. Youth interest right off the bat is necessary.

Comment

AAC sports not played by WSU:
                - Football
                - Soccer
                - Swimming/Diving

Though football is not in the cards (at this point, if ever), but I would like to see all of the olympic sports played in our new conference.
                The Assman

Comment

WSU tennis, golf, prepare for warm weather in American

Comment

Hopefully, the better competition will be good for our golf and tennis programs. Not sure scheduling will change greatly however since they don't play a conference schedule but it might be easier to schedule the better AAC schools now that we are a member.

The golf teams go mostly south anyways. Maybe they will head to Florida once or twice a year for touranment instead Arizona or California.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 19, 2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X