Garrett and the unkept stat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrett and the unkept stat

This year on several occassions I have seen players from other teams beat our man on a drive to the bucket only to make a u-turn in the lane upon seeing Garrett waiting for them a few feet from the basket. The other team dribbles the ball back out to the three point line to try and reset the offense.

When this happens there is usually only 15 to 20 seconds at most on the shot clock and the other team has to rush to run a set or force a shot, certainly not a ideal way to run the offense.

To me, this basically amounts to a blocked shot by Garrett but nobody keeps track of how often this happens. I love seeing it and I'm sure that there will be times next season when Garrett and Ehimeh are in the game at the same time and it will be very difficult to get a shot off in the paint.

Discuss?

Re: Garrett and the unkept stat

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
    This year on several occassions I have seen players from other teams beat our man on a drive to the bucket only to make a u-turn in the lane upon seeing Garrett waiting for them a few feet from the basket. The other team dribbles the ball back out to the three point line to try and reset the offense.

When this happens there is usually only 15 to 20 seconds at most on the shot clock and the other team has to rush to run a set or force a shot, certainly not a ideal way to run the offense.

To me, this basically amounts to a blocked shot by Garrett but nobody keeps track of how often this happens. I love seeing it and I'm sure that there will be times next season when Garrett and Ehimeh are in the game at the same time and it will be very difficult to get a shot off in the paint.

Discuss?
    I've been saying the same exact thing all year. The minute he checks out of the game the dribble drive insues once again. The opposing big men will go against him, but not very many guards will drive on Garrett, and if they do their shot is usually altered and they miss the shot.

He's still got alot he can learn, but he's definately improving!
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I look at his potential still and just shake my head. Not because he's not doing some good things, but because once he finally gets 'there', he's going to be extremely tough to defend and no one in the Valley will want to take the ball inside the paint with him there.

My point is, he's already starting to be someone that many don't want to have to go up against due to his size, and we all know he's going to potentially add another 25-30 lbs. of muscle by the time he's a senior, as well as additional foot speed.

The best part of all is the fact that we can actually see him getting there.

Comment

Good point...but you ain't seen nothing yet.....

The inner fear and panic that you'll see on opponents faces when they see Ehimen waiting for them will be worth the price of admission.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          Good point...but you ain't seen nothing yet.....

The inner fear and panic that you'll see on opponents faces when they see Ehimen waiting for them will be worth the price of admission.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
          At least for the 5 minutes he's in there before he committs 5 fouls :shock: . EO will be very good, at least defensively. But until he learns when to go for the block without fouling and when to just stand and be a tree his minutes will be limited. I'm hoping he'll learn this quickly.

I'm also hoping he learns how to fight for position on offense. He's pretty lazy down there right now. I'm thinking that might have more to do with the coaching right now though. At least that is what I'm hoping for as well.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

With Garrett it will also be a matter of him taking the ball in and people not wanting to get in his way once he gets to his full size/strength AND his mean streak starts to develop. We can see glimmers of that attitude, but he's still pretty 'nice'. I can't wait until he's not as nice. Watch out.

With EO, I want to think that he will be that kind of defensive player but know it's not going to happen as quick as most of us would probably like. Like Garrett, it's going to be improvements year by year. Garrett's just had more time to develop.

Comment

I think Garrett's mean streak is coming. A couple games ago at home, during the first half, he went to throw down a dunk from a few feet out and the defender (who got a blocking foul) got knocked about ten feet across the floor.

All he needs is to add an X man style few words afterwards to top it off.

"Stay out of my way, son."
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I was busy with my son during the player intro's yesterday and happened to look up and see that intimidating photo of Garrett on the jumbotron and was confused for a split second.

After realizing Garrett was starting I was pretty fired up. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ellis but if Garrett hasn't made a case for cracking the starting line up then I don't know of anyone who has.

Awesome picture for the scoreboard intro though.

Comment

Official "Let's find something to complain about."

Okay, the regular season is over so I thought that we could start a thread for all of the petty, insignificant, stupid and thoughtless complaints that posters have made all season long.

There can't be that many seeing as how we finished second place in the 9th best conference in the country can there? Heck, there are at least eight other teams with more complaints than us.

KC can lead off if he feels like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X