Men's Outdoor Track Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Outdoor Track Thread

The Shockers will begin the outdoor season this weekend with a few athletes. Not sure if there will be any men running at Stanford but the major action for WSU will be our awesome multi-event crew competing at Angelo State, Texas.

This group finished 1-2-3-4-6 at the MVC Indoor Championships Heptathlon a few weeks ago and it will be fun to see how good they are in the outdoor Decathlon.

The rest of the team will open up at home in Cessna Stadium the following Saturday, April 2, in a scored meet against Nebraska (3rd in Big 12 indoor) and UNI (Shocks beat by 3 points indoor). Should be a fantastic meet to start the outdoor season!

Good luck to the multi guys in Texas!

Strong start to the season for the men's multi's at Angelo State. Jordan Zerr leads WSU with a score of 6970, beating back teammate Austin Bahner by just 3 points. Although it's very early in the season - those are the top 2 marks in the NCAA this year! The rest of the crew was very solid will all 5 Shockers over 6400 points. Impressive!

Marius Sava opened up his season with a 9:08 in the steeplechase at Stanford. His PR is around 8:58 so thats a good early season time for him as well!

Nice job fellas!

Comment

Jordan Zerr led the Shocker men, finishing in third place with 6,960 points, slotting him 10th overall in WSU history. Zerr had 3,720 points following day one and continued his stellar performance during day two as the Grinnell, Kan., native came in the men's 1,500-meter run (4:36.60) and tied for second in the pole vault (14' 3.25"). Zerr also produced a personal best in the javelin throw with a mark of 167' 4", placing third amongst the multi's.

Austin Bahner came in three points behind Zerr in fourth place, totaling a personal best 6,957 points. Bahner came in second in the discus throw with a personal best toss of 124' 11" and had a solid showing in the javelin with a mark of 163' 2".

Toby Boese finished eighth, ahead of teammates Aaron Young and Justin Hickey who finished in ninth and tenth place, respectively. Boese tallied 6,515 points while Young (6,481 pts.) and Hickey (6,423 pts.) rounded out the Shockers in competition.

I'd like to know what those folks out in Grinnell, Kansas are putting in their food.

Comment

I don't understand, how did Jordan finish 3rd if his score is the top score so far in the NCAA?

Is 'Slup injured or did he just not compete this week?

Sorry one more.....Are the multi-events going to be contested at any of the home meets this spring?

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I believe Jordan was the first D1 finisher, there may have been a D2/NAIA/post collegiate to finish ahead of him. That score won't hold up to be a high ranking as the year goes on, just #1 for the time being.

Slupkowski was slightly injured during the MVC Indoor meet and has been taking it a little easier.

And yes April 13-14 (Wed/Thurs) of the KT Woodman the Shockers will host a decathlon and heptathlon. I think all of the girls will compete there and most of the guys with the possible exception of Austin Bahner, who will do the decathlon in Sacramento in 2 weeks.

Comment

The Shockers have a terrific season opener at Cessna Stadium Saturday, admission is free!

Come check out the Shockers as they take o Nebraska and Northern Iowa. Should be some great battles on the track and in the field! Go Shocks!

Comment

The Shockers have a very good season opener at home Saturday in front of a nice crowd at Cessna Stadium. WSU edged UNI but by a single point but lost to #9 Nebraska.

Some highlights...
              --Dylan Hartnett dropped down to the short sprints and had a nice meet, running wind-aided times of 10.67 in the 100m and 21.20 to win the 200.
              --Freshman DJ Lindsey ran good times of 21.70 and 48.44 in the sprints as well as passing Nebraska on the anchor leg to win the final event of the meet, the 4x400 relay.
              --Nebraska's Eric Lund got revenge on the Shocker hurdles as he edged Lawson Montgomery 13.96-14.12 with Todd McKown 3rd in 14.16. All very good times for the first race of the season.
              --Brett Trudo and Adam Capps finally got to throw the javelin and went 217-11 and 203-2 for 2nd and 3rd. Capps is coming off an ACL tear last year at the MVC Outdoor Championships - impressive indeed!

