No announcement yet.

AD for a day? Here’s what I would do….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD for a day? Here’s what I would do….

If I were AD for a couple of days, I would do the following:
    all at the same time:

Announce the plans to build a new multipurpose stadium with money from fundraising sources and naming rights invitations. I may even start with NIAR as in the black as they are. Covered stands, some premium sky boxes and a couple of party patios.

Drop Mens and Womens Tennis and Golf and add Men and Womens Soccer starting in the Fall of 23 or 24, depending on the fundraising.

Reasoning:

Soccer has a chance of actually bringing in revenue and equipment wise is pretty cheap. Tennis and Golf only eat expenses. On the surface it may seem like more scholarships used but they can be divided up however they want.

There are no other D-1 mens teams in the state so I think we could get pretty good pretty fast. NIL licenses

There is some money in this town held by individuals who are soccer fans. It also transcends with the international population of Wichita better than any other sport.

It would create some excitement in the community with a sport that could have staying power and give fall entertainment options.

It would also give T and F a nice recruiting plus and opportunities for the campus to host more meets as well as other events.

I am not a hardline soccer fan and couldn’t tell you one player from FC Barcelona, Manchester United or Sporting KC. This is a bet, a business decision, based on getting in on the ground floor of a paradigm switch. College basketball the way we came to know it is gone and like Elvis, it ain’t coming back. Might as well try to carve out a new identity in our athletic program with something teams with football don’t dare try right now.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    If I were AD for a couple of days, I would ...

Drop Mens and Womens Tennis and Golf and add Men and Womens Soccer starting in the Fall of 23 or 24, depending on the fundraising.
    The combined scholarship limits for tennis and golf for both the men and the women is 23 scholarships (15 that can be divided up and 8 head count scholarships for women's tennis). The scholarship limits for soccer are 9.9 for the men and 14 for the women (neither of which are head count sports) for a total of 23.9 so not that much difference.

However, the sand in the gears of your proposal is the D-1 membership requires sponsorship of 7 men's sports and 7 women's sports or, alternatively 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports. In either case at least 2 sports for each gender must be a team sport. Soccer would be a team sport.

Currently WSU sponsors 7 Men's sports (Basketball, Baseball, XC, Indoor T&F, Outdoor T&F, Golf and Tennis) and 8 Women's Sports (Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, XC, Indoor T&F, Outdoor T&F, Golf and Tennis). Team sports are in bold letters.

Your plan would drop 2 sports for each gender and add 1 sport for each gender putting WSU's sponsorship at 6 men's sports and 7 women's sports. We would be one sport shy of meeting the D-1 membership requirements.

There are perhaps a couple of ways to deal with this. One would be to add another women's sport. My choice would be to add a Breach/Sand Volleyball program (6 scholarship limit) in the spring. Another possible option would be to move the women's bowling (and it's 5 scholarship limit) into the NCAA arena. I don't know if you would want to bring the men's bowling as well but currently the NCAA does not allow any scholarships for men's bowling. I doubt this would be real popular with the bowling program and you kind of hate to mess with success.

If I were AD for a couple of days I would drop women's golf and add women's beach/sand volleyball. Not sure what kind of revenues beach/sand volleyball could generate but probably more than women's golf which is nothing. Both sports are equivalency sports and both have identical scholarship limits of 6. Plus I think adding beach/sand volleyball could help strengthen the fall indoor/traditional volleyball program. I would seek input from Lambo about this before pulling the trigger. At this point we are still at 7 men's sports and 8 women sports.

You could also the add men's and women's soccer and drop men's golf and tennis and women's tennis. Whether you would do that all at once or phase that in would need to be thought out. If this was indeed fully implemented WSU would end up with 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports meeting the minimum requirements for NCAA D-I membership.

Perhaps you might want to start by adding women's soccer in place of women's tennis and see how that goes.

At some point in the future perhaps moving the bowling programs over to the NCAA would be more attractive than it apparently is at this point.

Of course, job number 1 is to fix men's basketball and that could be a much tougher nut to crack.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The combined scholarship limits for tennis and golf for both the men and the women is 23 scholarships (15 that can be divided up and 8 head count scholarships for women's tennis). The scholarship limits for soccer are 9.9 for the men and 14 for the women (neither of which are head count sports) for a total of 23.9 so not that much difference.

However, the sand in the gears of your proposal is the D-1 membership requires sponsorship of 7 men's sports and 7 women's sports or, alternatively 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports. In either case at least 2 sports for each gender must be a team sport. Soccer would be a team sport.

Currently WSU sponsors 7 Men's sports (Basketball, Baseball, XC, Indoor T&F, Outdoor T&F, Golf and Tennis) and 8 Women's Sports (Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, XC, Indoor T&F, Outdoor T&F, Golf and Tennis). Team sports are in bold letters.

Your plan would drop 2 sports for each gender and add 1 sport for each gender putting WSU's sponsorship at 6 men's sports and 7 women's sports. We would be one sport shy of meeting the D-1 membership requirements.

