Geogia State with Dan Reeves officially adds football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geogia State with Dan Reeves officially adds football

Can anyone say Bill Snyder or Bill Parcels?

ATLANTA (April 12, 2007) - Georgia State University President Carl Patton has announced that Dan Reeves has been retained as a Football Consultant for the study of starting football at Georgia State.

ATLANTA (April 12, 2007) - Georgia State University President Carl Patton has announced that Dan Reeves has been retained as a Football Consultant for the study of starting football at Georgia State.
    “Obviously, we are not saying that we are starting a football team, but we are aggressively looking for the answers to see if the financial support will meet the emotional support in order to do that,” Director of Athletics Mary McElroy said. “If we find that the Georgia State and Atlanta communities would financially embrace this, we realize it is still three to four more years before we could ever field a team,” she added. “Since this project is a gargantuan task, Georgia State knew it would take someone special to help us tackle this assignment and help us stir up the necessary passion for getting a football team. So, we are turning to a true football expert to be our team quarterback,” McElroy concluded.
    Dan Reeves is a former Americus, Georgia high school quarterback who was once the Most Valuable Player of the Georgia High School All-Star Game. He was a stellar college SEC quarterback who went on to play NFL football as a running back for the Dallas Cowboys. Coach Reeves was an NFL head coach for 23 years and has extensive ties in the football world and state of Georgia.
    With his expertise in football and contacts with coaches, many of whom are in the college ranks, Georgia State looks to capitalize on his knowledge and relationships.
    Georgia State, the second largest university in the state with more than 26,000 students, has completed a Football Feasibility Study and held Town Hall meetings with its faculty, staff and student body to address the possibility of a football program at the University Championship Division level (formerly Division I-AA).
    As a member of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), Georgia State would look at becoming the eighth member of that league to have football. Currently, Delaware, James Madison, Hofstra, Northeastern, Towson, William & Mary field teams, with Old Dominion slated to begin in 2009. Other teams who will play football in 2007 as associate members of the CAA are Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond and Villanova.
    Costs to maintain a football program, according to the Feasibility Study, would range around $6 Million annually, with an estimated start-up cost of $7.8 Million for Georgia State’s program

“Obviously, we are not saying that we are starting a football team, but we are aggressively looking for the answers to see if the financial support will meet the emotional support in order to do that,” Director of Athletics Mary McElroy said. “If we find that the Georgia State and Atlanta communities would financially embrace this, we realize it is still three to four more years before we could ever field a team,” she added.
    Sounds like he is helping them to DECIDE whether or not to start a football program.

Costs to maintain a football program, according to the Feasibility Study, would range around $6 Million annually, with an estimated start-up cost of $7.8 Million for Georgia State’s program
    Are those the kind of $'s WSU would be facing to bring back football?

Comment

There was a interview in USA today last Monday May 28 were Parcels
      said he wasnt done coaching! He also thought the college game is different than the pros. While reading it I thought I wonder if he consider WSU's revival. :posterwsu: :good:
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Georgia State takes step toward football program
        Sufficient financial commitments have been made to move the process to the next phase.

By STAN AWTREY
        The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/28/07

Nearly 100 people were crammed into Tony's American Grille in Roswell on Wednesday night, most of them to talk about college football. But the topic wasn't Georgia Tech or Georgia; neither a buzz nor a woof could be heard. The program of choice was Georgia State.

Applause intermixed with a few "woo-woos" came when football consultant Dan Reeves picked up a helmet, painted in school colors and decorated with a logo, and held it aloft.

Yes, the tipping point has been reached. Alumni interest is there, and donations have been adequate enough to proceed. If students agree to an activity-fee increase next month, the program should be placed on the fast track. Georgia State could have its football team up and running by 2010.

"There's support for it now," said Bill Reeves, a 1959 GSU graduate who attended the meeting with his wife, Susan. Reeves, who is not related to Dan Reeves, has been a member of the athletics board for 12 years. "I'm talking for it and I'm supporting it," he said.

On the other end of the age spectrum is Justin Breit

felder, who earned his risk management degree in the spring. He's one of the younger alums in favor of the move. "I think football will fly," he said.

The school has more than $1.2 million in commitments, enough to move forward. The next big step comes Oct. 19, when a 15-person committee, seven of them students, hears a proposal to increase the student-activity fee to $85 per semester, a move that would generate more than $5 million. If that happens, school President Carl V. Patton is expected to give his OK by November and send the plan to the Board of Regents, which likely would rubber-stamp its approval in the spring.

