Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxsports.com on Garrett Stutz

GRAND MARSHALL

A day after Kentucky lost to Gardner-Webb, 7-foot senior Garrett Stutz committed to Wichita State despite heavy interest from the Wildcats and SMU.

Believe it or not, Stutz actually committed to new Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall’s 11-year-old son, Kellen.

According to one source, the pair played a game of Pop-a-Shot (an electronic basketball game) while Stutz was on his official visit this past weekend. Stutz called up last night and asked the younger Marshall if they could play the game for the next four years.

This was a huge get for Marshall, who has a trio of seniors – P.J. Couisnard, Matt Braeuer and Phillip Thomasson – leaving the program after this season.

Marshall said he’s excited about the future. He has long, 6-foot-8 freshman Aaron Ellis, who has been a pleasant surprise, and then Stutz and 6-foot-4 guard Toure Murray out of Houston will come in next season.

Marshall is also waiting to hear whether athletic 7-foot Nigerian Ehimen Orukpe will be eligible and play second semester this season. Orukpe, the perfect complement to Stutz, is still trying to pass his exit exam in Nigeria.

However, Marshall isn’t looking past this year, either. It’s just that the ex-Winthrop coach goes in not knowing much about the Missouri Valley Conference.
    :goshocks:
    Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Thats a great committment line! It also makes me think that there is NO way he will back out! You don't tell a head coach that you want to "play [games] with your son for the next four years" and back out on that kind of statement!

The other nice quote from the article is that the author thinks Stutz will be a great compliment to Orukpe. I'm guessing EO is the great athlete, and Stutz will be the fundamentally sound banger (i hope)!

Good stuff!
    Livin the dream

Comment

Not to take away from the Euphoria surrounding Mr. Stutz's commitment. But I'd like to call FN out on this quote.

Marshall is also waiting to hear whether athletic 7-foot Nigerian Ehimen Orukpe will be eligible and play second semester this season. Orukpe, the perfect complement to Stutz, is still trying to pass his exit exam in Nigeria.
      Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I had heard that EO had already passed the exam, and it was just a matter of navigating the bureaucracy to get it posted officially, enabling him to come over here. I thought that had been mentioned in the past couple of weeks or so.

We've got one long month to see if EO will be able to contribute this season.

Comment

I think EO will be the deffensive blocker and rebounder while stutz probably has more offensive moves. it's gonna be unbelievably awesome to have both!!
        veni, vidi, vici

Comment

I agree!
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
            I think EO will be the deffensive blocker and rebounder while stutz probably has more offensive moves. it's gonna be unbelievably awesome to have both!!
            From what I have read, I agree. I have a feeling that EO's offensive skills will take some time to develop. Just a hunch. While Stutz, by all accounts, has a good touch from outside.

Comment

Stutz gives us an offensive weapon. Ehimen gives us a defensive weapon....for now.

As far as Ehimen goes, I believe there were no worries about him passing, it was just a matter of getting them graded and then the process that follows. I haven't heard anything officially on if he's passed or not. But the rumor is he should be here for 2nd semester.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

How fun is it going to be with Orukpe and Stutz going up against each other in practice? :yahoo:

And Sub is right. The last we heard from Marshall on last week's coach's show was that they are waiting for the exit exam results to be announced. Then they could start on the process to get him here.

Comment

We don't know anything about Orukpe, but "runs like a deer" has never been refuted. The "NBA potential" label came from NBA players and asst. coaches. "Dunks everything in sight" has never been refuted. We're assuming that an athletic 7' guy can alter shots anywhere out to about 8', block some shots and get a lot of boards. Those are reasonably safe assumptions.

Stutz gained a lot of height recently. Stutz developed an outside game when he was shorter. Stutz' dad is a coach, so Stutz probably has some decent fundamentals, some range, but isn't as athletic as some his height. With Orukpe around, Stutz doesn't need to rely on athleticism. We got that covered down low.

Stutz probably isn't the quickest or most athletic 7' guy coming into D1 next year. Orukpe is probably short on fundamentals.

With both of them on the team it's Marshall's perfect opportunity to emphasize strengths and hide weaknesses. Orukpe has the potential to beat single covers with athleticism. Stutz has the potential to beat single covers with fundamentals and shooting range. Can't double both of them.

They do complement each other nicely.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

When's the last time we had 2 players 6'11" + at the same time?
                    I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC
                      When's the last time we had 2 players 6'11" + at the same time?
                      Last year
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Guess I was trying to come up with players who played. My bad.
                        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

In that case I don't know
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                          X