There are perhaps a couple of ways to deal with this. One would be to add another women's sport. My choice would be to add a Breach/Sand Volleyball program (6 scholarship limit) in the spring. Another possible option would be to move the women's bowling (and it's 5 scholarship limit) into the NCAA arena. I don't know if you would want to bring the men's bowling as well but currently the NCAA does not allow any scholarships for men's bowling. I doubt this would be real popular with the bowling program and you kind of hate to mess with success.

If I were AD for a couple of days I would drop women's golf and add women's beach/sand volleyball. Not sure what kind of revenues beach/sand volleyball could generate but probably more than women's golf which is nothing. Both sports are equivalency sports and both have identical scholarship limits of 6. Plus I think adding beach/sand volleyball could help strengthen the fall indoor/traditional volleyball program. I would seek input from Lambo about this before pulling the trigger. At this point we are still at 7 men's sports and 8 women sports.

You could also the add men's and women's soccer and drop men's golf and tennis and women's tennis. Whether you would do that all at once or phase that in would need to be thought out. if this was indeed implemented WSU would end up with 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports meeting the minimum requirements for NCAA D-I membership.

Perhaps you might want to start by adding women's soccer in place of women's tennis and see how that goes.

At some point in the future perhaps moving the bowling programs over to the NCAA would be more attractive than it apparently is at this point.
      I knew you would have a well thought out add to this thread. Womens Crew can also be an NCAA sport, which could work as well, but not sure of the details.

Comment

I knew you would have a well thought out add to this thread. Womens Crew can also be an NCAA sport, which could work as well, but not sure of the details.
        I think that falls under what the NCAA calls Rowing. Interestingly, rowing, which is an equivalency sport, has the highest scholarship limit (20) of any NCAA sponsored women's sport. That said you don't necessarily need to use all those scholarships. Not sure what the specific requirements are in terms of what it takes to field a rowing squad and qualify for competition in that specific sport.

Women's rowing is a sport that the AAC does sponsor and it is a spring sport. In fact, all 10 of the other AAC full member schools sponsor women's rowing and in addition Navy's rowing team competes in the AAC.

But I think for Wichita State adding fall sports like soccer makes more sense. Of the current membership only WSU and Tulane do not sponsor women's soccer.

Currently only 6 AAC schools sponsor men's soccer (thanks to Title IX no doubt). Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, SMU, USF and Temple.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 16, 2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

If I were AD for a couple of days, I would do the following:
          all at the same time:

Announce the plans to build a new multipurpose stadium with money from fundraising sources and naming rights invitations. I may even start with NIAR as in the black as they are. Covered stands, some premium sky boxes and a couple of party patios.

Reasoning:

Soccer has a chance of actually bringing in revenue and equipment wise is pretty cheap. Tennis and Golf only eat expenses. On the surface it may seem like more scholarships used but they can be divided up however they want.

There are no other D-1 mens teams in the state so I think we could get pretty good pretty fast. NIL licenses

There is some money in this town held by individuals who are soccer fans. It also transcends with the international population of Wichita better than any other sport.

It would create some excitement in the community with a sport that could have staying power and give fall entertainment options.

It would also give T and F a nice recruiting plus and opportunities for the campus to host more meets as well as other events.

I am not a hardline soccer fan and couldn’t tell you one player from FC Barcelona, Manchester United or Sporting KC. This is a bet, a business decision, based on getting in on the ground floor of a paradigm switch. College basketball the way we came to know it is gone and like Elvis, it ain’t coming back. Might as well try to carve out a new identity in our athletic program with something teams with football don’t dare try right now.
          According to the title of this thread, isn't the correct answer:

I would fire myself? :)

Comment

Assuming I could go out and raise $$$:

- Tear down Cessna and build a dedicated T&F facility. (Hayward Filed of the Midwest)
            - Build a small 5,000 seat area for WBB and VB. (house other events too)
            - Plan a total overhaul or rebuild of CKA. (The Dean Smith Center, but for 3Gs)
            - Look to bring in small budget sports like soccer, wrestling, gymnastics, lacrosse. (maybe men's VB)
            - Build new stadium for soccer & lacrosse. (access for other events as well)

Once I do all that, and I become king of both WSU and the city of Wichita, I bring back football with a football stadium. (I'll deal with Title IX later)
            Last edited by Shock Top; April 17, 2022, 07:07 PM.
            The Assman

Comment

Women's crew/rowing could absolutely be added, it's a club sport already, and wouldn't require much in the way of new or upgraded facilities to get rolling.

I've always wanted to bring in football and always looked at Soccer, crew and gymnastics as low cost options to offset football scholarships. Even without football, they'd all be doable and soccer could potentially be a sport that could mostly fund itself. It is a sport with a growing fan base and some decent local talent. Soccer could also use Stryker I think early on while fundraising takes place to build a dedicated facility.

