No announcement yet.

New Sports at WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems Wichita has struggled to support one minor league hockey team for years...not sure how two hockey teams would work out. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be to begin hockey vs. soccer but it seems like hockey would be more expensive (due to facilites and equipment?) and most likely games wouldn't be on campus.
    "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
    -- Pele

Comment

I’ll say it now – I would trade the Thunder for WSU Hockey in a NY minute. I don’t believe the two can survive and in my humble but somewhat educated opinion D1 college hockey is a much better product than minor league goon hockey. They are two totally different products, which I did not realize until I was a student at Hockey U. (BU). The college game is much more technical and finesse. Basically there is little to no fighting but the puck-work, skating and passing is much better. It’s just a total team effort (much like WSU basketball) with more strategy involved. Plus the talent with high-major college teams is on another level, one that we’ll never see in the CHL.

BU has a memorial outside its hockey arena for the BU players that were part of the 1980 Olympic team (including captains Mike Eruzione and goalie Jim Craig). Also, the atmosphere is really cool at college hockey games, with the bands and student cheers and jeers it’s pretty awesome. Outside of the Red Sox, the annual Beanpot tournament featuring BU, BC, Harvard and Northeastern remains the toughest ticket in town. They pack the Fleet Center to the brim and it’s a big deal for any of those teams to win it. When I was going to school at BU I was constantly hit up for Beanpot tickets for those wanting to score a ticket. I guess I would describe the event as achieving cult-like status in Boston.

Comment

Working...
      X