This week the Shockers will head to Sacramento State for the Mondo Mid-Major Challenge on Friday and Saturday. Nice way to start the season opener!

Comment

The Shockers will take their crew to Sacramento State this weekend for the Mondo Mid-Major Challenge. They will be competing against:

Sacramento State
                Utah State
                Fresno State
                Portland State
                Montana
                UC Davis
                and some post-collegiate professionals

Looks like it will be a pretty good meet and the whole team will be competing including Tyler Simmons back in the long jump (injured indoor), heat sheets are here: http://www.hornetsports.com/assets/s...MeetProg11.htm

Good luck Shocks!

Comment

'74, is there an update on the status of Josh Crawford? Is he done for the year, and what would be his career now?

Comment

From what I understand he is still practicing with the team but not competing ... yet. Stay tuned I suppose.

Comment

The Shockers returned from California with several good results at Sacramento State ...

Javelin throwers Brett Trudo and Adam Capps throws 217 and 207, respectively - Capps is coming off ACL surgery.
                      Dylan Hartnett runs 47.49 in his first 400m of the outdoor season.
                      Todd McKown dips under 14 seconds (13.99) with Lawson Montgomery 14.12 in the 110m hurdles.

Overall it was a decent meet for WSU. They will be HOME this weekend as they host the KT Woodman Friday and Saturday. If you want to see some great Decathlon action come out to Cessna Stadium Wednesday and Thursday! Go Shocks!

Comment

Sounds like the Shockers had another very good peformance hosting the KT Woodman meet. Very good report by Coach 'Bolt and write up at goShockers.com:

WICHITA -- The 62nd annual K.T. Woodman Classic showcased the a talented Wichita State University track and field program as the Shockers recorded 13 individual champions following the final day of competition on Saturday, April 16.

Krazystuff Sluplowski had a great decathlon on Wednesday and Thursday where he set a PR with 7,350 points which also slots him at 11th nationally and mirrored the find performance of Tonya Friesen in the heptaphlon.

Brandon Childs produced a 7' high jump win.

Jake Wike out of Derby keeps improving running a 3:50:14 to won the 1,500 meter run.

A lot of very good performances including many by native Kansans who are prominently represented on the team.

Comment

Some performances of note for the Shocker men at the Kansas Relays:

The men's 4x800m relay won a suprise title. The recent improvement in the middle distances has been much needed. Josh Crawford came back with a bang, jumping a PR 51-2 in the triple jump to place 2nd. Lawson Montgomery placed 2nd in the 110m hurdles with a PR 14.08 while Todd McKown fell off the last hurdle. Overall it was a solid meet with several top Shockers resting up for this weekend's BCS Buster at Cessna Stadium!

Comment

Good info as always '74 and looking forward to the BB this weekend.

I have an "old man's memory" questions.

A couple of seasons ago, I seem to remember a couple of really talented javelin throwers on the team. One in particular (as I remember) was in contention for an All America award if he could duplicate an early season throw of around 230. Is my memory or understanding of that event totally skewed?

I ask because as I was perusing the "bests" list in D1, there are some stunning figures for the javelin, again, if I remember what was one of the better distances just a couple of seasons ago.

I think the best so far is around 279 and it would take 250+ to even make the nationals. Anyway, just curious.

Comment

That's very perceptive of you about the javelin and you are dead on!

It's one of the events that have exploded recently, The Shockers have Brett Trudo, who has thrown 237' in his career (about 217 this year) and Adam Capps who has been around 220' and they will have to have some improvements to make it to NCAA's this year. Not sure why of the trend but interest in the javelin in the USA has obviously increased in recent years.

A note for the BCS Buster Saturday night, the men's javelin will be thrown in the middle of the stadium at 7pm under the lights, 4 entries for this meet have already thrown over 205' so it should be a blast to watch!

Comment

Working...
                              X