X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXMVC
    Originally posted by notquiteBWing
    Originally posted by forevershockerfan
    What was it about Evansville last Season that gave us fits in both games?
    I heard they hold us alot on D. always grabbing and pulling. I guess they get away with it.
    And their offense is uncommon enough that alot of practice is needed to be prepared for it.
    Sorry...there is no witchcraft or voodo when it comes to Evansville. They don't grab and pull any more than anybody else. There is not a clause in the officiating manual that lets Evansville grab & pull more than anybody else. I also don't think Marty Simmons is the second coming of his mentor Bobby Knight to the degree their offense is so uncommon HCGM needs more time to prepare for them than any one else.

The bottom line is WSU didn't play well against the Aces twice last year. In the first game the Aces made 50% of their shots, WSU 40%; Aces shot 40% from 3, WSU 22%; WSU was outrebounded 25-30 and commited 19 turnovers. Ellis fouled out, Durley, Hannah & Blair each had 4 fouls and limited their on-court time. Evansville scored 10 more points from the FT line.

In Wichita, the Shockers won by 6 in OT. Up to OT the Shockers didn't shoot well from the field or the line (around 60%), EU made 19-22 and EU outrebounded the Shockers.

Enough with the Evansville mystery. We picked a couple of games to underperform, while the Aces played well. It should not have happened, but no need for Dr. Phil.
    Completely discounting a legitimate question as to why Evansville appears to play very well against good schools seems unwise. Better to study what allows Evansville to beat WSU, UNI, and Butler all within a single year. To think you can walk into this without focused preparation would be a mistake in my book.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Enough with the Evansville mystery. We picked a couple of games to underperform, while the Aces played well. It should not have happened, but no need for Dr. Phil.[/quote]

Dr. Phil May?

Comment

[quote="Kung Wu"]
        Originally posted by SHOXMVC
        Originally posted by notquiteBWing
        Originally posted by forevershockerfan
        What was it about Evansville last Season that gave us fits in both games?
        I heard they hold us alot on D. always grabbing and pulling. I guess they get away with it.
        And their offense is uncommon enough that alot of practice is needed to be prepared for it.
        Sorry...there is no witchcraft or voodo when it comes to Evansville. They don't grab and pull any more than anybody else. There is not a clause in the officiating manual that lets Evansville grab & pull more than anybody else. I also don't think Marty Simmons is the second coming of his mentor Bobby Knight to the degree their offense is so uncommon HCGM needs more time to prepare for them than any one else.

The bottom line is WSU didn't play well against the Aces twice last year. In the first game the Aces made 50% of their shots, WSU 40%; Aces shot 40% from 3, WSU 22%; WSU was outrebounded 25-30 and commited 19 turnovers. Ellis fouled out, Durley, Hannah & Blair each had 4 fouls and limited their on-court time. Evansville scored 10 more points from the FT line.

In Wichita, the Shockers won by 6 in OT. Up to OT the Shockers didn't shoot well from the field or the line (around 60%), EU made 19-22 and EU outrebounded the Shockers.

Enough with the Evansville mystery. We picked a couple of games to underperform, while the Aces played well. It should not have happened, but no need for Dr. Phil.
        Completely discounting a legitimate question as to why Evansville appears to play very well against good schools seems unwise. Better to study what allows Evansville to beat WSU, UNI, and Butler all within a single year. To think you can walk into this without focused preparation would be a mistake in my book.[/quote]

Well let's hope HCGM doesn't walk into this game without focused preperation.
        :D

Comment

Dr. Phil May?
          Please excuse me for a brief stray into OT land.

I was taking classes when Dr. May first appeared on campus. Someone asked a question in the first auditing class he taught. The answer:

"We'll get to that, but if you're really curious, check out..." and then he cited the page number in the book, the paragraph on the page, and QUOTED the text there that answered the question. I knew it was going to be a long semester.

Me and half of that auditing class took drops. I took the class again in summer and was number 1 in the class (20-some in the class). Dr. May felt that summer school was such a short semester that it was impossible to learn everything necessary in such a short session, so there would be no A's awarded. He didn't wait until he saw grades, that announcement was made the first day of class.

That was the only class I ever took where I got a B for being number 1 in the class. I did learn a lot from Dr. May, so I can't complain about the results he achieved. One of the best profs I had at WSU.

Now back to round balls and circular hoops ten feet off the ground.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I don't think HCGM is discounting any game on their schedule, Evansville or not. He remembers what happened last year, and I am sure he will prepare the team to meet the challenge Wednesday night.

Everyone knows how important it is to kick off conference with a win.

I am somewhat more concerned about our road game at Bradley Saturday.

Comment

There's not a game the Shocks can't win remaining on the schedule. There is enough talent and depth to be in every one, even on the road.

It will all come down to preparation for each game individually (as some have mentioned in this post). Focusing on each as if it were the most important game of the year, and knowing that you can't achieve your overall goal without competing at every step will lead to the overall success.

I'm beginning to think that fast starts are incredibly valuable to this team. Not that it can't come back from being down, but getting out early leads to some great basketball.

Comment

Working...
              X