No announcement yet.

2021-22 Shocker Men's Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny is a super guy and I do not fault him at all. He goes from having basically nothing (and things were withheld from him here) to having basically everything, albeit with new expectations.

Very happy for Danny and his wonderful family. They will be missed.

I'm sure we'll lose our most talented recruit as well.

Comment

WSU - Minarik Named ITA Central Region Rookie of the Year

WICHITA –The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) tabbed Kristof Minarik as the Central Region Rookie of the Year after a successful freshman season, making him the first Shocker to earn this honor.

After signing with the Shockers in November 2021, Minarik joined the program for the spring semester and immediately made an impact, starting the year 8-0 in singles.

"Kristof did a great job of coming in January and acclimating himself really well to the team," interim head coach Brett Forman said. "The guys look up to him, and he did such a phenomenal job of working hard in practice and just being a great competitor."
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Stefan latinovic transferring to LSU as a grad transfer

Comment

Go Shockers - Glavin to Lead Shocker Men's Tennis Program

Wichita State has tabbed a rising star from one of the nation's most-successful programs as its new head men's tennis coach.

Darragh Glavin (first name pronounced "DARE-uh") comes to Wichita after two seasons as assistant coach at the University of Miami where he helped the Hurricane to consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

"Darragh is a high-energy guy with a magnetic personality and a wealth of knowledge," Senior Associate Athletic Director, Brad Pittman said. "He's an up-and-comer in the tennis coaching world and we're thrilled to be welcoming him and his family to Wichita."

Originally from Ireland, Glavin was a four-year standout at Old Dominion (2012-16) before breaking into the coaching ranks as a volunteer assistant at Princeton (2017-19) and full-time assistant at Delaware (2019-20).

Glavin, 29, replaces Danny Bryan, who accepted a similar position at LSU last month.
          Sounds like a promising young coach who is on the rise.

And who doesn't respond well to an Irish accent?
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And who doesn't respond well to an Irish accent?
            Aye! I could use a little frostbite...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Agreed. Pretty quick work on finding a replacement for Danny Bryan whose departure was announced on May 31st. I wonder who had the lead on this. Perhaps Senior Associate AD Brad Pittman since he was quoted in the news release.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Agreed. Pretty quick work on finding a replacement for Danny Bryan whose departure was announced on May 31st. I wonder who had the lead on this. Perhaps Senior Associate AD Brad Pittman since he was quoted in the news release.
                I gotta think the new AD was in the loop with the hire. Looks like a solid replacement.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Tennis Teams Load Up on ITA Academic Honors

The Wichita State men's and women's tennis programs both earned Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-Academic Team status Monday and combined to place 10 players on the ITA Scholar-Athlete list.

The Wichita State men's and women's tennis programs both earned Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-Academic Team status Monday and combined to place 10 players on the ITA Scholar-Athlete list.

In order to be recognized, teams must have posted a 3.20+ grade point average during the 2021-22 school year, and individuals must perform at 3.50-or-better.

The men's tennis team finished at 3.58 to make the All-Academic list for the sixth year in a row. Six individuals earned plaudits: Zach Grueber, Stefan Latinovic, Ray Lo, Kristof Minarik, Orel Ovil and Jaydn Richardson.

Comment

Have no idea where to put this, but here works. Well worth the couple of minutes to watch. Very cool.

Comment

Go Shockers - Barnard Named Assistant Men's Tennis Coach

WICHITA – Head coach Darragh Glavin and the Wichita State men's tennis program announced the addition of Connor Barnard to the coaching staff.

"I'm very excited to have Connor join our program," Glavin said. "From our first conversation, I could tell he's passionate about coaching college tennis and developing our student athletes on and off the court."

Barnard joins the Shockers after serving as the volunteer assistant coach at UTSA during the 2021-22 season. He previously coached at Cedar Falls High School and brings two years of certified personal training experience.

"I'm really excited to be joining the WSU community," Barnard said. "Wichita State men's tennis has been a very successful program over the last number of years, and I am thrilled to help continue their success. Darragh has amazing experience, and I am ready to work with him to build something very special here."
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Had a chance to meet Darragh at the VB event. Seems like a super guy, even better accent.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                          Have no idea where to put this, but here works. Well worth the couple of minutes to watch. Very cool.

Not sure there's ever been a person that is as successful as Roger who has carried himself so well his entire career. You'd be hard pressed to find something negative about him.

Also, his foundation has helped to educate almost 2 million children in some of the poorest countries in the world.

Roger and Tiger have done more for kids than perhaps any 2 athletes ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X