Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most improved Shocker this Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd pick Stutz because the growth was more of a question mark, with Hatch you knew it was there lurking and ready to come out.

Comment

Using Plus/Minus scores

Player.......08-09..09-10..Change
      Hannah..... 3.9.....13.3....9.4
      Stutz........ -0.7..... 8.7....9.4
      Durley...... 4.9.....12.5....7.6
      Ellis.......... -0.7..... 6.6....7.3
      Murry....... 3.4......10.2....6.8
      Kyles........ -1.0..... 4.8....5.8
      Hatch....... 5.8.....10.8...5.0

Kind of surprising results. Of course, Prouty is more of an offensive measure; the plus/minus measures "effect on team performance".

IMHO, many on this board in general undervalued Hatch's value last season because his 3-ball was off. This year he's shooting plus everything else, hence perceived improvement.

Ellis contributes much to the team that ordinary stats don't measure.
      Marshall has evidently recognized the things he contributes and had started him until today.

Hannah really improved his running of the team. His FGA improved from 40.1% to 45.6%, his 3-ball dropped from 45.5 to 43.1, FT % incrreased from 73.1 to 89.3%; assist/turnover increased from 1.67 to 2.34.

Stutz is greatly improved to the eyeball and the stats show it as well. He is undervalued in the Prouty IMHO because of his limited minutes.

My vote would go to Stutz because he came from farther away and because comparing last year to this year doesn't recognize his improvement over the last half of this year. His improvement is more exponential and Hannah, Durley, Ellis and Hatch are more linear.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

From the first game this season to today's game, Demetric.

Comment

Lately when Stutz comes in the game=instant offense. His defense is starting to catch up.

Garrett's finally starting to get the chances that Hatch has had all year (starting lineup). Hatch was pretty decent last year--has improved a lot, but nothing like Garrett in my opinion.

In any case, it's great to have a couple of players that are working as hard and improving as much as Garrett and Graham!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
            I've got to go with Stutz.

He is going to dominate this league before he's done here.

Put another 15 pounds of muscle on that frame and he's going to be a handful next year. By the time he's a Sr, he could weigh in at 280. He will hold that weight better than Egelseder. As a Jr or a Sr he's a little more likely to get some whistles that benefit him.
            In case you don't recall, at the beginning of last season, Coach Marshall said Garrett would weight 280, before he graduated.

You are spot on.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Stutz, then Hatch. Although I have been very surprised by D. Williams play of late.
              If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

Definately, Hatch, if you take into consideration offense AND defense. Stutz can only be considered if you don't think of his untimely fouls, untimely turnovers, and missed rebounds, and the fact that he primarily only had good games against teams that had short or ineffective post players.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                  I'd pick Stutz because the growth was more of a question mark, with Hatch you knew it was there lurking and ready to come out.
                  :yes:
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My pick goes to Hatch. Game in and game out all Season long I felt like he improved his overall consistency the most from last Season. Let's hope that next Season, each returning Shocker again improves their game. Stutz, JT, and Hannah also really improved their game and it has resulted in 23 wins so far and we are not done yet. It has not been often in Shocker History that we have won this many games.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

It :shock: me that folk have not mentioned JT much on this thread. He has had some big games this year and should get some mentioning in the Valley awards this Season.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Stutz!!!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Stutz's use of his left hand on offense had made big strides this year. He is much better on finishing the ball this year, and going for the rebound if he misses.

Hatch's shot got back on track this year, and was critical in some games.

Demetric is getting better, and has offensive flashes now and then.

Durley has fought through some tough games, and shown his offensive brilliance at times. Next year, Durley and Ellis and Blair need to lead this team.

Comment

These stats are for this year only so don't relate to "improved", but they do lend some insight as to the quality and value of their play.

The top chart is the Percent of Offensive and Defensive Rebounds by a player. Player A is only has the opportunity to get those rebounds available while he is on the court, so each player has his own "pool" of rebounds available.

The second chart shows rebounds and points per minute played.

The final chart is a combination of the following factors:

* Rebounds times 1.046 because 1.406 is the points per possession for WSU this season, PLUS

* Assists times 2 because every assist results in a basket. (I don't have the stats to determine how many assists turn into 3-pt plays MINUS

* Turnovers times .923 because .923 is the points perpossession for our opponents, PLUS

* Blocks times 0.5 times 1.046 to arbitrarily assume 50% of blocks result in WSU possession and we score 1.046 points per possession, PLUS

* Steals times 1.046 because WSU scores 1.046 points per possession.

This total is divided by minutes played.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                            X