Next year's schedule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next year's schedule...

Looks like we are having some issues completing our schedule for next year. :( Wonder if we'll be forced to add the Alcorn St's of the world again....

Meantime, at Wichita State, Marshall waits for his phone to ring. Wichita State has just two home games -- University of Missouri-Kansas City and Tulsa -- secured right now. He'd love to have a two-for-one series with Kansas or Kansas State, where he'd play home, road and neutral-site games against a well-known in-state team. Keep dreaming, he said.

He is still searching for four games for next season.

"It's going to take a while," Marshall said.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

I think I might fire the Jayhawk I hired down the hall (kidding people!). I'm mad as hell!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Fire him!

Comment

This isn't new and there is very nearly nothing you or I can do.

All I would suggest is to personally pledge to the Administration that you will fully and more generously support a program that is willing to give up a home game or 2 and potentially a slightly worse record in return for playing a higher level of competition.

It's fine if you won't support that, but then don't ***** about 24-7 not getting into the tournament.

Personally, I both publicly and privately pledge my support and state that I would more generously support a program that goes 21-10 and plays 3 extra road games against quality opponents (and have those games be losses) than a team that is 24-7 and plays road apples at home.

Comment

^^ this

Comment

Several coaches of good mid major programs are lamenting that no one will play them. I'm not sure all of them have talked with each other about a home and home. Since the BCS schools are all going to say no, isn't playing each other a better alternative than Alcorn?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Personally, I both publicly and privately pledge my support and state that I would more generously support a program that goes 21-10 and plays 3 extra road games against quality opponents (and have those games be losses) than a team that is 24-7 and plays road apples at home.
              Most (if not all) of our roadies on on TV these days, so it's not like we have to huddle around a radio to catch it live.

Our start to the non-con schedule in 2006-07 was about as much fun as I've had as a Shocker fan, and the three big ones were on the road.

Comment

On a related note, is our LSU game still going to happen in Shreveport this fall? I seem to remember talk of them exercising an option to not play it.

Just curious as I will be making the trip and bringing at least two Texas Aggies that I've indoctrinated as Shocker fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News
                  On a related note, is our LSU game still going to happen in Shreveport this fall? I seem to remember talk of them exercising an option to not play it.

Just curious as I will be making the trip and bringing at least two Texas Aggies that I've indoctrinated as Shocker fans.
                  Its crime against nature to indoctrinate an aggie.

Comment

It's a crime against nature to think that you can indoctrinate an Aggie.

Comment

I agree we should do what we can to play quality opponents. It's the only way to take the next step. Gonzaga had to go prove themselves on the road in order to earn the respect they get today. With the team we have this next season it's time to "play anyone, anywhere".

I also wonder if K-State or KU would consider a deal where there would be 1 game at IBA, 1 at Sprint and 1 in Lawrence/Manhattan. That way they don't have to whine about coming to Koch Arena. The IBA arena game would still be well supported by WSU fans, as would the Sprint Center game. Also I believe KU & K-State would get a cut of the revenue where they wouldn't if it was played at Koch Arena.

I do wonder how big of a cut (financially) the Athletic department would take having 3 or so less games in Koch though. That could be a reason not to do it if it's substantial.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I'd hate to give up 3 home games without having a reduction in season ticket prices . 2 - maybe. 1 - without a doubt if it were one of the RPI 300 games that pay the visitor $60K. I like to watch the walkons, but that's not goal at the beginning of the season.

If WSU were to take a true guarantee game (one and done on the road) they could probably get $80 - $100K for that. I'd a lot sooner watch a game like that on TV than watch a potential top-25 team "play" an RPI 300 type team at Koch. I'd give up a home game without it affecting my attitude about ticket prices in that situation.

IMHO the guarantee game wouldn't have to be Duke, N Car, or a school like that. Just a good name team with national interest. Whoever can deliver the best TV coverage (national broadcast, ESPN 2 would be good) can keep the money. Just get WSU some coverage and pay the guarantee.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                          I think I might fire the Jayhawk I hired down the hall (kidding people!). I'm mad as hell!

Collateral Damage ;-)

Comment

If a team was willing to play anybody without having to posture itself first, I don't see what the problem is.

There are so many teams crying about scheduling, why don't they get together and play each other????

Comment

I thought all those so-called "major programs" wanted to play games in Wichita so they could recruit Perry while they were here...

Guess they are worried a potential top 25 team might embarrass them.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                              X