A dedicated 5-6k facility for VB and WBB would be great and help with the atmosphere for both. VB has had some good ones but a packed 5k arena would be even better than a half full CKA.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

A dedicated 5-6k facility for VB and WBB would be great and help with the atmosphere for both. VB has had some good ones but a packed 5k arena would be even better than a half full CKA.
                Something like a mini Hinkle Fieldhouse or Cameron Indoor Stadium would be cool. You could put all the offices, locker rooms, and training facilities under the stands that way.

A kid can dream.
                The Assman

Comment

1. Empty out my desk
                  2. Give the keys to someone else
                  3. Issue an apology for being incompetent
                  4. Leave town on the first Greyhound Bus
                  5. Go back to Kentucky and make moonshine

Comment

Hang banners for Fred and Ron with their retired jerseys. Replace IB with GH or CJ. Hire FHCGM as Senior AD in charge of fund raising, he can keep 20% of whatever money he raises. If GM isn’t available hire Ron Baker. While I am on a roll replace Russel in the ticket office, with someone who can actually sell and promote. Replace Women’s head basketball coach with the head coach at South Dakota. See if Chase Koch wants his name on the new 5,000 seat volleyball stadium.

Comment

We certainly can't afford to fire anybody at this point, maybe we can "reassign" Derwood to a special project somewhere else in the university. Just don't make him teaching faculty for sports management.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Assuming I could go out and raise $$$:

- Tear down Cessna and build a dedicated T&F facility. (Hayward Filed of the Midwest)
                        - Build a small 5,000 seat area for WBB and VB. (house other events too)
                        - Plan a total overhaul or rebuild of CKA. (The Dean Smith Center, but for 3Gs)
                        - Look to bring in small budget sports like soccer, wrestling, gymnastics, lacrosse. (maybe men's VB)
                        - Build new stadium for soccer & lacrosse. (access for other events as well)

Once I do all that, and I become king of both WSU and the city of Wichita, I bring back football with a football stadium. (I'll deal with Title IX later)
                        Not too bad, with the exception of football. The only sport that will bring in revenue immediately would be soccer, although wrestling would fill a void in the state as well. I don't think NIL deals would be a problem with soccer here either. Just a hunch.

Comment

Not too bad, with the exception of football. The only sport that will bring in revenue immediately would be soccer, although wrestling would fill a void in the state as well. I don't think NIL deals would be a problem with soccer here either. Just a hunch.
                          Football was more tongue-in-cheek; though in a dream world it would be great.

I think all the others could/would be realistic.

The track faculty could hold other events/meets (just no more football). Already holds the great state track meet and you think you could grow KT Woodman to be a much bigger event with a shiny new track facility.

The soccer/lacrosse stadium could also host state/regional events. Host camps and such to help grow the sports in the region.

The WBB/VB faculty would be great to help grow and support those sports in the area and region. Host camps and tournaments.

I don’t know if the Heskett center would have room to add for gymnastics and wrestling, but maybe you could build another facility (gasp) for those. Maybe update the Heskett to be able to have swim teams and the indoor track facility to be top class.

You have space on the innovation campus still, or where Fairmount Towers used to be, or where the throwing out currently is (since the throwing events will now be housed in the new track facility).

WSU could be a regional host for these great smaller sports who are still more like true student athletes.
                          The Assman

Comment

Men's Soccer Standings for 21
                            Tulsa * 8-1-1 .850 25 16-2-1 .868 11-1 5-1-1 0-0 L1
                            UCF 6-4 .600 18 9-8 .529 4-4 4-3 1-1 L1
                            Memphis 5-4-1 .550 16 6-9-2 .412 2-2-1 4-6 0-1-1 L1
                            SMU 5-4-1 .550 16 8-5-3 .594 5-2-3 3-3 0-0 L2
                            South Florida 4-5-1 .450 13 6-7-2 .467 4-4 2-3-2 0-0 W1
                            Temple 0-10 .000 0 2-12-2 .188 2-6 0-6-2 0-0 L7

Comment

Womens Standings for 21
                              South Florida 19 6-1-1 .812 12-4-3 .711 6-4-3 6-0 0-0 L1
                              Houston 16 5-2-1 .688 13-5-2 .700 9-1-1 4-3-1 0-1 L1
                              Memphis 15 5-3 .625 14-5-2 .714 10-1-1 3-4-1 1-0 L1
                              SMU 14 4-2-2 .625 12-5-2 .684 8-1-1 4-4-1 0-0 L1
                              East Carolina 11 3-3-2 .500 8-9-2 .474 6-3 2-6-2 0-0 L1
                              UCF 10 3-4-1 .438 8-7-1 .531 5-3 3-4-1 0-0 L2
                              Cincinnati 8 2-4-2 .375 7-7-3 .500 5-1-3 2-6 0-0 W1
                              Temple 6 2-6 .250 5-8-3 .406 3-2-3 2-6 0-0 L3
                              Tulsa 4 1-6-1 .188 6-9-2 .412 3-5-2 3-4 0-0 L2

Comment

Working...
                              X