Why the Shox will be better than anyone thinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So basically our only shot is to luck out with white guys? :D

Morrison was from Spokane so you can't argue he was overlooked. Not sure about Fazekas.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
      Also, from what I am told they need to execute better in half court sets. As Big Balla pointed out a team that plays a deliberate game could cause problems.
      For those who attended the Paradise Jam games as well as the Wyoming game, what did you think of the execution of the half-court offense?

Having only seen the ArkTech and Wyoming games, I thought the half-court offense looked improved. Slow start aside, we didn't have any stretches where we struggled to score. That, IMO, said a lot about how much this team is improving.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheaties
        So basically our only shot is to luck out with white guys? :D

Morrison was from Spokane so you can't argue he was overlooked. Not sure about Fazekas.
        He was from Spokane, but he was not heavily recruited. I think he was a 1 star recruit. He didn't have a lot besides Gonzaga to choose from.

I am sure there are also non-white examples, but I knew those two off the top of my head and I'm not going to do the research. :)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          Originally posted by Maggie
          Also, from what I am told they need to execute better in half court sets. As Big Balla pointed out a team that plays a deliberate game could cause problems.
          For those who attended the Paradise Jam games as well as the Wyoming game, what did you think of the execution of the half-court offense?

Having only seen the ArkTech and Wyoming games, I thought the half-court offense looked improved. Slow start aside, we didn't have any stretches where we struggled to score. That, IMO, said a lot about how much this team is improving.
          I would be interested in what people think as well because I get all my information second hand.

BTW - I was not told the team executed poorly in the half court but there was room for improvement. From what I understand; however, it is getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
            Originally posted by wushock
            The days of the All American at WSU is over.
            I disagree. We most likely will not get a high school AA in the near future, because those kids can choose just about any school in the country. However, just about every year there is a player overlooked coming out of high school that ends up being a collegiate AA, such as Adam Morrison or Nick Fazekas. We could very well end up with one of these kids. Admittedly, the odds are long, but I think it is a mistake to say never. If Stutz is as skilled as advertised, he could end up being another Fazekas.
            I'd rather have the collegiate AA anyday over the unproven Burger Boy. Plus you have a much better chance of one of the collegiate guys sticking around all 4.

But having said that, I still wouldn't turn a burger boy away.

Comment

Paul Miller, All American.

si.com

Comment

The days of the All American at WSU are not over. Any player that gets MVC POY will get looks and probably listed on All American lists, at least as honorable mention. Now, the days of McDonald's HS All Americans attending here may be over... though I hope not!

In regard to the half court offense in the USVI, it looked poor in the first two games, but primarily because shots were not falling early in the game. In both losses, we then seemed to get desperate late in the game and take ill-advised and off balance threes too early in the shot clock. We missed the vast majority of those shots, and some open shots in the paint as well.

My impression from those games was that when we executed the offense, we got open looks, particularly in the Baylor game. We did not look very good against the Monmouth match up zone, though we were still getting, and missing, open perimeter looks.

Overall, I would grade the half court offense as a C+ and a D+ in the first two games, and a B in the third.

I've been saying this for years, but it is amazing how much better you look when you shoot over 45% for a game. If you shoot over 55%, you look like you could beat any team out there. If we can stay over 45%, we will win more than we lose this year.
                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                  If we can stay over 45%, we will win more than we lose this year.
                  I think most Shocker fans could live with that for this year.

Comment

I hate to tell you this, but Kansas schools are a long way from the cutting edge of education. When I attended WSU graduate school, I had the same text book that I used at University of Houston as a junior, and that was in 1975. Try to transfer credits from a Kansas college to another state.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                      I hate to tell you this, but Kansas schools are a long way from the cutting edge of education. When I attended WSU graduate school, I had the same text book that I used at University of Houston as a junior, and that was in 1975. Try to transfer credits from a Kansas college to another state.
                      I had no trouble! I recieved my MBA in 1987 from UMKC. I know of many who have gone on to top schools from WSU. :posterwsu:
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                        Paul Miller, All American.

si.com
                        I think what the intent of the question whether or not WSU would ever get an All-American meant a McDonald's All-American for example, not that we can never produce one here at Shockerland. If that is the question, I agree that more than likely we would never get one, but "never" is a strong word. Highly unlikely would be a better fit.

Comment

Hey KC, I like the Christmas light show there. On one of the threads about Coach Marshall at Winthrop, I do believe he had several players that graduated that were heading to play basketball for pay at some capacity.
                          While here, I don't know if Coach will sign any High School Blue Chippers. However, before he leaves, I highly anticipate there could be some players that will develop and receive some All-American recognition, at least similar to Paul Miller.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                            Originally posted by McShocker
                            I disagree. We most likely will not get a high school AA in the near future, because those kids can choose just about any school in the country. However, just about every year there is a player overlooked coming out of high school that ends up being a collegiate AA, such as Adam Morrison or Nick Fazekas. We could very well end up with one of these kids. Admittedly, the odds are long, but I think it is a mistake to say never. If Stutz is as skilled as advertised, he could end up being another Fazekas.
                            I'd rather have the collegiate AA anyday over the unproven Burger Boy. Plus you have a much better chance of one of the collegiate guys sticking around all 4.

But having said that, I still wouldn't turn a burger boy away.
                            im confused. are we supposed to know which mcdonalds all americans will choke in college and which long shots will become collegiate all americans? b/c i think you would be hard pressed to find someone who wouldnt rather have a college all american on wsu than a high school all american.

Comment

Marshall is very capable of attracting some burger boys to WSU. Just give him a little time.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

If Marshall keeps recruting like he did for the 2008 class, and there is certainly no reason to suspect he won't, then it only stands to reason that each year it will be easier to recruit even higher quality/skilled players.

Maybe we won't have a McDonald All American, but within five years, we will have at least one or more players who will be voted All American.

You can bet your lunch money on that!

Comment

Working...
                                X