No announcement yet.

24-25 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little past the midway point of Round 3 the SIU-Edwardsville leads at 1-over par. The Shockers are 1 stroke back at 2-over par. However, the Shocks 1 and 2 guys are wobbling a bit. Jose Ramirez finished the front 9 at 2 over but promptly double-bogeyed #10 to drop back to even par. Michael Winslow parred his first 5 holes before finishing the front nine with a double-bogey and 2 bogeys over the final 4 holes of the front 9. He has the throw away score at this point but you can't afford that from your expected team leader. Fortunately, Mitchell Revie is playing pretty well today at 3-under through 12. We'll find out who wants it more and can play well when the pressure is on as they finish off the back 9.

Quick Update: A birdie by Jose Carletta on the par 5 16th pulls the Shocks even with SIU-E at 1-over. Michael Winslow double-bogeyed #11 to got to 6-over so he is basically out of it. So it is up to dos Joses, Mitchell and Sophomore Ty Adkins.

Quick Update: A Mitchell Revie bogey and and SIU-E birdie put SIU-E back up 2 strokes on the Shockers. But a birdie by Ty Adkins on 16 pulls the Shocks back to within 1 stroke.

Denver hanging around 3-strokes behind the Shocks.

Quick Update: A bogey on the par 4 12th by SIU-E's #1 guy drops SIU-E back into a tie with the Shocks. Each of the Shocks have 3 to 5 holes to play.

Quick Update: Ty Adkins with a 2nd consecutive birdie, this on on the par 3 17th and a 2nd consecutive bogey by SIU-E's #1 player on #13 and an SIU-E bogey on #17puts the Shocks up by 3 strokes. Note that today was a shotgun start so each team as a player that finishes on #1, #2 and #3.

Quick Update: Jose Ramirez double bogeys the par 4 14th but an SIU-E golfer triple bogeyed the hole. Mitchell Revie birdies #16, but Ty Adkins bogeys #18 and Jose Carletta bogeys #1. The Shocks are now tied at 3-over with Denver over Incarnate Word by 1 stroke and SIU-E by 2 strokes and Central Arkansas by 3 strokes. I sense some sphincters tightening up.

Quick Update: The Shocks are now at 2-over but Denver, Incarnate Word and SIU-E are all now within 1 stroke of the Shockers at 3-over. Maybe heading to a playoff.

Quick Update: Incarnate Word gets and Eagle 3 on #16 and has taken the lead at 1-over par. The Shocks are at 2-over and SIU-E is 3-over.

Quick Update: Jose Ramirez with a big birdie 2 on #17 pulls the Shocks even at 1-over. Jose only has 1 hole to play. Michale Winslow has 3 but his score is irrelevant. Incarnate Word has 3 holes to play that could impact the outcome. SIU-E is 2 shots back at 3-over.

Final Update: Jose Ramirez followed up his birdie on #17 with another birdie on the par 3 18th to finish his round and put the Shocks in the clubhouse with the lead at even par. Incarnate Words #1 golfer, who shot a 6-under 66 in round 2, finished with a bogey on 17 and a double bogey on 18 to give the Shocks a 4-stroke win which doesn't come close to depicting how close this was at the end. This truly did come down to a battle of the #1's and Jose R came through for the Shocks but he received very good support from his teammates as well.

Mitchell Revie actually led the Shocks on the day with a 69 (-3), followed by Jose Ramirez with a 71 (-1), Jose Carletta with a 72 (E), and Ty Adkins at 73 (+1) to provide the margin for the Shocks 3rd consecutive win in the Grier Jones Shocker Invitational. Michael Winslow just did not have it today as he shot an 80 (+8).

T11. Jose Ramirez........71-74-71 = 216 (E)
    T11. Mitchell Revie...... 76-71-69 = 216 (E)
    T32. Jose Carletta.........79-70-72 = 221 (+5)
    T32. Ty Adkins...............74-74-73 = 221 (+5)
    T46. Michael Winslow: 72-71-80 = 223 (+7)

Not often you see the tournament champion with non one in the Top 10 on the player leaderboard. Note that Michael Winslow was the only guy on the team 5 that played a lot last year. Ty Adkins only played in 2 fall tournaments where he averaed 79 over 6 rounds including a 244 in this tournament. So he made a 23-stroke improvement from last year to this year. The other 3 guys are juco transfers. I'm sure Michael Winslow is very disappointed with his final round but kudos to his teammates for picking him up.

Stays in Wichita.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Nice little comeback today to get the dub!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Nice little comeback today to get the dub!
        If you had told me Michael Winslow was going to shoot a 3rd round 80 I would not have had this outcome on my bingo card.

Comment

RH: Revie, Ramirez Spark Shockers on Final Day

Mitchell Revie found the adjustment to NCAA Division I golf a bit intimidating and needed help with confidence after not making the lineup for Wichita State's first tournament of the fall.

He turned to books by golf writer Dr. Bob Rotella, who specializes in the mental aspects of the game.

"I needed a restart," Revie said. "My dad says there's a lot of knowledge in books, so I might take something (Rotella's) got to say."

Revie, a junior from Queensland, Australia, qualified for Wichita State's next three tournaments. On Tuesday, he helped the Shockers to their third straight championship in the Grier Jones Shocker Invitational at Sand Creek Station Golf Course (par 72). WSU carded an even-par 864 to finish four shots up on Incarnate Word.​

​Revie finished with an even-par 216 to join teammate Jose Miguel Ramirez as part of a five-way tie for 11th. Revie birdied four of his first seven holes on Tuesday on his way to carding a 69. Ramirez birdied his final two holes to finish at 71 and seal the win for the Shockers.

WSU entered the final round in third place, six shots behind Incarnate Word and two behind SIU-Edwardsville.​

"Resilience," coach Judd Easterling said. "We set the golf course up a lot harder than the first two days. The guys were ready. They grinded until the end. They showed they've been putting in the work."

Ramirez, a senior from Maturin, Venezuela, double-bogeyed two holes on his back nine Tuesday. He recovered to finish strong on his final four holes.

"I made a couple mistakes on the back nine, but I knew my golf was there," he said. "Once I got to that ball on 18, I felt very confident, and I knew I was going to put it away."

Revie played a steadier round with four birdies and one bogey. He credits assistant coach Cole Elmore with talking him through the need to get over bad shots quickly and strike the ball with purpose. Elmore's words are part of Revie's improving mindset as he makes the move up from junior college golf. The books by Rotella taught him that missing a putt isn't disaster and should not ruin his round.

"You get nervous at events, thinking all these guys are better than me," he said. "Cole was following me around all day and helping me make smart decisions. Cole helped me be more committed to my shots, to be more confident in myself that I can hit the shots I'm trying to hit."​

Revie was part of the NJCAA champions at Indian Hills (Iowa) Community College, as was Ramirez in 2023. He took last season off, golfing in Australia, to wait for COVID eligibility athletes move on and open roster spots.

Revie's strong finish is a good sign for Easterling as they conclude their fall tournaments.

"This is a culmination of him having a really good, strong 18 holes," Easterling said. "He kept it together. He's more consistent in being able to finish off rounds."

Before Tuesday's round, Easterling emphasized the importance of winning the home tournament to the Shockers.

"I had each one of them say 'We do not lose at home, we do not lose at home,'" he said. "We drilled it into their mind-set today."​

Comment

Working...
          X