2016-17 Shocker Indoor Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-17 Shocker Indoor Track & Field

Since I screwed up the title on the intial thread I decided to start a new thread with the correct school year since I could not get an administrator to change that.

Here is a link to the previous thread if anyone is interested. http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...rack-amp-Field

The Valley Indoor Championships are about a month away. Most of what the Shocks will be doing between now and then will be to try to hit their peak performance at that time.

Wichita St T&F/XC
    @GoShockersTFXC
    4 hours ago

Hunter Veith has just broken the WSU Heptathlon record! Waiting for official results.

Wichita St T&F/XC@GoShockersTFXC 4 hours ago

Veith's official record-breaking score is 5777! With the conversion for a 200m track it will put him around 5800 and will qualify to NCAA's!

GoShockers.com report.

Veith broke the previous school record held by Krzysztof Slupkowski, a total of 5,558 points, that he set in 2011.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 27, 2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Shocker Senior Ugis Jocis set a new school record in the indoor 3K at the University of Washington Invitational on Saturday with a time of 8:07.18 breaking the 23 year old record of 8:09.83 set by All-American Mornay Annandale in 1992.

SEATTLE, Wash.  --  Ugis Jocis set the Wichita State men's indoor 3,000 meter record today with a time of 8:07.18 at the University of Washington Invitational inside the Dempsey Indoor Facility.

As is often the case when a school record is set it involves a very strong field to pull you along. Ugis' school record run was only good enough for 14th in a filed that included several pro runners and was won by Washington's Cody Gilbert in 7:45.71 which broke his own school record and was the 6th best time in the world this year.

All-American Colby Gilbert continued the torrid start to his track season today, gliding around the purple Dempsey Indoor oval to break his own 3,000-meter school record in emphatic fashion, the big highlight that capped the two-day UW Invitational.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Former Shocker multi-event standout Austin Bahner, representing the Shocker Track Club, won the Heptathlon at the Herm Wilson Invitational on Friday and Saturday with a score of 5,715 points out-distancing Shocker So. Ben Johnson who finished 2nd with a PR of 5,258.

As in the women's pentathlon this was primarily a Shocker intra-squad competition as none of the other 3 D-1 schools that are participating this weekend fielded any multi-event athletes.

Hunter Veith who set a new Shocker Heptathlon record with 5,777 points last week did not partake in this weeks heptathlon. Hunter is participating in the open pole vault, the 60m hurdles and the 60m dash today.

Comment

Shocker Sr. Ugis Jocis just missed setting a new PR in winning the 800m run in1:51.75 and So. Zack Penrod set a new PR finishing 2nd in 1:52.00

Comment

The Shocker men's Distance Medley Relay team of Sr. Ugis Jocis, So. Connor Stine, So. Zack Penrod and Jr. Aaron Miller broke a 45 year old WSU record in winning the event at the Arkansas Tyson Invitational with a time of 9:50.45 barely besting the 9:51.00 set in 1972 by Cooper, McAlister, Smith and Walker. I guess this record is so old they don't even remember the first names of the previous record holders. I assume Smith is Randy Smith and Walker is Alan Walker. Not sure about Cooper and McAlister.

I believe a DMR consists of a 1200m leg (Zack), a 400m leg (Aaron), a 800m leg (Connor) and a 1600m leg (Ugis) or about 2.5 miles. I am guessing a bit on who ran which leg so this may not be totally accurate.

At Pitt State Shocker Sr. Cody Sheck set a PR in the 400m race at 48.52 seconds.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark./PITTSBURG, Kan.  --  Wichita State's indoor track and field teams set school records in the men's Distance Medley Relay, women's 4x400 meter relay and the women's 400 meters Saturday at the Tyson Invitational and the Pitt State Gorilla Classic.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 11, 2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              The Shocker men's Distance Medley Relay team of Sr. Ugis Jocis, So. Connor Stine, So. Zack Penrod and Jr. Aaron Miller broke a 45 year old WSU record in winning the event at the Arkansas Tyson Invitational with a time of 9:50.45 barely besting the 9:51.00 set in 1972 by Cooper, McAlister, Smith and Walker. I guess this record is so old they don't even remember the first names of the previous record holders. I assume Smith is Randy Smith and Walker is Alan Walker. Not sure about Cooper and McAlister.

