Additional Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Sports

I've always wondered if there was any reason as to why WSU does not participate in sports such as soccer, or wrestling. The valley sponsers Swimming/Diving, Football, and Soccer. Does anyone know exactly why WSU does not play these sports?

Other NCAA activities include

Fencing
    Field Hockey
    Football
    Gymnastics
    Hockey
    Lacrosse
    Skiing
    Soccer
    Swimming
    Water Polo
    Wrestling
    Equestrian?

Re: Additional Sports

Originally posted by shocks02
    Does anyone know exactly why WSU does not play these sports?
    It's called lack of Benjamins.

Comment

Title IX?
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I think in the last fiscal year WSU's athletic department was in the black by about $100,000. Not a lot of cushion there to add any more non-revenue sports.

We need to concentrate on making what we have the best it can be across the board.

Men's Basketball is not having a great year on the court, but fan support is still very good and hopes are high for the future.

Our biggest concern right now is our Women's Basketball program which continues to be mediocre at best on the court and in which fan interest is significantly in decline. A high quality Women's Basketball program is potentially a good source of additional revenue. Unfortunately, we just can't seem to get it going.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Our biggest concern right now is our Women's Basketball program which continues to be mediocre at best on the court and in which fan interest is significantly in decline. A high quality Women's Basketball program is potentially a good source of additional revenue. Unfortunately, we just can't seem to get it going.
          Over their last 3 home games, average paid attendance was around 1400. That surprised me. I thought it would be lower (though I know actual attenadance probably was). I wonder if there's really much room for growth in paid attendance. I'm guessing it could maybe reach 2500 unless a local star were to be playing (the Jackie Stiles factor).

Looking at it optimistically, there's maybe $100k on the table to be had if the program were doing better.

Comment

The NCAA has men's volleyball and there are only about 25-35 teams in the country. WSU could start a team and be in the top 25 in short order. ;-)
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Until SASO (student scholarships) is fully funded, we can't take on more sports in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Over their last 3 home games, average paid attendance was around 1400. That surprised me. I thought it would be lower (though I know actual attenadance probably was). I wonder if there's really much room for growth in paid attendance. I'm guessing it could maybe reach 2500 unless a local star were to be playing (the Jackie Stiles factor).

Looking at it optimistically, there's maybe $100k on the table to be had if the program were doing better.
                Every little bit helps. $100K over 10 years is $1 Million so it eventually adds up.

Unfortunately, the Jackiie Stiles of the world don't grow on trees. Even her sister Roxanne at MSU is only an average MVC player at best.

If the average paid attendance has been 1,400 then the no shows are running around 700-900 per game. If those become non-renewals next year then that could wipe out a chunk of our minimal surplus.

If you look at the VB attendance than your estimate of 2,500 per game is hard to argue with. (And VB has no men's sport to compete with for attendance)

Comment

If we get to a point where we are grabbing that $100k per year, much of that will probably be going to higher coach's salaries, recruiting budget, etc. All good things.

I guess I'm saying that net profit at WSU probably isn't going to change much with a better women's b-ball program. But pride will certainly increase!

Comment

A successful womens team could average 3-5k I think. I think there would still be plenty of support for womens basketball if the product on the floor is good. It's a different game, but still good none the less.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                        huh??????

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          what does this have to do with the topic??

Comment

If this doesn't cover at least one "additional sport" (e.g. canoeing, "iron man" contest), then what does? :lol:
                            Day two brought out the ultra-competitive side in the athletes with a full day of head-to-head competition - after a morning run, of course. Meanwhile, Burns and assistant coaches John Wise and John Hetzendorf plotted out a two-mile race that would take place after a fiercely contested canoe race. Athletes were divided into teams of four and sent out in intervals with no knowledge of the route and only a map through the Canyon Battlefield. Also, in keeping with the “student” portion of student-athlete, Coach Burns gave the team a history lesson of the canyon before they embarked on their quest. The day continued on with softball, volleyball, and basketball.

PS It took you four days to notice? :shock: :D

Comment

Working...
                            X