Gal Mekel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gal Mekel

I wanted to start a thread about Gal Mekel, because I think he's been the most consistent player through the first five games, as well as the most improved player coming back from last year. I don't think he's getting much respect, especially when you have ShockerNet staff members, like EAGLE, saying:

Originally posted by EAGLE
    I don't care what anyone says Gal is not a team player( it's all about me) sorry but it's true. I have no hope for this team to turn it around.
    in this thread: http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtop...hlight=#153852, after the Monmouth game.

For EAGLE and anyone else that agrees with him, you have no reason to accuse Gal Mekel of not being a team player. You have no basis on which to make this claim. Gal Mekel is the hardest worker on the team. Coach Marshall has said this at least twice that I have heard. He is the only player who has scored in double figures in all five games this season. He's taking good shots and he's making them. He's 26-50 (52%) in field goals through the first five games. By contrast, PJ is 14-38 (37%) and Matt is 14-39 (36%). Gal still has to work on his ball-handling skills and his decision-making, but his defense is solid and he's scoring well. Oh, by the way, he's also 10-10 (100%) in free throws through the first five games.

The reason why we lost these two Paradise Jam games is because of poor shooting by our veteran players, not because Gal is not being a "team player". The shots last night were open shots, the guys just weren't making them. PJ going 1-16 in the last two games is not Gal's fault. Gal is not grabbing PJ's arm when he shoots. Gal is probably working his tail off running sets to help get PJ open for some of those looks. I suspect you don't like Gal for other reasons and you're scapegoating him as the reason for this team's poor offense. I can't think of any other reason why you would single out Gal as the cause of the last two losses.

I think Gal has been playing great so far.

I feel alot better when he's in also! :posterwsu: 8) 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I agree 100%. The reason Gal looks to shoot more is because he is a shooter. He looks to shoot the ball when he gets it. That has nothing to do with him being a team player, even though he is one...

Comment

Yeah, I've been puzzled too about the negative comments. Hell, if anything, he should be shooting more not less.

Comment

GM was off some today but made the crucial free throws to save the day. Atta baby GM!!!!!!!
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
            GM was off some today but made the crucial free throws to save the day. Atta baby GM!!!!!!!
            Gal's shot may have been off some, but from what I could hear, I think he played a fine game and the 4 pressure packed free throws down the stretch were great.

I continue to have that gut feel that this is his last year here, but he is really special and I sure would not mind being wrong.

Comment

This is Gal's 'Breakout' year. He starts showing that talent he has. The reason that one poster thinks it is about Gal, is because Gal has to draw the opponents to him before he dishes off a pass to another player for the basket, and I am glad Gal is taking more outside shots this year, because his shooting has been good overall.

Gal puts the opposing team off-balance, and that is good.

Comment

Noticed Gal had 6 assists to 1 TO today. Did he play better at the point, or were the stats just circumstantial?
                Livin the dream

Comment

The problem with Gal is that he is not a pass-first PG. He is a dribble, then shoot, then pass PG. The Shox need a PG that will totally buy into Marshall's style. They don't have one this year. The problem is that Gal is a below average shooter. He doesn't get his shot of quickly. He is an excellent slasher but is definitely too small to play 3. He doesn't shoot it well enough to be a 2, and he doesn't handle it well enough to be a 1. He is definitely close to one of those, but he is definitely not a PG. At least in America, maybe overseas. The turnovers are subsiding at least. That's good. But watch the guy's defense. It is brutal. He is never in a "stance." That is where he is killing the Shox. He can't guard anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by tolduso
                    The problem is that Gal is a below average shooter.
                    i really disagree with that statment there, because he is the best shooter on the team
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                      i really disagree with that statment there, because he is the best shooter on the team
                      I disagree big time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                        Have you seen the entire Shocker team shoot the ball? Just because you are the best shooter on a terrible shooting team (as of today) does not make you a great, good, or even average shooter. Again, he is blow average, especially for a 1 or 2 man.

Comment

The problem with Gal is that he is not a pass-first PG. He is a dribble, then shoot, then pass PG. The Shox need a PG that will totally buy into Marshall's style. They don't have one this year. The problem is that Gal is a below average shooter. He doesn't get his shot of quickly. He is an excellent slasher but is definitely too small to play 3. He doesn't shoot it well enough to be a 2, and he doesn't handle it well enough to be a 1. He is definitely close to one of those, but he is definitely not a PG. At least in America, maybe overseas. The turnovers are subsiding at least. That's good. But watch the guy's defense. It is brutal. He is never in a "stance." That is where he is killing the Shox. He can't guard anybody.
                          Man I disagree with everything you just said.

Comment

Gal's shooting is not the problem. The major mistake that he makes is when he begins to dribble too much and wants to play one on one. While this style worked with his European team, it leaves other players out and they stand and watch. He is not quick enough to rely on his dribbling and one on one skills although when he picks his moments on the open court, he often is more successful.

Comment

I'm in the middle...I love Gal's style of play (one of the most exciting players on the team IMO), but the turnovers are a big concern.
                              Jocks & Jills
                              3236 N. Rock Rd
                              Wichita, KS 67226
                              316-260-9800
                              http://www.jocks-jills.com
                              http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

Working...
                              X