Coach Herm Wilson Passes Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Herm Wilson Passes Away

Hem Wilson, who coached Wichita State's cross country and track and field teams from 1967-83. Wilson, a Navy veteran, died on Wednesday at 92. May he rest in peace.

Wilson was inducted into the Pizza Hut Shocker Sports Hall of Fame in 1996. Olympic long jumper Preston Carrington, All-American pole vaulter Fred Burton and All-American distance runners Randy Smith, Walker and Collier are Wilson-era athletes also in the Hall of Fame.

Really nice story on Herm by Pual Suellentrop: https://goshockers.com/news/2019/11/...try-teams.aspx

RIP big Herm. A good man and a great shocker.

Comment

Shocker Legend no doubt !!!
      I remember going to one of his bigger meets - very impressive with the competitors from all around the country
      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
      - said no one ever...

Comment

Ran with a couple of his grandsons in high school (ok, I was on the same team. with them is only a slight exaggeration...). Fantastic family. You haven't trained until you've been bunjee'd to the back of Herm's car.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
          Shocker Legend no doubt !!!
          I remember going to one of his bigger meets - very impressive with the competitors from all around the country
          As do I. Those were some high quality meets. I do remember watching Earl Bell set the set the world record in the pole vault in 1976.

I don't hate all KU athletes. I always really liked Gale Sayers and Nolan Cromwell. I can't remember what year, perhaps also 1976, Nolan ran the 400m hurdles in one of these races. Physically he just looked out of place with his football physique compared to the other competitors but IIRC he won that race impressively. I guess I wasn't totally surprised that he became an All-Pro NFL safety.

Comment

Working...
          X