I believe a DMR consists of a 1200m leg (Zack), a 400m leg (Aaron), a 800m leg (Connor) and a 1600m leg (Ugis) or about 2.5 miles. I am guessing a bit on who ran which leg so this may not be totally accurate.

At Pitt State Shocker Sr. Cody Sheck set a PR in the 400m race at 48.52 seconds.

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2017/...-saturday.aspx
              I'm going to guess Alice Cooper and Ernie McAlister.

Comment

On a more serious note, I am concerned about the lack of depth, at least as I look at it and the lack of youth on both the men's and women's T&F teams.

If you look at the form charts, it's the same 4 or so names on both sides. They can't run every event, and they are almost all seniors. What do you think @1972Shocker:?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  On a more serious note, I am concerned about the lack of depth, at least as I look at it and the lack of youth on both the men's and women's T&F teams.

If you look at the form charts, it's the same 4 or so names on both sides. They can't run every event, and they are almost all seniors. What do you think @1972Shocker?
                  Yeah, I think we will be graduating some very talented athletes on both the men's and women's teams ncuding some of the best muliti-event athetes in schoo history I really have not look at this in-dpeth. I think Hunter Veith is Junior in eligibility. I was thinking he was a Senior earlier in the year and I don't know if I misread that or if they were waiting on a medical redhsirt ruling or what. But he is listed as a Junior now. The women's team definitey lose some heavy hitters in Nikki and Taylor Larch-Miller, Breanne Borman, Marteisha Caines, Gavyn Yetter, Sydney Hirsch, Jameisa Milton and Gavyn Yetter. Not sure Nikki and Taylor are replacable. They may have been a once in a coaching career get for Coach Rainbolt.

As far as the young talent I think we have some decent talent. Just not sure about the depth of that talent. Need to look at that bit more critically. Maybe @goshox74 has some thoughts on that.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 15, 2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

The women graduate a huge amount of high quality athletes this year, most notably Nikki and Taylor Larch-Miller. There are others like Borman, Yetter, Caines, Milton, Hirsch but the L-M's are the most significant. That being said, last year WSU won the MVC Outdoor title with Nikki redshirting and Taylor, who was injured, scoring only one point. This 2017 is probably one of, if not the best, teams WSU has ever had in track and field. You won't be able to immediately replace that group but even with the dropoff next year, they should still be one of the top teams in the Valley.

The men don't graduate near as much as the women this year. Next year (2018) will be a big year of graduation for them.

The Valley is a very strong track and field conference so WSU will need to keep the pedal on the metal to stay on top.

The WSU T&F Twitter account announced about a dozen women signee's in November so the coaching staff appears to be working hard to keep WSU strong in track and field.

Comment

Speaking of young talent, @goshox74 do you know wha the status of Jared Belardo is? I am assuming he has been dealing with an injury.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 15, 2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Correct, he is dealing with an injury. We'll see if his is available next week at the MVC Indoor Championships. I think it's 50/50.

Comment

Shocks favored unanimously to win both the Valley Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field Championships this weekend at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls.

GoShockers.com Report

Missouri Valley Pre-Championship Poll Release

Comment

MVC Indoor Track & Field Championship Central

Portions of the meet will be televised on ESPN3. Saturday beginning at 6:30 pm CT and Sunday at 1:15 pm CT.

Comment

Hunter Veith (3,261), Kaden Griffith (3,037) and Ben Johnson (3,036) are leading the Heptathlon after Day 1.

John Nicholas and Tyler Knight are in 9th and 10th.

Not as dominant as the Shocker women in the Pentathlon but Shocks are in good position with the 60H, PV and 1,000M remaining tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X