Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodization Training for Basketball

Greetings!

Looking at the team's past few performances and looking forward to the upcoming MVC tournament, I became curious about how to frame performance and expectations within basketball training cycles.

For those unfamiliar with elite sport training programs, do a quick search on Sports Periodization, Macro- Meso- Micro-cycles, and various phase training programs. These are the sort of tools that coaches and some athletes know a lot about and use them to guide anticipated peak performance curves towards important fixtures in the competitive schedule.

Unfortunately, being uninformed of these strategies, the average fan often assumes that their favorite team should be at 100% for 100% of the competitions. When the team suddenly, unexpectedly falters, the poor performances are attributed to 'lack of focus', 'lack of intensity', 'no heart', etc. While these candidate explanations may be true in some cases, the blame may not necessarily lie in some collection of individual ineptitude, lack of moral fiber, or locker-room cancer.

Obviously, coaches and trainers aren't intentionally sending a team on the floor that is unprepared to compete, but angling for peak performance at different points in the season could provide insight into why teams like WSU and UNI are suddenly being challenged by the Evansvilles of the world. Teams with different goals have different training cycles that direct anticipated peak performances differently. Obviously, this isn't the only factor, but it's one that isn't discussed frequently enough in my mind.

Additionally, for fairly obvious reasons, it might not be in a coach's or program's best interest to announce to paying attendees that they were willing to risk losing Game X in order to perform better in Game Y.

Now, with all of that said, I have neither played or coached basketball. My sporting expertise lies elsewhere. I was wondering if someone here with basketball experience could shed some light into how coaches practically manage the macrocycle and particularly final mesocycle and the anticipated performance impacts.

Applying general knowledge, I would anticipate a short (4-5) day rest for this team might put them back in better form (and possibly best form of the season). Of course, I'm not that familiar with issues related to intra-team dynamics and conditions for optimizing coordinated effort. Considering HCGM's success in post-season tournaments, I'm comfortable assuming that he knows a great deal about this subject. There's a heck of a lot more to coaching in 2010 than yelling in the locker-room and calling time-outs. ;-)

Thoughts? Comments? Personal Experiences?
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Phase 4: We should be in phase four now - we want to win this next game - but even more important is avoiding further injury and allowing those whom are injured to heal. 5 days of light practice, physical rejuvination, and review this week.

Phase 5: We peak at the right time and win the tournament.

I don't think everyone follows this to a "T," but possibly many use the philosophy without even realizing it.

You must be in weight training or track?

Comment

Interesting. I heard Bobby Knight speaking somewhat of this same training philosophy. This is sort of ironic as he was one of the more passionate coaches in the game and always seemed to be at full force, and Indiana (I believe) was the last team to go undefeated for an entire season.

I wonder if the planning theory changes based on goals not being met (ie we didn't win the conference championship, so do we change the cycle to focus more on the MoVal tournament)? Were UE and WSU/UNI cycles the same or was it simply a better team overlooking a bad team?

Good question to ask HCGM for those that call in on his show. I've often wondered how he decides to give the guys a day off, etc...

Comment

Re: Periodization Training for Basketball

Originally posted by Rodya RR
        Greetings!

Looking at the team's past few performances and looking forward to the upcoming MVC tournament, I became curious about how to frame performance and expectations within basketball training cycles.

For those unfamiliar with elite sport training programs, do a quick search on Sports Periodization, Macro- Meso- Micro-cycles, and various phase training programs. These are the sort of tools that coaches and some athletes know a lot about and use them to guide anticipated peak performance curves towards important fixtures in the competitive schedule.

Unfortunately, being uninformed of these strategies, the average fan often assumes that their favorite team should be at 100% for 100% of the competitions. When the team suddenly, unexpectedly falters, the poor performances are attributed to 'lack of focus', 'lack of intensity', 'no heart', etc. While these candidate explanations may be true in some cases, the blame may not necessarily lie in some collection of individual ineptitude, lack of moral fiber, or locker-room cancer.

Obviously, coaches and trainers aren't intentionally sending a team on the floor that is unprepared to compete, but angling for peak performance at different points in the season could provide insight into why teams like WSU and UNI are suddenly being challenged by the Evansvilles of the world. Teams with different goals have different training cycles that direct anticipated peak performances differently. Obviously, this isn't the only factor, but it's one that isn't discussed frequently enough in my mind.

Additionally, for fairly obvious reasons, it might not be in a coach's or program's best interest to announce to paying attendees that they were willing to risk losing Game X in order to perform better in Game Y.

Now, with all of that said, I have neither played or coached basketball. My sporting expertise lies elsewhere. I was wondering if someone here with basketball experience could shed some light into how coaches practically manage the macrocycle and particularly final mesocycle and the anticipated performance impacts.

Applying general knowledge, I would anticipate a short (4-5) day rest for this team might put them back in better form (and possibly best form of the season). Of course, I'm not that familiar with issues related to intra-team dynamics and conditions for optimizing coordinated effort. Considering HCGM's success in post-season tournaments, I'm comfortable assuming that he knows a great deal about this subject. There's a heck of a lot more to coaching in 2010 than yelling in the locker-room and calling time-outs. ;-)

Thoughts? Comments? Personal Experiences?
        I'm familar with periodization training. In fact, I think Dr. Rodgers still uses my project as the example when he teaches it to undergrads. Means a lot to me!

Comment

Working...
        X