Bahner Named MVC Field Athlete of Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bahner Named MVC Field Athlete of Week

Austin Bahner had a terrific decathlon last Thursday and Friday in San Antonio.

WICHITA, Kan. ? Wichita State track & field student-athlete Austin Bahner received Missouri Valley Conference Men's Field Athlete of the Week recognition, the conference announced Tuesday.

Bahner, just a sophomore, scored 7,188 points. His point total ranks second in the nation this season. The total also marked a personal best for Bahner and ranks fourth all-time at Wichita State.

Bahner posted personal-best performances in the decathlon 400 meters (48.94), 110-meter hurdles (16.19), pole vault (14-9) and discus (134-3).

Sounds like this young man has a bright future and some great upside.

:encouragement:

I am really looking forward to the Outdoors being hosted by WSU this spring, especially the multis. Coach Rainbolt and his staff continue to develop some of the best "athon" athletes in the country, and being able to see them compete in person is a unique treat.

Congrats Austin!

Comment

I'm not sure Coach Rainbolt really gets the acknowledgement he is due for the job he has done with the Shocker T&F/CC programs.

I like the fact that the roster is full of Wichita area and Kansas kids. Austin Bahner and Audacia Moore are both out of Wichita Heights and both are outstanding examples. This may be somewhat out of necessity as it is my understanding that the amount of athletic scholarships available to T&F athletes is pretty limited, especially considering the number of athletes on the roster.

Coach Rainbolt's strategy of recruiting and successfully developing depth in the multi-events has worked well. The Shocks generally rack up big points in the multi-events especially in the MVC Championships.

Coach Rainbolt has also had pretty good success at finding and polishing his share of diamonds in the rough. Desiraye Osburn out of Lyndon, Kansas (Pop 1,052) who was recently inducted into the Shocker HOF and Chris Dickman out of Grinnell, Kansas (Pop 259) and probably a future Shocker HOF member come to mind.

Not sure what the average athletic scholarship the T&F athletes receive but my guess it is pretty modest. Of course, many of them are excellent students and no doubt receive some academic scholarship aid as well. In any case, it seems to me these are truly student-athletes who work hard both on the field and in the classroom.

Doc mentioned the MVC Outdoor Track & Field Championships are being hosted by the Shocks his year. It would be great to have good showing of Shocker fans to support this higly-deserving group of student-athletes and coaches.

Here is a list of opportunities to catch the Shocker T&F team in action at home this outdoor season (and perhaps to check out some future Shockers):

April 11-12: K.T. Woodman Classic Decathlon/Heptathlon (University/College)
      April 12: Shocker Pentathlon Challenge (High School)
      April 12-13: Shocker Pre-State Challenge (High School)
      April 13-14: K.T. Woodman Classic (University/College)April 27-28: Track-It Buster Invitational

April 27-28: Track-It Buster Invitational

May 11-13: State Farm MVC Outdoor Championships

Additional meet information is and will be available at www.goshockers.com

Comment

Greats posts! And don't forget you can get a season pass for only $15! Cessna Stadium will be buzzing this spring with some great track and field competition! Go Shocks!

Comment

What say you @goshox74:? What kind of upside does Austin Bahner have?

Comment

He's got tremendous upside. Not sure how many people realize it but he was on the state championship basketball team at Wichita Heights when Perry Ellis was a freshman and had a significant part in that first championship team. Bahner is a very steady performer who has won a MVC long jump title (as a freshman indoor) and ran on the MVC title winning 4x400m relay last spring. His only thing is staying healthy - if he can do that he can become one of the top Decathletes in the NCAA by the time he is a senior.

Comment

Working...
            X