No announcement yet.

2019-20 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As discussed above I am not expecting the Shocker Men to be a factor in this year's AAC Championships. Nothing that happened today changes that outlook.

The Shockers have no one advancing to the finals in the 60m and 200m dashes.

Jr. Adam Guazy and Sr. Austin Corley qualified for the final 8 in the 400m dash.

Jr. Mel Obadiah qualified for the final 8 in the 800m run.

So. Jed Helker and Jr. Cory Landon qualified for the 12-man finla in the mile run. A bit disappointing that Jr. Adam Moore did not qualify for the finals.

The Shocks did not place in the top 8 in the 5K run. So. Clayton Duchatsheck finished just outside the scoring in 9th place.

Shocker So. duo of Joseph Holthuzen and Antonio Norman both qualified for the final 8 in the 60m hurdles. Joseph ran a 7.88 and Antonio a 8.05 in qualifying.

Adam Moore made up a bit for his disappointment in not making the mile finals by combining with Jed Helker, Sr. Jace Coppoc, and Fr. Josh Cable win the Distance Medley Relay to score the 10 points for the Shocks. Perhaps the highlight of day 1 for the Shocker men.

The Shocks failed to crack the Top 10 in the pole vault.

Jr. Ethan Toy picked up 2 points with a 7th place finish in the long jump and Jr. Michael Bryan also picked up 2 points with a 7th place finish in the Weight Throw.

The Shocks are sitting 5th (Fr. Connor Ludolph), 7th (Jr. Grant Downs) and 8th (Sr. Colin Reichenberger) after 4 events in the heptathlon. Not their typical showing in this event. Would be interested in knowing what is going on with So. Jake Horsch this year.

Scoring after day 1 doesn't mean much with only 5 events scored but Houston is out to a big lead.

Comment

More on the Shocker men's win in the Distance Medley Relay at the AAC Indoor. For those who are not familiar with the DMR it consists of a 1,200m leg, a 400m leg, and 800m leg and a 1600 meter leg. For the Shockers Jed Helker ran the 1200, Jace Coppoc ran the 400 meter leg, Josh Cable ran the 800m leg and Adam Moore ran the 1600m leg.

When Adam Moore got the baton for the Mile anchor leg, the Shockers were trailing Tulsa by a significant margin. Moore slowly ate away at the lead until taking over first place with a couple of laps remaining in the race. Moore then earned a lead of his own, clinching a time of 10:01.42 and a 4-second victory over the Golden Hurricane.

Jed Helker, Josh Cable, Jace Coppoc and Moore earned all-conference honors as they became conference champions.

"For Adam Moore to take the baton and chase down that Tulsa athlete was a real high point," Rainbolt said.

Adam had to be disappointed after failing to qualify for the mile finals. This was an impressive response by him and I'm very happy for him.

Happy for all 4 guys actually. May be the happiest for RFr. Josh Cable. You will notice the burn scars on Josh's left shoulder in the photo below. For those who don't know Josh's story I followed it pretty closely at the time. Here is a link to one of my posts about Josh.

Last edited by Kung Wu; February 28, 2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

In the Men's Heptathlon Shocker Freshman Chonnor Ludolph, out of Leroy, Kansas (hometown of Shocker javelin All-American Aaron True) finished 5th with 4,998 points which seems pretty solid in his first AAC Championship. Jr. Grant Downs finished 7th and Sr. Colin Reichenberger finished 8th for combined total of 7 points. If Jake Horst can recover from whatever is ailing him he and Connor could make a pretty solid duo in the multis. However, I have no idea what is going on with Jake.

So. Jed Helker picked up 2 points with a 7th place finish in the mile with a time of 4:13.44

Jr. Adam Gauzy finished 4th in the 400m dash with a time of 47.52 while his senior teamate Austin Corley finished 8th giving the Shocks 6 points in this event.

The Shocker dynamic sophomore hurdling duo of Joseph Holthusen and Antonio Norman finished 2nd and 4th in the men's 60m hurdles running 7.84 and 7.92, respectively, to pick up 13 points for the Shocker men in what may prove to be the highlight of the meet for the Shocker men. Anytime you do well in a speed event in the AAC you have done some work. That's a new PR and the 2nd best time in Shocker history for Holthusen. Norman's time is 4th best in Shocker history.

Jr. Mel Obadiah finished 6th in the men's 800m run to add 3 points to the kitty for the Shocker men.

Jr. Weston Lewis set a PR in the high jump of 6-11.5 on his way to a 3rd place finish and 6 points

The Shocks finish 4th in the 4x400 relay to close out the meet with 5 more points.

I was anticipating the Shocks would score in the mid-50's. The ended up with 59. The great results in the 60m hurdles gave the a little boost. The Shocks finish in 5th place overall 20 points behind 4th place Tulsa. So Tulsa wins the Havoc in the Heartland points.

Houston is the men's champion scoring 179 points and finishing 50 points clear of 2nd place UConn.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 29, 2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

OK '72' I'll ask this question for both the men's and women's track teams. How are you projecting both teams to do in the out door conference meets, I know Houston will have sprinters and shorter distance and relays while the Shocks have done well in longer distances, throwing events and the multi discipline events.

Comment

nm
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 26, 2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Michael Bryan Locks In No. 8 Seed for NCAA Indoor Championships

Moved to 21-22 T&F Thread
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Michael Bryan Named AAC Field Performer of the Year

Moved to 21-2 T&F Thread
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X