State of the WSUnion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the WSUnion

Shocks 771, 7Hottamales, and I have been tossing out our thoughts to each other through email about the program. Here is a sample of some of the points with specific players protected from being named as the names don't particularly add to the points.

Our basic consensus is that most fans that are in full blown panic mode (or are about to go there with a couple of more losses) fail to be able to see the forest for the trees, the vision, the strategic plan, etc.

-----------------

...The premise that player x, player y, & player z have never been as good of all around players as what the fan base thinks they are is not a message that can or will be received. They have all had serious limitations for their role, but no one accepts that. MT found a way for about a 20-25 game stretch to mold his team of players with quite a few deficiencies into a beautifully smooth running machine that did all the little things correct and had a guy with a lightening quick release shooting 45% + from 3 and a big man with excellent touch and senior composure getting just enough done offensively to be effective against a the right match ups. The truth of the matter is that we will have better talent and a better system within 24 months than we have ever had and until that point it will be patchwork keeping it together on a nightly basis. We will be fine. But we won’t be top 40 until we can get some talent that you can game plan with.

...No shooters and limited athletes (particularly for their small size) = a headache for a coach to try and find points with.

...A lot this season was dependent on a couple of new players that Marshall truly didn’t have the time to go through a full recruiting and evaluation cycle and bring in. It appears that player a & player b are looking likely to be busts so that makes it impossible to piece it together effectively for awhile.

...MT left the cupboard in the dumpster in the back alley. I only hope that we can bring enough talent in soon enough to take advantage of Mekel, Ellis, Durley, and Hawkins. I think we will. My prediction is that you will never see another (multiple players that we have watched MT try and plug in over the past 5 seasons with perceived significant deficiencies) again at WSU as long as Marshall is around. Those types of players are cute, but they leave very little room for error.

...Think about what last season’s team would have looked like early on without Ogirri out there opening things up or without Wilson scoring down low the last half of the season. It was already ugly.

...This team has no good shooters and no true post presence. What can we really expect?

...Our only chance this season is to expect unfair immergence from Ellis and Durley. Ellis looked extremely raw to me in the 3 times I’ve seen him so I doubt that he can do enough to help wins games. Durley may be a solid up and down piece to the puzzle this season.

...Maybe the 7 footer will show up yet. Of course you know how I feel about 18 year old 7 footers…

...Question for you – Is PJ any better of an offensive player than he was 2 (or maybe even 3) years ago? In my mind, dude hit his upside once he was physically mature. If a small guy can’t shoot, he only has a ceiling so high…and that is generally limited once they have reached the optimum size/strength limit.

...This is a season to relax and accept anything positive that happens as gravy. I’ve said that since MT left. I can’t imagine having anything too negative come out of this season. All I’m looking for are signs of upside life for the future. That’s why I actually left the 1st game pretty satisfied. Mekel is obviously a baller and Durley has a very repeatable shot with confidence. Ellis is worthless now, but has more upside than just about any player I saw under MT. No one plays hesitant. These are all good long-term signs. We just need to not put undo pressure on Marshall and let him do his thing for awhile. My biggest fear is that the fan base expectations will result in him changing his coaching DNA to try and sell out for short run results.

...Remember the Fat Man up the road had 1 D1 win in his first season and it was against a team that had no D1 wins. We have the right guy. Give him a chance to upgrade from Mid-Con level talent and fully implement his system and we’ll be okay.

...Just have to look at the bigger picture and understand what can and will be accomplished with a re-energized guy at the controls, a guy that believes we can recruit at another level, a guy that believes in variety of strategy, adaptation, flexibility of skill.

----

Thoughts and feedback?

well put i suppose, even though its only three games into the season. i think marshall will get this ship turned around soon enough.
    ________
    Washington Marijuana Dispensaries
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

you're totally right. S-net's makes a big deal out of this. what do you really expect from this team. of course, there's bad games but it's the first year

Comment

I think you guys probably covered most of it there. As has been evidenced in the past couple of games (and others have pointed it out already), some of the returners haven't adapted to this style of play and system, and truthfully may never adjust to it. This happens with new systems and should be expected.

I also believe that you are correct that coach is bringing in recruits that will compliment the guys that he brought in this year. A 7 ft guy will compliment another 7 footer any day. He is bringing in a PG that will be able to play his type of style, and I truly wonder if there might not be another one signed still.

We will have to suffer (I really hope not, but it looks possible) through this season with the hopes that coach just needed a full year of recruiting to right the ship.

Comment

You are spot on, baby.

This team may be worse than Turgeon's first team. But, you know what? I don't care, because we will win under this coach and when we do I will have moved down about ten rows taking over for the corporate fatcats and fair weather fans that have jumped ship. :D
          Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane
            You are spot on, baby.

This team may be worse than Turgeon's first team. But, you know what? I don't care, because we will win under this coach and when we do I will have moved down about ten rows taking over for the corporate fatcats and fair weather fans that have jumped ship.
            Bingo Denny! It's all about the improved sight lines for future years for the true fans!

Comment

We need a losing streak to help schedule some good home games anyhow. Hell we my be able to get k brewster better seats as well....

Comment

Thanks to you 3 and your efforts and input here. Here are some thoughts I have. PJ will probably need to focus at the 3 this year, although it does not concern me when he plays the 2 spot. I will never forget his big-time game versus Tennessee at the Dance. Then last summer, at the Pro-am, he lit it up and really impressed one of the starting KU guards. I still think PJ will be a MVC 1st team pick this year.

MB was also huge that very year when we beat Creighton here in Wichita. He was the one making the big shots at the end or we lose that game. PJ, GM, and PJ will be fine.

We are seeing positive flashes in certain areas from JT, PT, (he is making his free-throws now), Mr. Clemente, and AE. MG is known as a scorer but has had a slow start scoring, but getting some rebounds. Getting AB and EO in here and adjusted will help our bottom line depth wise.

Yes, it seems many years, I predict with my heart rather then sound logic. However, it is still very, very early. We will be fine and I sure like the recruits that are coming soon. No doubt to me that Coach Marshall, in due time, will keep us moving forward and take us places we want to go.

REPLY #7 :bow:
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Proshox and his gang,
                  Not a bad analogy. Not bad at all.
                  This may be a tough year (it reminds me so much of MT's first), but it will only be a bump in the road compared to previous coaching changes. I would never throw in the towel on a current season, but there is a lot of young talent on the current roster and it's going to take some time.
                  On the bright side, how about that PT stock! Looking like a very good investment after all. 8)
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
                    Proshox and his gang,
                    Not a bad analogy. Not bad at all.
                    This may be a tough year (it reminds me so much of MT's first), but it will only be a bump in the road compared to previous coaching changes. I would never throw in the towel on a current season, but there is a lot of young talent on the current roster and it's going to take some time.
                    On the bright side, how about that PT stock! Looking like a very good investment after all. 8)
                    No kidding, glad I bought some shares!! :good:
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

this year

so we've dropped the first 2 games of the year and it seems everyone has discounted the team already. Doesn't seem too long ago that everyone was on board that this team will be much better come February and March. If that's the case, then we should have expected early season bumps. The bumps must be much worse than we all expected. Either that, or we secretly thought we were going to dominate in the early season. I still think we have a chance to turn out a decent season and have some sort of post-season success. Best thing to do is just enjoy the season and keep rooting them on no matter what.

Comment

Not worried here, GM does not have the players for his system yet. Not a slam on anyone, everyone fits into a system and we are in the twilight zone right now. Have a feeling we are going on a roller coaster ride, sit back and enjoy- we will be better come January!

Comment

Working...
                        X