Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu
    Originally posted by Aargh
    I've been critical of Fogler for leaving the cupboard bare, but one returning player taller than 6'4"? That's got to be a record.

Admittedly Eddie didn't leave with 5 McDonald's AAs on the bench (who would), but as usual I have to come to his defense.

I hardly think leaving the next coach with a JUNIOR class that included 1000 point scorers Paul Guffrovich (one of the best guards of the last 20 years) and John Cooper (maybe the single best player of the last 20 years) and a more than serviceable 6'7" Aaron Davis along with super talented sophmore Keith Bonds hardly seems bare to me.

Revisionist historians are not my favorite group.
    Amen re: Fogler.

Also, the fact that we could attract a coach of Marshall's stature is b/c of what Turgeon did with the program. Who was interested when Randy Smithson was let go?

Comment

I've stated my thoughts on this issue before, but I thought this might be another spot to do so:

Sure MT elevated the program at Wichita State. But he did so because the infrastructure for success was being built at the same time by our AD, Jim Schaus.

Maybe I'm off-base, but MT was given the perfect opportunity at the perfect time. Let's not forget that he only took us to 1 NCAA tournament in 7 years, meanwhile, the WSU faithful packed the home court. The Wichita State community along with ADJS deserve much of the credit for the turn-around.

Our AD used the timing of the coaching change to the best of his ability, and has now provided us with something potentially better.

Comment

I am continually surprised by those, who wish to diminish Coach Turgeon's achievements here.

Change surprised to amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
          I've stated my thoughts on this issue before, but I thought this might be another spot to do so:

Sure MT elevated the program at Wichita State. But he did so because the infrastructure for success was being built at the same time by our AD, Jim Schaus.

Maybe I'm off-base, but MT was given the perfect opportunity at the perfect time. Let's not forget that he only took us to 1 NCAA tournament in 7 years, meanwhile, the WSU faithful packed the home court. The Wichita State community along with ADJS deserve much of the credit for the turn-around.

Our AD used the timing of the coaching change to the best of his ability, and has now provided us with something potentially better.
          i know alot wont on here , but i do agree with you
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
            I am continually surprised by those, who wish to diminish Coach Turgeon's achievements here.

Sure it may be more blunt, but many are saying the same things that they felt were his weaknesses as when he was here. No one is saying he was a terrible coach, but many feel that we have taken a step forward with Marshall as what is supposed to happen.

I know you don't like some of what I have said in the past. But I still stand by that he brought life back to the basketball program and got it as far as he could and now Marshall is the guy that will give it superhuman strength to take the next leap..at least that is the hope :). At the same time I'm not going to sugar coat it and say that he left the program in great shape. Marshall already had to pull a couple bunnies out of his hat.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan

Sure it may be more blunt, but many are saying the same things that they felt were his weaknesses as when he was here. No one is saying he was a terrible coach, but many feel that we have taken a step forward with Marshall as what is supposed to happen.

I know you don't like some of what I have said in the past. But I still stand by that he brought life back to the basketball program and got it as far as he could and now Marshall is the guy that will give it superhuman strength to take the next leap..at least that is the hope :). At the same time I'm not going to sugar coat it and say that he left the program in great shape. Marshall already had to pull a couple bunnies out of his hat.
              For those who feel it is necessary to continue to slight or pummel Coach Turgeon, what is the purpose?

How many times do your views need stating? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Until he dies?

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan

For those who feel it is necessary to continue to slight or pummel Coach Turgeon, what is the purpose?

How many times do your views need stating? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Until he dies?
                I know, you are just too sensitive....gotta be it LOL

and for the record....627,636 more times should do it!!! Kidding of course, no one is slighting him near as bad as you make it out to be LOL. Oh and I didn't do any slighting. Jim Schaus himself said that he feels Marshall is the one to take us to the next level, that's pretty much all I said as well.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

No matter how you want to spin it, MT is the third most successful basketball coach the Shockers have had in the past 60 years. PERIOD.

If that sticks in your crawl, so be it.

You really need to get over it. Acknowledge what the man did for our program and move on.

Gads, you guys are starting to sound like KU and KS fans.

Looking to the future, I'm betting that GM will surpass even the accomplishments of both Ralph and Gene.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53

I think that is a very good assessment of the situation. I totally agree with you.

And I am not trying to put Turgeon's coaching ability down. But he left us in shambles pure and simple. I am not going to sugar coat it.

Fogler definitely left us with better players than Turg, but he left us with a horrible coach- Mike Cohen (Cohen was his choice).

I believe that Marshall will be a better coach than Turgeon but we shouldn't judge him by this year. He was dealt a very weak hand and it will take awhile to get around that.

It took Turgeon six years to get us to the ncaa tournament, I am very hopeful that Marshall will get us back there much quicker.

But it won't be this year without a miracle.

Comment

No way this team finishes 7th. That's a borderline stupid prediction from someone who is just covering the league without knowing much just trying to make an interesting read. I bet GM would strap on some old Converse shoes and play before he would let this team finish 7th. He has too much toughness and grit to him that will rub off on the team. No disrespect to MT, but GM will be a far better fit for this team.

Comment

Working...
                      X