Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grier Jones to Retire at the End of the 2019 Spring Season

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/2/6...19-season.aspx

Best wishes to Coach Grier Jones, a local Wichta boy, who has built quite a legacy as high school, college and professional golfer, as a 24 year head coach at Wichita State and as a family man.

My expectation is that associate head coach and former Shocker golfer, Judd Easterling, will take over has head man going forward although that is not official at this point.

Thank you Coach Jones:

Comment

I was fortunate to work with him. I was the head instructor for Hook-A-Kid On Golf for several years here in the Wichita area. I called Grier out of the blue one day to ask if he would be a guest instructor for one day during the week -long event. He agreed and I called on him to be a guest instructor for many years and he always was their for me and my 40 golfers. I will always be thankful for what he did for me and hundreds of golfers in the Wichita area.

Comment

I don't know how many people realize that the reason Grier quit playing PGA Tour golf was becuase his family was more important to him then his golf career.

https://newsok.com/article/2226796/j...-par-with-home

Pro golfer Grier Jones didn't need to hear any fat lady sing to know it was over. He didn't know any fat ladies, but he knew his PGA Tour days were over when he could hear his five kids calling.

"My kids were getting old enough where I needed to be home full-time, and I just found myself too many times coming down fairways thinking about what was going on at home rather than how I was playing," Jones said. "So I decided if I wasn't completely dedicated to it and devoted to it that I couldn't compete."
        I have always admired him for that.

Comment

JONES CAN'T FORGET THE DAY HE FELL VICTIM TO GRIP OF THE BEAR

Grier Jones is content, a man at peace with himself. The former professional golfer is out of work at the moment, but that’s OK. His 12 years on the PGA Tour were good to him. He has money in…

Comment

As expected Shocker Associate Head Coach and former Shocker player of note Judd Easterling has been officially named to succeed Grier Jones as WSU's head men's golf coach. Pretty much a slam dunk promotion IMO. Coach Easterling will have big challenge on his hands to become competitive in the AAC and I wish him well in making that happen.

Easterling to Succeed Jones as Head Coach

RH: Podcast with men's golf coach Judd Easterling

Link to Podcast: https://wichitastate.tv/podcast/roun.../?preview=true

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Some nice comments from area coaches.

Interesting assistant hire by Coach Easterling. Welcome to Shocker nation Coach Walton.

New assistant Matt Walton has served the past two years as lead coach at Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy in Orlando.

Comment

Very good to hear about Grier Jones...sounds like he has mellowed out somewhat since back in the day when I knew him. He was also an outstanding running back at Kapaun HS in the early to mid 60's....achieved it due to his determination, discipline, and smarts.
              Last edited by N Crestway; July 2, 2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Almost every round of golf I played with my Dad when I was growing up, he would say "just give it the old Grier Jones foot wedge." This was any time I needed to kick it away from a tree, onto a clump of grass, etc.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure it wasn't "just give it the old Judge Smails foot wedge"... :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/jvTLAmne4SgxO/giphy.gif

• NCAABound
                  NCAABound commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And I vaguely recall him telling me Grier did this. Did he ever get DQ'd for something like this? Maybe it was a personal experience since he was about the same age and probably played with or against him.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Earned!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                  X