Seton Hall 19-12 rpi 60
    Washington 23-9 rpi 46 lost to Texas Tech at home
    Florida 21-12 rpi 54
    Arizona State 22-10 rpi 62
    Minnesota 20-12 rpi 73 conference 9-9
    Illinois 19-13 rpi 78

Finally, not on the national radar:

Wichita State 24-9 rpi 43

The Shockers at least deserve to be in the bubble discussion but if Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Marquette, Missouri and Georgia Tech are locks why isn't Wichita State?

Because the Mo Valley isn't the Big East. As for the Bubble, they mostly just put schools with names to keep their fan bases coming to the sites. Obviously Illinois is not a bubble team and if Illinois gets in and WSU is left out I'll make nasty posts on message boards.

Comment

Lunardi will put out his final prediction just before the Selection Show. You will see the bubble shift immensly. I still don't expect WSU to be in the discussion much, but his final prediction will look quite a bit different I would imagine.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I think we should be ahead of all of the "Locks" I mentioned above with the possible exception of Louisville.

A 7-9 conference record gets you in the final 64? Terrible call NCAA idiots.

Comment

Unfortunately we have no marquee wins over BCS schools. Pittsburgh was our only chance. Had we beat them and lost to Texas, I think we would be in. it's unfortunate that the second game of the season may have decided our post-season fate. Of course, we could have helped our chances down the stretch with more wins, but you get the idea.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Or not have lost to Evansville....
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I know I harp on this all the time. But please find for me any evidence that a team's own RPI is used as a selection criteria for their own inclusion/exclusion, let alone a significant one. We've been told by committee members it is just one of several tools they use, and it's mostly used to determine good wins and bad losses.

The RPI is not a perfect system, the committee knows it, so they use it accordingly.

I beg everyone to please stop using the RPI to show we should be in and others should not. If you want to go deeper and try to show how our average RPI win or loss is better or that we have more top 25 and 50 wins and fewer 100/150/200+ losses, then by all means.

We've been told by committee members for years not to put so much emphasis on the RPI. It has nothing to do with us being in the MVC. This was proven by MSU in 2006 when their RPI was so high but their resume was marginal, at best and wasn't noticeably better than any at-large team.

Now, having said all of that, in another thread I compared our team sheet (what the selection committee sees) with Memphis, who many had in as a 12-seed prior to their Houston loss. I showed where our resume looked better than theirs and how I think the committee will be talking about us more than the bracket-heads, who we love to use to project our disapproval on the selection committee. And if we don't make it we'll blame the committee for what is really the fault of the bracket-heads. We'll never know how much consideration we really got. Instead, we'll just assume because off what we heard in the media the past week.

wufan has it right. We beat Pitt or even Utah St. and avoid the UE loss, we're in and even the bracket-heads would be saying so.

[/rant]

Comment

After watching Mizzou suck against KU and NU I can't believe they are a lock.

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to link to an excel spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet contains the W-L records for each of the 16 seeds vs each of the other seeds for the 25-year period 1985-2009. The spreadsheet conatins one worksheet for each round (64,32,16,8,4,and final). There is also an "all games" worksheet.

I wish I could have done the "against-the-spread" records, but alas....

I'd be happy to share this information whether by posting if that is even possible or by email upon request.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

im4wsu, if you have a Google account, you can try uploading it as a Google Doc, then making it publicly viewable. If you're not familiar with the process, shoot me a PM, and if nothing else you can send me the spreadsheet and then I'll post it to Google and share it. The cool thing with the Google Doc is you can continue to update it at any time.

Royal is right, there are other factors hurting our resume. Namely that average RPI loss is the real thorn in our side. I honestly believe that if we don't have that loss to UE, our argument is much better. If we don't lose to UE and win almost any other game we lost, we would probably be in. Margins for error are thin when on the bubble. Yes, UNI lost to UE as well, but they also lost fewer games overall, and UE is their only really stinky loss.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The thing that bugs me about RPI is it's used to dictate if WSU is a good win or not. So we can be considered a good win. And a better win than other teams who will still get in over us based off of other things. So the committee is saying that beating WSU is better than say Illinois, but they're going to go ahead and put Illinois in instead of WSU. I know the RPI isn't perfect and isn't the only data used but that's always bugged me a little bit.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu
                        Can anybody tell me how to link to an excel spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet contains the W-L records for each of the 16 seeds vs each of the other seeds for the 25-year period 1985-2009. The spreadsheet conatins one worksheet for each round (64,32,16,8,4,and final). There is also an "all games" worksheet.

I wish I could have done the "against-the-spread" records, but alas....

I'd be happy to share this information whether by posting if that is even possible or by email upon request.
                        Upload to Photo Bucket.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Its a multitab spreadsheet, so I'm working on it in Google Docs. The upload is being balky right now, but I'll try again later. If it was a single sheet, a simple image upload would work best. I'll get it going as soon as I can!
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            The thing that bugs me about RPI is it's used to dictate if WSU is a good win or not. So we can be considered a good win. And a better win than other teams who will still get in over us based off of other things. So the committee is saying that beating WSU is better than say Illinois, but they're going to go ahead and put Illinois in instead of WSU. I know the RPI isn't perfect and isn't the only data used but that's always bugged me a little bit.
                            Exactley - it is used when convenient.

Comment

"I know the RPI is better, but they don't meet my eye test." "Eye would rather have a BCS team in."

Comment

Working...
                              X