How to beat UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat UNI

When UNI plays someone that has never seen them before their sets are awful hard to defend, especially when the team has one day to prepare.

Their defense focuses on helping off of lesser offensive threats and making those guys beat you or letting a cold shooter in the game keep firing.

We had success against them here defensively because we knew what sets were coming and had enough guys make plays on the offensive end to win.

Really, Self should have known their game plan and KU would have been well served to heat up the ball 94 feet with traps and chest to chest defense most of the game to take them out of their sets, get some points off of transition and make them handle the ball under pressure which really affects your stroke late in the game. Instead their arrogance of "we play our game and let them try to figure us out" caught up with them.

Be real interested to see if Williams or Izzo have that same arrogance.
    Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

I wonder if the KU coaching staff even bothered to call WSU for film...

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
      Yea, the conversation went something like this:

Self: Hi Gregg
      HCGM: Hi Bill, are you calling to set up a series of games with us.
      Self: Uhhhhhhh, no. No offense intended Gregg, but playing the Valley doesn't do our program any good...it's not sexy enough if you know what I mean.
      HCGM: Yea, your right Bill...but at least your JV could log some minutes. what can I do for you then?
      Self: Well, I'm sure you've been following the "dance," and you might have noticed our 2nd round game is against a common foe for you guys down there in the Valley. I was hoping to get some film on those purple Panthers. They have a little guard from Iran named Funkamesh that jacks it up from all over the court...seems highly undisciplined, would probably launch one up late in a game with the lead when he didn't need to. They also have a kid I thinked named Alegolamb or something like that...can't shoot a lick and turns it over alot, but should be funny to watch him on film. And hey what about that big left-handed farm kid named Egghead I think...wana see film so I can point out to the refs he can't move out of the lane fast enough not to get 3-second calls all night. Any way if you could send a piece of film down her to OK City by pony express it will be all good. Thanks Gregg & good luck in the Valley next year. I'll make sure & send you the film of our game with UNI...should be a candidate for "Funniest Video's," ha, ha. See you Gregg.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC
        Yea, the conversation went something like this:

Self: Hi Gregg
        HCGM: Hi Bill, are you calling to set up a series of games with us.
        Self: Uhhhhhhh, no. No offense intended Gregg, but playing the Valley doesn't do our program any good...it's not sexy enough if you know what I mean.
        HCGM: Yea, your right Bill...but at least your JV could log some minutes. what can I do for you then?
        Self: Well, I'm sure you've been following the "dance," and you might have noticed our 2nd round game is against a common foe for you guys down there in the Valley. I was hoping to get some film on those purple Panthers. They have a little guard from Iran named Funkamesh that jacks it up from all over the court...seems highly undisciplined, would probably launch one up late in a game with the lead when he didn't need to. They also have a kid I thinked named Alegolamb or something like that...can't shoot a lick and turns it over alot, but should be funny to watch him on film. And hey what about that big left-handed farm kid named Egghead I think...wana see film so I can point out to the refs he can't move out of the lane fast enough not to get 3-second calls all night. Any way if you could send a piece of film down her to OK City by pony express it will be all good. Thanks Gregg & good luck in the Valley next year. I'll make sure & send you the film of our game with UNI...should be a candidate for "Funniest Video's," ha, ha. See you Gregg.
        Comedy Gold, Jerry.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

They were probably watching film of Michigan St and Maryland preparing for what they thought would be their first real match. No need for Ku to be waisting their time watching film of a MVC school.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3
            They were probably watching film of Michigan St and Maryland preparing for what they thought would be their first real match. No need for Ku to be waisting their time watching film of a MVC school.
            Doubtful the former head coach of Oral Roberts and Tulsa would look past a Valley team. Now his cocky players ... Whole 'nother conversation.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Not only did UNI, Bradley, and WSU beat KU and various Dances, but SIU only lost to them by about 3 and almost pulled it off. How can this be so?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

:good: Bump!!!!!!!

Reply #-7

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                  Not only did UNI, Bradley, and WSU beat KU and various Dances, but SIU only lost to them by about 3 and almost pulled it off. How can this be so?
                  Reminds me of a WSU team that lost to Drake, Creighton, and Evansville.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

SHHHHHH!!!!!!! How could these losses be so? Reality Check!!! YIKES!!!!!!!

Comment

Now his cocky players ... Whole 'nother conversation.
                      You hit the nail on the head with that comment.
                      Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

MVC policy doesn't allow member schools to trade tapes of in conference games or teams.

Comment

I GUARANTEE that Coach Self got film of UNI before the tourney started. Give him and his staff (not players) some credit (need I mention the former Valley coach on his staff whom I'm sure did had the scout assignment on UNI)

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                            Well thats easy, without the fictious basket SIU would have won. :posterwu: 8)
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                              I GUARANTEE that Coach Self got film of UNI before the tourney started. Give him and his staff (not players) some credit (need I mention the former Valley coach on his staff whom I'm sure did had the scout assignment on UNI)
                              Of course he did. That's why their game plan was even more amazing.
                              Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X