"We're going pretty strong

down that road," said Tom Lewis, the school's vice president for external affairs. "The

support is pretty strong, and we're hearing it. I just spent three days on the road with the president, and at the beginning of every meeting the first question we heard was, 'How is football coming along.' The interest is there."

Supporters contend football is more viable at Georgia State since nearly 5,000 students will soon be living on campus. That's a far cry from the days when the school catered to commuters.

"When I went to Georgia State, I'd have to go to Athens for football games," Breitfelder said. "When you lived in the student village, there was no reason to stay there. Having football would change that and help school spirit."

Georgia State athletics director Mary McElroy

ssaidd that it looks like a football program will be hatched, but there are other questions that must be answered.

• The school would play its games at the Georgia Dome but would need to find a location for practice facilities.

• The addition of football would throw the Title IX statistics out of line, meaning the school would need to add two or three intercollegiate sports for women. Lacrosse would likely be the first.

• Additional money would need to be allocated for support programs such as cheerleaders and the band.

• A coach and staff would need to be hired and given a chance to recruit. There was no question that the supporters on hand at Tony's want to see Reeves go from consultant to coach.

Georgia State would compete at the Division I-AA level against the likes of Georgia Southern, not against Georgia Tech or Georgia. That would be OK, said Dave Cohen, who works in the Georgia State alumni relations office and is the longtime radio "Voice of the Panthers."

"I broadcast the Furman football games, and nobody up there [in South Carolina] is worried about the Clemson or South Carolina games," Cohen said. "Furman has its own niche, and that's what Georgia State needs to carve out."

Comment

that would be about the coolest thing ever..
          what a way that would be to bring back football at WSU ...
          have Parcells coaching the SHOX!

Comment

Committee unanimously approves fee increases in support of football and student activities at Georgia State University

ATLANTA - The Georgia State University Mandatory Student Fee Committee today (Oct. 19) unanimously approved a proposal from the Athletics Department for an $85 per semester increase to support football, additional women’s sports and a marching band program. The committee also unanimously approved a $35 increase request from the Student Activity Fee Committee that would increase funding for student organizations, fine arts programming and a lecture and concert series.Douglass Covey, vice president for student affairs, said the committee vote brings closer to reality the possibility of an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) team at the university.The next step, following consideration by a university senate committee, will be for Georgia State President Carl Patton to make a recommendation to the University System of Georgia Board of Regents.“For many years, the Georgia State student body has been extremely positive in voicing its desire for the university to field a football team,” Patton said. “I’m delighted that the students have supported the increase.”Last April, Georgia State hired former Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Reeves as a consultant to examine the feasibility of adding football at the university. If football does become the 17th NCAA Division I sport at the university, the earliest it could field a team would be 2010, according to Athletic Director Mary McElroy.
            Full article: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwexa/news/arc...9-football.htm

Comment

An extra $85 bucks a year from the students is all it would take to field an FCS team?

Georgia State seems to be doing it the right way. Hire Dan Reeves (big name) to get the ball rolling, and advocate the importance to the students.

Hmm, what big football name is closely associated with Shocker Football?

Comment

Does Parcels ever get involved with alum activies or WSU in anyway?
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I bet he'd be more likely if football were still here.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Where do I send my $85 to bring back WSU football?

Comment

GSU plans first football game for 2010

By ANDREA JONES
                      The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/15/08

Georgia State University's long planned football team is becoming a reality and its students will foot part of the bill.The Board of Regents on Tuesday approved an $85 increase in Georgia State's athletic fee for fall semester, paving the way for university to play its first game in 2010.A football team has long been the dream of retiring GSU president Carl Patton, who has overseen dramatic changes at the former-commuter school in his 16 years at the helm.Still, Patton and other GSU officials declined to comment on Tuesday, preferring to wait until Thursday, when they said an official announcement will be made.Regents approved tuition and fees for all 35 public colleges and universities at a meeting in Columbus.Georgia State University's overall fees will go from $494 to $600 in the fall, the largest hike among schools. Georgia Tech's fees will increase by $19, to $592 in the fall. UGA students will pay $24 more, to $587. A committee of Georgia State students approved the proposed jump earlier in 2007.For several years, the school has been morphing from a commuter-based community into a more traditional university.
                      By 2015, Patton has said, GSU plans to house 20 percent of its 50,000 full- and part-time students on campus, a sea change for the institution. Georgia State has raised more than $1 million dollars in pledges toward the football program. The team will likely play its first season in the Georgia Dome.

Comment

Notice though, that that $85 is based on 50,000 students.

Comment

Working...
                        X