No announcement yet.

"It was such a disastrous day."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really proud of all the student athletes that attended. I realize it might not mean a lot to them, but it damn sure does to many in this board, and a lot of alumni.

Thank you.

Comment

It's about that time again.

Go Shockers - Memorial '70 Set for Oct. 2

At 9 a.m. Monday, Oct. 2, Wichita State will host the 53rd Observance of Memorial '70. The ceremony will honor the 31 WSU football players, administrators and supporters who died in a 1970 plane crash in the Rocky Mountains. It will take place at the Memorial near 18th and Hillside.

A wreath will be placed at the base of Memorial '70, and there will be a time of remembrance to acknowledge the changes that the plane crash made in the lives of the victims, their families, their friends and the university.

Those interested in making a tax-deductible contribution in memory of the crash victims can give to the Football '70 Memorial Scholarship, the only endowed scholarship at WSU dedicated in collective memory to those who died in the tragedy.

The scholarship is awarded each year to a student of any major with at least a 3.0 GPA who demonstrates financial need.

Contributions can be made through the WSU Foundation, 1845 Fairmount St., Wichita, KS 67260-0002, for the Football '70 Memorial Scholarship.

Contributions also may be made online. Request to direct your gift to the Football '70 Memorial Scholarship at www.wichita.edu/give.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WSU - Memorial '70 families receive piece of Cessna Stadium as tribute to WSU's football history

Cessna Stadium opened in 1969 as a place meant to propel Wichita State football into a new era.

A crowd of 28,245 watched the Shockers defeat Utah State 17-7 on Sept. 13 of that year. The stadium featured stands that expanded the capacity to 31,500 from 12,500. A year-long fund-raising effort for $1.5 million resulted in “lush, green synthetic grass” known as Poly-Turf, a two-level press box with private boxes, covered seating for the 220 Turf Club members and a new running track.

“It was so cool – I was from back East and the stadiums held maybe 3-4,000 people,” said Ed Plopa, a freshman defensive back in 1969. “When we played Utah State, that place was going nuts.”

This Monday, as part of the Memorial ’70 ceremony, football players, friends and families from those years received a piece of Cessna Stadium seating.

Memorial ’70 is the annual remembrance held on Oct. 2 to honor the 31 people — WSU football players, administrators, supporters and flight crew — who died in a plane crash in Colorado in 1970.

Over the summer, the east stands of Cessna Stadium were demolished as part of a multi-year project that will remake the stadium. Former WSU Foundation Vice President Mike Lamb proposed the idea to preserve some of the stadium and share it with the Memorial ’70 group.

WSU’s Building Trades staff at the Gaddis Physical Plant retrieved the seating and cut the metal into 10-inch-by 9-inch sections. Students at the Innovation Hub etched the dates of Veterans Field (1946-1968) and Cessna Stadium (1969-2023) on 70 of seats. They also designed, stained and attached oak end pieces.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Go Shockers - Memorial '70 Set for Oct. 2

Not going to lie. This was well before I was born but I've been taking in everything I can for years. Stories about the crash, both local and not. Hearing from the survivors, the rescuers and those left behind... You didn't have to live through the experience to feel it. Not saying it's on the same level and I openly admit I've always been more sensitive to the pain of others than the average person. But every year, for at least 25 years now, I've absorbed everything I can in the days/weeks leading up to this and it still hits me pretty good, so I can only imagine what it's like for those who were around and effected at the time. But I will always share what I can find when the time comes.

I'm sure there were other threads on this I probably could have dug up, but this one called to me so here we are. I hope that any on this board who were around and impacted by this have found some measure of healing and peace.
          How I feel as well. Excellent post.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Working...
          X