2018-19 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking Ben Johnson's Decathlon - Day 2:

100m hurdles is up first. Usually a decent event for Ben. His PR in this evetn is 14.36. Ben clocks in at 14.78. Clearly not his best effort but not terrible. He finished 7th and picked up 876 points. Overall that puts him in 10th place with 4,807 points. Ben is 27 points out of a coveted top 8 position. He may have missed an opportunity here to move in to the top 8. Still much more work to do.

The discus in next. This is not a real strong event from Ben although I don't think that is uncommon among decathletes. His PR is 137-7. But during the regular season he failed to mark in a decathlon discus competition as he fouled on all 3 of his attempts. Hopefully, he can pull out a good one today. Looks like there are 2 flights with Ben in Flight 1 which indicates he isn't seeded very high in this event. Hopefully, he can stay within shouting distance of that top 8 finish. On his firsty attempt Ben gets a clean throw of 130-2. That eliminates the risk of a no mark and Ben can be more aggressive on his remaining 2 throws. That 1st throw is Ben's best mark. He finished 4th in Flight 1. That throw is worth 658 points giving him a total of 5,465. We'll have to wait for Fligtht 2 to be completed to know where Ben sits overall. Currently there is a weather delay. Looks like an isolated T-storm is moving through Austin.

Looks like they are about ready to restart. They will start Flight 1 of the pole vault, which includes Ben while they finish Flight 2 of the discus. Ben's PR in the pole vault is 15-5 although he only managed 14-11 in the AAC Championships. I think Ben needs a strong effort in the pole vault to have any chance at a Top 8 finish.

False start. Now in another weather delay.

Ben can only manage to clear 14-5.5 in the pole vualt for 734 points. I think that will probably doom any chance at a top 8 finish. Hopefully, he can hold on for a top 16 finish and 2nd team All-American honors.

Been had a poor performance in the javelin with a chuck of 132-6. By far the poorest throw of the 15 athletes still competing. 9 athletes are out of the competition for one reason or another. So while Ben will fall short of his goal of a top 8 finish the worst he can do if he can finish the 1500m race. That would give him 2nd team All-American honors.

Ben runs a new PR of 4:39.76 in the 1500m. Kudos to him for giving his all in the final event of his college career. Ben ended up with 7,329 points good for a 14th place finish .

Ben came a long way during his time at Wichita State and I think he gave the Shocks everything he had. Textron hired themselves a very fine and sharp young man. Ben probably left a some points on the table this week but all-in-all it was a very good effort on his part.

Congrats Ben and the best of luck to you at Textron.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 6, 2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Cessna Stadium appears to still have some utility - Kansas State Track & Field Championships:

Comment

RH: Throws Remain Skylar Arneson's Game

Sully takes an interesting look at former Shocker throws standout Slylar Arenson (from Nickerson) and his foray into the Highland Games.

Where are they now:

Skylar Arneson – track and field (2013-16)

Arneson, as he did at Wichita State, loves to throw heavy things and does it quite well.

Arneson is on his way to becoming a professional thrower in the Highland Games.

Last weekend, he won the World Amateur Championship at the International Highland Games in Bressuire, France. He scored 21 points in eight events (low score wins), highlighted by wins in the stone throws (16 and 22 pounds).

The Highland Games consist of eight throwing events – two stones (16 and 22 pounds); two weights (28 and 56 pounds); two hammer (16 and 22 pounds), weight over bar and the caber toss (a 175-pound pole).

Arneson is the amateur world record holder – 146 feet 10 inches – in the light hammer.

Okay, so he wears a dress. Anyone willing to take that up with him?

Comment

Unfortunate news:

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch. That's a significant loss for the Shocks.

Highlighs from the recent NCAA Outdoor Championships with Aaron True and Rebekah Topham capturing 1st team All-America honors and Ben Johnson earning 2nd team honors.

I rally liked the use of the hurdles to frame Ben in the starting blocks for the 110 hurdles. Nice work there.

Comment

Shocker Track Club, Inc.‏ @ShockerTC
            Signed! @ShockerTC Elite Team welcomes @true_aaron to membership! #ThrowItFar!

2:22 PM - 25 Jun 2019

Comment

"Either you be in control of your emotions or your emotions will be in control of you", says @coachbolt @GoShockersTFXC

Comment

Shockers' Hetzendorf Named Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year

Shocker throws coach John Hetzendorf was voted the USTFCCCA NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Men's Assistant Coach of the Year following the 2022 outdoor season.

Shocker throws coach John Hetzendorf was voted the USTFCCCA NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Men's Assistant Coach of the Year following the 2022 outdoor season.

Hetzendorf produced two First Team All-American throwers in Taran Taylor and Michael Bryan. Taylor placed fourth in the javelin in his first trip to the NCAA Outdoor Championships, and Bryan took fifth in the hammer to become a three-time All-American thrower. Both set school records and recorded the best NCAA finishes in Shocker history in their events.

At the American Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships, Hetzendorf's throwers claimed three of the four men's throws titles and scored a total of 56 points towards the Shockers' first AAC men's team championship.

Congratulations Coach -- very well deserved honor. Your a good man Big John.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Shockers' Hetzendorf Named Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year

Hetzendorf produced two First Team All-American throwers in Taran Taylor and Michael Bryan. Taylor placed fourth in the javelin in his first trip to the NCAA Outdoor Championships, and Bryan took fifth in the hammer to become a three-time All-American thrower. Both set school records and recorded the best NCAA finishes in Shocker history in their events.

At the American Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships, Hetzendorf's throwers claimed three of the four men's throws titles and scored a total of 56 points towards the Shockers' first AAC men's team championship.

Congratulations Coach -- very well deserved honor. Your a good man Big John.

One of my favorite tunes...

"Every mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive
                  He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
                  Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
                  And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big John..."
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    Unfortunate news:

Not sure there's ever been a person that is as successful as Roger who has carried himself so well his entire career. You'd be hard pressed to find something negative about him.

Also, his foundation has helped to educate almost 2 million children in some of the poorest countries in the world.

Roger and Tiger have done more for kids than perhaps any 2 athletes ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X