Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why David Kyles should NOT start against UConn in Maui

Are you Freakin kiddin me??

Of course any sane person would start him, but what a perfect hammer (6th man) to have to spark the offense and toughen the defense at the same time.

Start Toure, Graham, Ellis, Stutz, and Durley.

Mix in David "I Need More" Kyles, and then, appropriate blends of Gabe, Demetric, EO, Rags, Jerome, Ben.

Sounds like a pretty good recipe to me!

:wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters:
    For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
    - said no one ever...

We already have Toure playing outside of his normal position. Making Graham move from 3 to 2 and Ellis from 4 to 3, even if they can do it, means that 3 of 5 starters are playing out of position. I don't see any way that would work out well.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Coach Marshall oftens says that David is not consistent.

I believe he has not been consistent because he lacked confidence in his play.

David has to be feeling good about himself, after the last game. If he starts against U-Conn, it will reinforce his confidence.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Let's not try and reinvent the wheel. Same starters as vs. TSU. Ride it til it bucks you off. The only thing that I believe HCGM will doe is situational sub, not whole-sale subs. I think the starters perform better early than vs. TSU & Toure' shadows Walker & does well. We have more "help" defense than Vermont.

Comment

If Murry has to run the point, why even think about starting anyone over Kyles? 17 points, albeit against inferior competition, is no mean feat. "Honor the streak," Crash Davis says, so honor it we should. Kyles is hot, and unless he is skipping class or something worse there is no reason why he shouldn't start if Murry starts at the point.
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

My choice for starters versus UConn is as follows: Toure, Kyles, Hatch, Durley, and Stutz. However, the next 5 will get their shot to see who is hot and who is not.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Start Ellis? Tell me one reason why!!! TM should not be the point guard. D Will should be point. Stutz, Durley, Hatch, Murry, Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is Ellis even playing over anyone? Thats the first guy Marshall recruted and he is stickin with him way to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coach is not putting the right guys together. YES I SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              " If you build it they will come ", Koch Arena

Comment

Did I miss something? How far into the season are we? Oh, 1 game. :ohno: :roll: Let's judge the players ability from 1 game against an unworthy opponent. Disregard anything that ever happened last season. I'm not doubting David's ability, but he has never been consistent. So for Monday, Kyles will probably only start if Murry is at point, which is possible at this point.

Comment

Gabe Blair makes a pretty fair 6th man. I think Ragland could also do well coming in at SG. That would leave DWill coming in to give Murry a breather, which is the role where he is probably most comfortable.

Either Ellis or Durley makes a great 6th man, because either one of them changes how the opponent has to play.

That's a lot of options for who should be the 6th man.

If Kyles works hard at practice, he HAS to start or the coaching staff is showing absolutely no confidence in his game.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If anyone here has more experience coaching D1 ball, and has been more successful than HCGM then feel free to second guess him. otherwise keep your mouth shut and watch the kids play ball. i think he knows what it takes to win. thats why he gets paid the big bucks.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Murry, Hatch, and Stutz are going to be starting no matter what barring no injuries and that is from coach himself. http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...CLID=205033740

Comment

After that.......Ellis, Durley, Rags, Kyles are all right there.

Comment

Originally posted by griswald13
                          Murry, Hatch, and Stutz are going to be starting no matter what barring no injuries and that is from coach himself. http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...CLID=205033740
                          I have to confess. Marshall gave me a call a couple of weeks ago. It went like this:

Coach: Hey, I'm really confused about who should be starting. What do you think I should do?

Me: Well, you've got to start Murry, Stutz, and Hatch. That's the core of your team right there.

Coach: Wow, that's an interesting idea. That had never occurred to me.

Me: Here's how it works. That gives you Blair, Durley, and Ellis fighting for a start. Blair should have a shot at a start.

Coach: You really think so? I hadn't considered that. I'll have to give him a look and maybe I can see what you've observed.

Me: Ellis is a little weak on the offensive end. Maybe that type of competition might get him to focus on his offense and maybe take some extra practice to see if he can improve that aspect of his game.

Coach: Ellis is weak on offense? I hadn't noticed that.

Me: Yeah, his points per game are pretty low and his shooting percentage is lower than most front court players.

Coach: Really? Let me check out his stats....(Pause while Marshall looks up the stats)...Wow! You're right. I had never noticed that. I'll make a note for our next practice.

Me: And maybe Durley will pay a little more attention to his D in practice if his spot in the starting lineup isn't guaranteed.

Coach: Durley? Work on his D? Is there a problem there? I've heard rumors about that, but I thought it was just fans with unrealistic expectations.

Me: Yeah, J.T. sometimes mails in his D and I've heard that sometimes in practice he doesn't give 100% when he's working on defensive drills.

Coach: Wow! You sure have some information I've never gotten. I'm so glad you pointed that out. I'll take a look at J.T.'s D in practice. Maybe there's something we can show him that he's not doing right now.

Me: Then - if you leave open the possibility that neither Ragland or Williams is starting at point, then you could give Murry a start there and let Kyles know that you've got enough confidence in him that he can get consideration as a starter.

Coach: Aargh, you're a genius. That never occurred to me. Do you really think it would help Kyles if we showed some confidence in him?

Me: Oh, yeah. Kyles has some great skills, but he doesn't seem to realize that he can relax a bit and play at 90% of his capability instead of 120% and do better that way.

Coach: I believe you might be right. Are you telling me that Kyles might be lacking some confidence and might be trying to do too much instead of just playing the game that's within his capabilities.

Me: That's exactly what I'm saying. I think that if you show Kyles that a starting spot is on the table for him and let him know that you trust him, you might find an outstanding talent who either lacked the confidence or opportunity to show just what he could do.

Coach: I'm so glad we had this conversation. You really opened my eyes. There are a lot of things you said that I just hadn't noticed on my team. Thanks for your great ideas.

The rest of you don't need to worry about helping Marshall with his lineup decisions. I've got you covered.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Aargh, you are a genius!

Comment

I go with Coach Marshall's choices first; then if he needs any help, then my ideas to jump right in!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X