Earl Grant = Tad Boyle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl Grant = Tad Boyle??

I was wondering why the team looked like WSU had changed coaching staffs. Then I remembered there was a change at the assistant head coach level.

I'm starting to think there was a very good reason why Marshall brought Grant with him from Winthrop and that Grant may have been an integral part of Marshall's success to this point in time.

A change in coaching style at the level where WSU had the coaching change could affect the play on the court. That would be especially true before the new coach and the team learned how to work with each other.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

I am not very smart but I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't see a change in coaching styles.
    In the fast lane

Comment

I was thinking in terms of things that would only show up in practices. Teaching methods, staff/player interactions.

Maybe Grant was "the guy" for some players and his absence affects them. That would seem to be particularly true if Grant was heavily involved with the post players. None of the post players has progressed since last year.

Some of Turgeon's success here is attributed to Tad Boyle. Maybe some of Marshall's success was based on having Grant as his main assistant.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Not impossible, I suppose.

Comment

I am not sure you can make any conclusions based off of the schedule so far about coaching. Top 25-45 type teams are going to lose games. Our point guard alternatives all have issues at the moment. Joe can't keep anybody in front of him and hasn't figured out what a foul is and d. Williams is too aggressive at the moment. The early struggles of Clevin have been mentioned on other threads, but people are blowing it off. It is always a process to bring in new guys that have to contribute for the team to be successful. This team needs two newcomers that can be counted on and I think that process will take ten to fifteen games.

Bottom line is that we lost two games that I hoped we would win. I think we were the better team in one and I think we were soundly beaten by a better team. This doesn't mean that the players suck or that losing an assistant coach is going to kill the team for the rest of the season.

Comment

Re: Earl Grant = Tad Boyle??

Originally posted by Aargh
            I was wondering why the team looked like WSU had changed coaching staffs. Then I remembered there was a change at the assistant head coach level.

I'm starting to think there was a very good reason why Marshall brought Grant with him from Winthrop and that Grant may have been an integral part of Marshall's success to this point in time.

A change in coaching style at the level where WSU had the coaching change could affect the play on the court. That would be especially true before the new coach and the team learned how to work with each other.
            The two years look different because we miss a very fine underrated PG and our new PGs haven't got the hang of it yet. Period.

Comment

Interesting theory. I really liked Coach Grant, much more so than Tad. Coach Boyle is an outstanding coach and whether or not I liked him was irrelevant.

That certainly could be a reason for the lack of expected progression.

I think it's more about the team being disgustingly soft, outside Hatch and Smith.

Comment

What is your definition of soft? I am sure Hatch isn't, but he missed critical free throws when the shockers were making a run. He had turn-overs and keeps himself in foul trouble. I really like hatch, but calling the rest of the guys soft and putting him on a pedestal after last night is inconsistent.

Comment

It's not inconsistent at all.

Hatch gives total effort as a percentage at a far greater amount that others. Ben Smith is trying to emulate Graham.

I have no problem supporting a bad team. I've done it for years. I have a problem with a team lacking effort and having a lack of preparedness.

Those 2 items are way too regular of late.

Comment

Doc, I respect your opijnion, but I don't get the Hatch lovefest. He is not a very good player. I admit he plays hard. I admit he may be of fine character. Give me five players of the same level of skill and effort as Hatch at the five positions and I'll give you the most respectful and hardworking 18-win team you've ever seen. Not to mention that three of them would foul out per game.

Admittedly we are soft. There is more to our suffering than softness. Durley is Durley: takes plays off on defense and takes the wrong shot often on offense. Our point guard situation is problematic. Our center has found his ceiling: owning any player not as athletic as he is and being useless against anyone quicker, faster, or stronger. Kyles and Murry physically are the equal of any player we've played, but Murry-maybe due to the position he's playing-has not been effective.

I expect us to sweep through the Valley, because we are better than the crap teams in this league. We are not of the caliber to go beat top-20 teams on the road. Last night was no fluke. We are Anthony Michael Hall in "Pretty in Pink." King of the D**KS!
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I imagine that there is some loss of a sense when a valuable assistant goes elsewhere, and that it might show up in the details of the game, but you also have to think about what a new assistant might bring to the table too.

And so far, I like what Coach Dollar is doing. I am not sure about the recruitment of Tekele Cotton, he doesn't seem to have the stats to back up his recruitment for the level of player we are now recruiting, but I wil trust the coach on this. I just hope he does not turn out to be somewhat of a bust for us like Adam Liberty or Arby Butler or Kenny Manigault seemed to be.

Defense is nice, but it can be learned, it just takes effort on the players end, but Offense can not always be learned, some of it is just natural talent of the player.

Comment

Working...
                      X