Rick Barnes does not care about winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Barnes does not care about winning

"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

-Rick Barnes in an article from ESPN the Magazine

Wow, just wow.

Re: Rick Barnes does not care about winning

Originally posted by Nightwatchman
    "We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

-Rick Barnes in an article from ESPN the Magazine

Wow, just wow.
    Ricky pulls in some of the top recruits and he can't let it be known that he actually wants them to sacrifice and work as a team.

He's got an NBA pipeline, so that's what he's selling.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

It's a whole lot easier to recruit the one/two and dones when you say things like that.

I wonder if anyone has asked the other 10-11 players on the team who won't be NBA stars what they think about that.

Comment

KU seems to do pretty well with sending players to the NBA and competing for and winning National Championships.

I personally hope more BCS teams start thinking the same way as the UT coach. Non-BCS teams will be able to build programs that compete for National Championships because the have 4-year players playing a "team concept".

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          It's a whole lot easier to recruit the one/two and dones when you say things like that.

I wonder if anyone has asked the other 10-11 players on the team who won't be NBA stars what they think about that.
          Bingo.

I've said for years now that I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Barnes recruited Durant (a DC kid with no ties to Texas). My theory - which was scandalous at the time among people that I told it to - was pretty much what Barnes just admitted.

And Shizzle... you owe me a waterproof computer monitor. My old one was ruined when you used "Rick Barnes" and "wants them to sacrifice and work as a team" in the same sentence and I spit my coffee all over it.

It's been a running joke among my friends (some of them UT fans) for years about how Barnes' practices consist primarily of "rolling the balls out" and reminding the guys at the end that there's only going to be one ball on game day.

Or maybe I'm just fired up on the topic because I'll be in College Station tomorrow, hopefully watching Turge's TEAM put a smackdown on Barnes' PLAYERS...

Comment

Wow, what fun it must be to be a Texas basketball fan -- we don't care about championships, let's just run a NBA training camp. Good use of those scholarship dollars...

Comment

'Good' coaches can make both dreams come true Rick.
              I've never been impressed with Mr. Barnes; even going back to his Clem's Son days.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                KU seems to do pretty well with sending players to the NBA and competing for and winning National Championships.

I personally hope more BCS teams start thinking the same way as the UT coach. Non-BCS teams will be able to build programs that compete for National Championships because the have 4-year players playing a "team concept".
                Difference with KU is they don't lose very many players before they are out of eligibility. I think minus Xavier Henry, that it will be the case with this current team up in Lawrence as well.

Comment

Game is still early in the second half, but Texas is losing at home to OU 51-45. If they lose this, does it really matter what Texas did the first 17 games as for the Big Dance. They would be 5-8 over the last 13 games.

Comment

there Texas they will get in simply because they were ranked 1st at one time
                    ShockerNut 2305

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                      Game is still early in the second half, but Texas is losing at home to OU 51-45. If they lose this, does it really matter what Texas did the first 17 games as for the Big Dance. They would be 5-8 over the last 13 games.
                      decent showing in the big 12 tourney would probably make people forget about that stretch.

Comment

Working...
                      X