• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martymoose
    Originally posted by RoyalShock
    A lot of league office bashing here.

For the bashers I have a question . . .

What do you expect the league office to do to "promote" the league and it's members? Be specific and provide evidence that either they are not currently doing those things or that other leagues are.
    Fortunatly we're not running the league...also I'm guessing most of us couldn't...however that doesn't take away from the fact that we can tell them when they are doing a poor job.

If an electritian comes out to my house to fix an electrical problem, but he leaves and the problem is still there. I know he didn't do a good job, but I'm not going to be able to tell him specifically what he needs to do to fix it. That's what he's being paid to do.
    This analogy is interesting, but I'm not sure it defends your case.

When you experience a problem, it is generally with an appliance or lighting. You call an electrician and say your washing machine isn't working. He comes out and does what he does well -- which is work on your home wiring. The problem is it could be the _appliance_ that is broken, not the home wiring.

He wiggles wires going into the appliance and it just happens to start working again, but technically is beyond his capacity to really solve the problem. The appliance stops working again as he leaves. He did his job, and you have to pay him for his time, but the appliance still doesn't work and you blame it on him.

In this analogy the home wiring is the conference, and the appliances are the individual schools. The NCAA is the power company -- which appears to favor companies that pay much higher electrical rates (BCS conferences) over the individual homes (all the other conferences).

Pretty interesting analogy.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shockball
      Originally posted by Aargh
      Here's something specific. The league office could put out a media release to CBS, ESPN, (and anybody else with an e-mail address) that mentions the Valley's 8 S16's since 1994. Out of 33 total entries in the tourney, that's a pretty good record.

The misinformation about the Valley's lack of success in the NCAA's is definitely out there and it seems the league office should do something to correct the misinformation.

But, according to a rep from the Valley office, that isn't a good answer. That's the obvious answer, so you would think they thought about it and determined correcting the misinformation was "not a good answer".
      Argh, they have the information to clarify the job for the second grade SID at UNI . They need to get it out there. This was on the Valley website Sunday morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) In an NCAA tournament full of upsets, Northern Iowa pulled off the biggest one: The Panthers took down mighty Kansas. UNI has become the eighth Valley team to reach the Sweet 16 since 1994. Notably, the Missouri Valley has received just 33 total bids from 1994-2010, meaning nearly one of every four Valley NCAA berths since 1994 have resulted in a Sweet 16 trip.

They could alsio bring up the fact that 7 out of 16 at large bids in this time frame have made the sweet 16.
      I would also add even more to that. I would state what seeds each of those 8 teams were. I think that SIU was a 4 or 5 seed when they made it to the Sweet 16 three years ago, but most of those Valley teams that have made it were double digit seeds. The only three that I can think of that were single digit seeds to make it to the Sweet 16 were UNI this year, SIU in 2007 and WSU in 2006.

Comment

What do you expect the league office to do to "promote" the league and it's members? Be specific and provide evidence that either they are not currently doing those things or that other leagues are.
        I'd like to see the MVC jump on UNI for the information they gave CBS et al about they are the first MVC champion to make it to the sweet 16 since 1979. The MVC looked bad all over the country in newspapers the next day. Even the Cedar Falls paper got it wrong.

UNI ran the valley down to make themselves look better. The league should respond to this PDQ.

Next is reinstating the scheduling requirements.
        Excellent point. It was UNI's printout that was handed to Kevin Harlan.

I may have to delete my UNI avatar now.. :roll:
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

They can add in the fact that the MVC is 7th in RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

I'd like to see the MVC jump on UNI for the information they gave CBS et al about they are the first MVC champion to make it to the sweet 16 since 1979. The MVC looked bad all over the country in newspapers the next day. Even the Cedar Falls paper got it wrong.

UNI ran the valley down to make themselves look better. The league should respond to this PDQ.

Next is reinstating the scheduling requirements.
            Excellent point. It was UNI's printout that was handed to Kevin Harlan.

I may have to delete my UNI avatar now.. :roll:
            Naa, don't punish UNI for the doofus responsible for providing the print out to CBS... he should be 'tar and feathered' by the administration.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I should clarify that I'm not exactly pointing to the UNI misinformation bit. There has been a lot of MVC/Elgin bashing the past few weeks and was alluded to in an earlier post on this thread.

I agree they need to get that corrected. But this is fly-by-night media and once they've slept, nothing from previous days seem to matter.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I get tired of people assigning blame to Elgin or the league office for poor member-school performance, a perceived lack of respect from the sports punditry or assumed slights by selection committees.

Comment

Working...
              X