3rd Postseason Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Postseason Tournament

The producer of some early-season tournaments announced it will start a 16-team postseason event that will augment the NCAA and NIT.
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Now you have to really suck to miss the postseason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I believe the NCAA has a rule in place which forbids its members from turning down an invitation to an NCAA tournament (NIT is owned by the NCAA), to attend a non NCAA sponsored tournament. I believe the rule was enacted in the early 70's after Marquette University, coached by Al McGuire, snubbed the NCAA tournament for the NIT. So the NCAA could effectively destroy the competition by not allowing any of its member institutions to turn down an invitation to the NIT in favor of some non NCAA event. Maybe.
      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I don't know if that rule applies to other than the NCAA tournament. The NIT is the National Invitation Tournament, which you don't have to take an invite to, which I have seen teams do in the past.

I like the idea of the best of 3 championship though. A team could get a couple of extra games at home to end the year.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
          I don't know if that rule applies to other than the NCAA tournament. The NIT is the National Invitation Tournament, which you don't have to take an invite to, which I have seen teams do in the past.

Teams have done that in the past, but now that the NIT is owned by the NCAA, that's probably not going to happen anymore.

Comment

If any football team can get into the post season provided they win 6 Div 1 games, why shouldn't BB get on the gravy train as well?

You're right though. If you don't make it into one of the three tournaments, you really stink.

Comment

With 16 teams, I would expect about 1 to be from a non BCS conference on average.

Come to think of it.......probably less.

Comment

Could name it the Gary Williams Boo-Hoo Invitiational. Question is will it be the third tier behind the NIT?

The new CBI (College Basketball Invitational) could also stand for

Couldn't
                BCS our way
                In to the other two tournaments
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

CBI

Cry Baby Invitational......named in honor of Gary Williams.

It should be played on the Maryland Campus every year. And of course, Maryland should be the host team, keep all the money, the glory, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

I heard on Sports Radio 810 out of KC yesterday the list of "potential teams" had the tournament been played last year.

Not one came from a nonBCS league. In other words this tourney will be for the heavy weights that had a sh*tty year. This one's going to be all about name recognition. Just an opportunity to pull some extra money from the teet of the cash cow.

Comment

The problem is it probably won't be a moneymaker for the majority of the schools if they are from a BCS conference. Can you imagine their attendance? They might draw 50% for a third-tier tournament. If they want excitement...they'll need to invite some of the non-bcs schools.

Comment

Here's the recipe to make it fun and more likely a ticket revenue generator:

Take the best 8 BCS and best 8 non-BCS teams remaining in the RPI (or whatever index) and have the BCS teams all play at a non-BCS school. The so-called "little guy" will likely have great ticket sales thanks to getting so-called "Mr. Big" in the house. The boo-hoo BCS teams can then prove their mettle (or not) on the floor and ON THE ROAD.

Hey lets have the finals in the ICT downtown arena come 2010!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand
                          Here's the recipe to make it fun and more likely a ticket revenue generator:

Take the best 8 BCS and best 8 non-BCS teams remaining in the RPI (or whatever index) and have the BCS teams all play at a non-BCS school. The so-called "little guy" will likely have great ticket sales thanks to getting so-called "Mr. Big" in the house. The boo-hoo BCS teams can then prove their mettle (or not) on the floor and ON THE ROAD.

Hey lets have the finals in the ICT downtown arena come 2010!
                          Actually, that would probably make quite a bit more money. Well.......come to think of it, probably only the first round, cause all the BCSers would be done after round 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X