• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Men claim 11th National Title

Mens Bowling. Go Shocks!

In a sweep no less.

Comment

It is the 11th title for the boys while the women's team has won 9 (they finished 3rd this year). Another great year for Shocker bowling!

Comment

KAKE covers the story and moose-knuckle on KWCH drops the ball. Go figure.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Somebody should get ESPN to do a 30 for 30 on Gordon Vadakin.

The coach with 20 national titles who you've never heard of. (And by "you", i mean the nation)
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by KBShocker View Post
            Mens Bowling. Go Shocks!
            Wichita Eagle report.

Also an article earlier in the week about how much tougher it is to win National Titles.

Congratulations to Coach Vadakin and the Shocks. :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

The coach with 20 national titles who you've never heard of. (And by "you", i mean the nation)
              Not to mention numerous runner-up and final four appearances.

Comment

Awesome achievement.

Has WSU ever considered moving the program to the NCAA division? A scholarship issue I assume?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

"What if I told you, he was a legend you never heard of?"

"ESPN presents a 30for30: 'Keeper of the Lanes'*. This Friday at 8 ET."

( * = A play on The Keeper of the Plains)
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Awesome achievement.

Has WSU ever considered moving the program to the NCAA division? A scholarship issue I assume?
                    NCAA is women only and has only been around about 10 or so years. The primary place for men/scholarships is NAIA and maybe the smallest NCAA division. Others here know much more than I. "Back in day" when I bowled for WSU, we were bowling against KU, K St, Ok St, Arkansas and the such.

Note: I believe WSU does have scholarships, but the NCAA must allow WSU to have them at the NAIA level.
                    Last edited by ShockTalk; April 19, 2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Awesome achievement.

IIRC correctly I think it has to do with the ability to win and retain prize money from bowling in tournaments. The NCAA, of course, does not allow that. The USBC does. As far as I know the best teams and players are in the USBC. WSU does give some scholarships I believe.

Comment

The ncaa tournament is women only. It started in 2004. It includes schools from all 3 divisions. There are only 64 total teams that participate in ncaa bowling: 34 from division1, 21 from division 2 and 9 from division 3. Only the top 8 teams go to the ncaa tournament (not much of a tourney) and they are selected by a committee. It was mainly started to help schools with football teams deal with their title 9 issues.

USBC College bowling is much larger, it includes hundreds of schools from all 3 divisions plus naia schools and the USBC conducts both a mens and women championship each year. They also provide prize money at tournaments, something the ncaa doesn't do.

Here is a paragraph from the USBC website describing the USBC college bowling championship: USBC Collegiate oversees and conducts the xbowling Intercollegiate Team and Singles Championships. The country's top 80 men's and top 64 women's collegiate teams compete in regional events for the right to advance to the annual ITC, a nationally-televised tournament. Individual championships are crowned at the annual ISC. USBC Collegiate also works with the National Collegiate Bowling Coaches Association to determine All-Americans and Academic Recognition, Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player honors.

Wikipedia has a good article on the ncaa tournament: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Bowling_Championship
                        Last edited by shox1989; April 20, 2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Congrats to the Shocker men's team for winning their 11th National Championship! The Shocker women have won 9.

The Shocker dominance is huge. The ITC started in 1975. The Shocker women have been there 40 times (only missing once, in 1980 I believe). The Shocker men have been there 33 times.

Comment

Check out this domination. Since 1980, the men have only missed appearing in the tournament 3 times. Since 1975, the women have only missed appearing 1 time. Gordon Vadakin is coaching his 38th season and Mark Lewis his 16th season. The men have won 11 and appeared in 21 finals. The women have won 9 and appeared in 26 finals. Both have appeared in the finals in the same year 13 times. Wow!

Comment

Now on CBS Sports, Cox 2260; Shocks bowling for their national title... sure hope they can win their 11th title. :)
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X