Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to watch road games (eastside) Larry Buds? Fox? AJ's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to watch road games (eastside) Larry Buds? Fox? AJ's?

Just curious where everyone's preferred place to watch games on the eastside is. I like to watch the games at home, however often times I find myself looking to go out with friends and watch the game somewhere...which was kind of forced to because of the TV situation this weekend. In the past I've always hit up Larry Buds for pregame and to watch some road games, but was highly disappointed in them this weekend when they said they were going to leave the sound on the Big 12 football game in the front and back rooms...In the past they've seemed to cater to WSU fans with the pregame bus which is handy, but I'm sure that's more about business and less about WSU. So we headed over to the Fox and Hound for the game, the service was much better than I've had in the past...I know other friends who went to Louieā€™s and had a good time and were able to watch the game. Sounds like most places were packed wall to wall with Shocker fans. I'm sure I'll go back to Larry Buds at some point but for now would prefer to find someplace where I'm not going to have to worry about whether or not they're going to put the game on.

I pretty much have to be at the game or at home. Nobody wants to hear my color commentary anymore according to my wife, plus the half paying attention fan drives me nuts.

I refuse to go to Larry Bud's....that's just a KU hangout. Ajay's is ok but too dark for me....pizza is dynamite however.

My usual choice? Hooter's. The usual pluses and they've installed a bunch of new TVs as well in the last couple of months. As always, the waitstaff is attentive and friendly. If I have to be out amongst the masses, that's the place for me.

Comment

you know this is an excellent question.

If I watch a game its either at home or in person. Always been a personal preference so I have never gone out to watch a game.

Comment

We went to AJs for the game this weekend, and had a so-so experience. The pizza is always great, and beer's pretty cheap.

This was the first time I remember AJs not playing the sound (they aired the Big12 game over the speakers, although about 80% of those there were wearing Shocker gear).

I can't believe a bar in Wichita wouldn't try to capitalize on Shocker games (both home and road) by offering deals, specials, promotions. Make it 'the place to go' for Shocker games.

Comment

Larry Buds blows, AJs is just what it is-a bowling alley bar, and the Fox and Hound does not really have a WSU feel to it. I like Old Chicago Old Town or out east personally. Hooters isn't bad either.

Comment

Went to Brooklyn's (old Player's on 21st) on Satruday for the game. They had the game on pretty much every TV and came to every booth to make sure they had the right game on for everyone. They also had the sound on throughout the bar. Was pleasantly suprised and might have to give them another try on a game. Only drank and had cheese dip which wasn't bad.

Comment

I'm with you guys, I prefer to watch the game in person or at home(can drink my own cheap beer). But I also like going to the Chalet. Mostly because of the cheap beer and the fact that you don't have to fight a crowd to find a good seat. They don't have the awesome big screens or delicious chicken strips like Larry Buds but they have decent bar food and none of the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                I refuse to go to Larry Bud's....that's just a KU hangout.
                I've been there when both KU and WSU were on TV and I can tell you there were way more WSU fans than KU ones. Probably 2 to 1. Luckily the games were offset by an hour.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by owenc
                  Originally posted by WuDrWu
                  I refuse to go to Larry Bud's....that's just a KU hangout.
                  I've been there when both KU and WSU were on TV and I can tell you there were way more WSU fans than KU ones. Probably 2 to 1. Luckily the games were offset by an hour.

Chris
                  I have to agree, WSU fans easily out number KU fans...not even close. Granted it seems to be a hangout spot for some, but I've never had a problem with them. A lot of the waitresses wear KU stuff (putting that KU degree to good use) so maybe it seems like more of them are there since they're running all over the place. I will give them credit however, for at least being smart enough to put on WSU gear on WSU game days to up those tips!

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                    I have to agree, WSU fans easily out number KU fans...not even close. Granted it seems to be a hangout spot for some, but I've never had a problem with them. A lot of the waitresses wear KU stuff (putting that KU degree to good use) so maybe it seems like more of them are there since they're running all over the place. I will give them credit however, for at least being smart enough to put on WSU gear on WSU game days to up those tips!
                    Another advantage is that on game days they have a free bus to and from the games. You can put your parking money towards beer and even take that beer onto the bus to the game. Afterwards they take you back to LBs.

Several of the wait staff are also WSU students.

Chris

Comment

Another advantage is that on game days they have a free bus to and from the games. You can put your parking money towards beer and even take that beer onto the bus to the game. Afterwards they take you back to LBs.

Chris
                      Are you a KU fan/graduate?

I won't flame either way because you are not a Troll like some others on this board.

I mean I will be more than likely going to KU for Atmospheric Sciences so its all good
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                        Are you a KU fan/graduate?

I won't flame either way because you are not a Troll like some others on this board.
                        I went to KU as an undergrad.

I'm also a KU season ticket holder. Although so far this year I've been to almost as many WSU games.

Chris

Comment

Chris
                          Yeah, I know some are WSU students; in fact some are WSU volleyball players. I've frequented Larry Buds quite regularly in the past given it's proximity to my house...and yes the bus has been nice. Just rubbed me a bit the wrong way by catering to OU and Nebraska fans rather than their core WSU customers.

Comment

Several of the wait staff are also WSU students.Chris
                            True, and IIRC, one of the wait staff is a former WSU volleyball player... a well put together tall blonde with extremely long legs. She's worth the price of admission at LB's. :D

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeah, I know some are WSU students; in fact some are WSU volleyball players. I've frequented Larry Buds quite regularly in the past given it's proximity to my house...and yes the bus has been nice. Just rubbed me a bit the wrong way by catering to OU and Nebraska fans rather than their core WSU customers.
                              I know Larry pretty well I think really they are mostly agnostic when it comes to teams. Their goal after all is to put butts in the seats. However, they definitely cater to WSU fans and WSU game days are their biggest crowds during the regular season at least. They do big business with WSU students too. Probably more than anyone else that isn't right on campus.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X