Clemente MVC new comer of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemente MVC new comer of the week

Well deserved. Coach M just said this will be Ramon's team next year... :yes:
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Bring the lunch pail Ramon!

Comment

To expound on joco's comments:

Clemente went to Marshall after the Monmouth game and told him he was tired of deferring to the seniors and that he intended to go out there and "do his thing". Marshall told him(paraphrasing) "We never asked you to wait to do your thing...go do it."

Comment

High praise, indeed, from Marshall.

Comment

Yeah, Ramon is getting up on D-1 ball now, now he can go to work!!!

And next year, another player with 'Moxy' will be Hawkins.

Comment

Interesting words. Do players really "hold back" and defer to veterans on a team at this level? I'm really surprised by the statement, not in a bad way, I would just think (and hope) that you would always come to play no matter who is in front of you. If that means pushing them out of the way, well, maybe they better take a side step and let you by.

My kids play sports and its the same philosophy when I work with them - not to give in to others or back down from them because they're older or more experienced. They've "quietly" been raised (and taught) to work harder and it shows in their schooling and athletics.

Comment

The answer is yes (with the exception of Xavier McDaniel), new players will defer to older players when they first join a team – not only on this level but every level. It is a sign of respect and not necessarily a bad thing. Often players that do not do this can cause internal problems because they have not earned a certain status on a team. I am sure that RC was playing hard. RC can only answer how he deferred to the veteran players.

Comment

Of course I don't KNOW what RC meant by his words, but I can understand making decisions that are in deference to older, wiser, more experienced players. One example that comes to mind is to choose to pass the ball to one such OWmE player as opposed to putting the ball on the floor and going hard to the hoop through traffic. There maybe is a tendency to be less of a shooter and more of a team-oriented contributor. To me these words don't indicate degree of effort or willingness, but rather more of a decision-making process. Just as seniors are supposed to take leadership roles, the OWmE players are assumed to be the floor leaders until proven otherwise.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

PJ also made the Noteworthy list:

PJ Couisnard, WSU -- Averaged 14.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in WSU's two wins against UIC and Wyoming last week on 52.6 percent shooting from the file and 57.1 percent (4-7) from the arc.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Nice work Mr. Clemente!!! As a person, RC was a breath of fresh air and a shot in the Shockers arm. He displays "personality plus" and I love "his ride", as he called it on his Video. RC is a class act and seems so full of life. He has confidence in his game and can back it up.

As a BB player, displays a high octane energy level. Now that PJ had 14 rebounds, RC will find a way to nose out 15 or more. He understands his role as a Team Player, and he works tirelessly to help his team win. We have yet to see this young man's best game this year.

Next year, RC will be more seasoned in our Program and elated to have a PG like his old team mate C.H. feeding him the rock in the right spots. RC knows how to finish inside, as indicative in his 40 point game outburst last year verses San Jac. This will not be the end of RC's accomplishments as a Shocker Player, this year, or next.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I hope he becomes player of the year! :clap: :good: :good: :clap: :posterwu: 8)
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I'm so glad Ramon WANTED to be a Shocker!!! I believe he brings a special attitude and personality to the team. I know it's early in the season, but I wouldn't trade any of our main front court players, Ramon, Phil, JT, Mantas, or Aaron, for a certain wishy-washy Redbird. After 6 games, Mr. Sampay has played only 40 minutes (10th on their team), is 4-17 (.235) from the field, 6 rebounds, 10 fouls, 7 turnovers, and a total of 9 points. Who on this board would have "thunk it" six months ago?

Comment

I like that Ramon is ready to get his game going in order for the Shockers to be more lethal. Sounds like he sees the window opening and wants to be part of solution right now. At least that's what I take from Ramons comment about not necesarily deferring everything to the Seniors. A freshmen he is not.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                              Interesting words. Do players really "hold back" and defer to veterans on a team at this level?
                              when i played as a sophomore for a small school, in both high school and college, i deferred to the seniors b/c i wasnt considered the leader. i can remember at least one time where it probably cost us the game. as a newcomer, although clemente is a junior, it is natural to not feel like its your team and to try to actually not press to hard. you are still new to the team and dont want to upset the balance.

Comment

Working...
                              X