Shocker Alum Wins R&A Senior Amateur Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Alum Wins R&A Senior Amateur Championship

59 year old MIke McCoy, who played collegiately at Wichita State from 1981-85.

Battling four days of high winds off the Dornoch Firth which at times rendered one of Scotland's finest courses unplayable, McCoy was crowned winners of the Royal & Ancient Senior Amateur Championship at Royal Dornoch Golf Club.

McCoy began the final round with a nine-shot lead, the only player in red figures on five-under-par. He extended his lead to 12 shots after just four holes and was never in any danger of being overtaken. He had the luxury of an eight-over 78 in strong cross winds to post a three-over 283 total and win by seven shots over fellow American Lee Porter.

“Up until the end I played some of the best golf of my life in this wind,” said McCoy. “My round yesterday (one-under 69) was one of the best of my life.

Current Shocker assistant golf coach Josh Gliege has qualified for the 122nd U.S. Amateur Championship.

Pullman, Wash. – Craig Ronne of Eugene, Ore. shot rounds of 66-65 to earn medalist honors over the 70-player field who competed today in 36-hole U.S. Amateur qualifying at Palouse Ridge Golf Club in Pullman, Wash.

Josh shot 67-65 = 132 to finish in a tie for 2nd then won a playoff to secure the 2nd of 2 qualifying spots. Hope some of that rubs off on this coming year's team.

Gliege will now advance to the 122nd U.S. Amateur Championship, which will be held August 15-21 at The Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, N.J., with Arcola Country Club in Paramus, N.J. serving as the championship’s stroke-play co-host.

Good luck to Josh!

Comment

Working...
    X