holy time-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holy time-out

I was so happy to see all those time-outs WSU had left with two minutes to go!

Most coaches seem to understand how to use them during games when runs are going against their teams. I guess Marshall doesn't believe in using them at all.

In all seriousness - basketball is a sport where the coaches get to have a very large influence of events during the actual game. I can't understand the logic of holding on to so many of them when it will take a miracle to come back from a large deficit on the road.

I didn't post anything after the CU game, but I have to say this is two road games in a row where I was truly amazed by some of the non-decisions by Marshall. Not using a time-out early in the second half against CU was hard for me to swallow, then not just fouling immediately with 13 seconds wreaked of bad math, and now he just sits there while the shockers score 5 points in nine minutes.

In his defense, every shocker had a bad stretch today. I am still waiting for Hatch to rotate on defense (you could submit almost any other name in that sentence).

I actually like holding onto TOs, you never know when you might need them. If I'm remembering right, it didn't even seem like Drake was just beating us on quick steals and fast breaks, where I think a TO is more appropriate. They built a build lead because we couldn't score into double digits for the first however many minutes into the game. I don't think a TO would've helped that much, considering there were 2-3 media timeouts that produced no offense out of it.

Comment

You have to be in the game to call time-outs at the end.

I watched coaches like Sutton completely control road games with time-outs. During the time-out you can call sets, clarify how you want to defend ball screens, look for feedback and maybe turn off the momentum/crowd noise (many more options). Sitting there and doing nothing while allowing the home team to blow you out is hard to justify.

Drake's coach used time-outs every single time the shockers got two stops and two scores. WSU was never able to mount a serious run.

Admittedly, calling a time-out may be the equivalent of throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks, but it is better than the alternative in my opinion.

Comment

coulda, woulda, shoulda...
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Marshall believes in the Phil Jackson way, and that is to let his team figuring it out.
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

if and butts...candy and nuts...I think Ill defer to HCGM ...game to game how he chooses to use his TO's
            1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Hey - I think Marshall is the best coach the shockers could possibly have. I still think it is reasonable to wonder why certain decisions are made. I do not see practice so I will stay away from questioning things like which players get in the game (at least on shockernet these days), but I am all for talking about game management styles. There is no "right" answer when it comes to styles, but I can't understand the love affair for ending a game with three or four time-outs.

Comment

UNC fans say the same thing about Roy. I think most fans wish the coach would call a TO a little more often or at least when the other team is in the middle of a huge run. Tough game....

Comment

Still wish he would call them more

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                    Still wish he would call them more
                    Well if were making wishes, I wish the team would have actually showed up and played with some heart for 40 instead of the final 10.

Comment

It's the coaching staff's job to get the players ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                        It's the coaching staff's job to get the players ready to play.
                        However, they can't make the shots for them, or get the rebounds, or make the passes. The coaching staff did their job. In my opinion, the play of the players is where the blame lies. This team can find ways to win at home, when the crowd helps them to stay after it. Obviously we aren't mentally tough enough to get it done on the road. Big time players step up. That is what this team lacks.

Comment

No excuse for lack of effort, though. None. I never expect more than 100%, and I will never accept anything less than that.

Comment

Pinstripers I don't mean to demean your post but it's impossible to give more than 100%.

I don't think that they lacked effort. They tried and weren't loafing, but they lacked energy and it's impossible to turn it on and turn it off. There is a fine line between being mentally ready and not being mentally ready. Yesterday, they were on the wrong side of that line at the beginning of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                              Pinstripers I don't mean to demean your post but it's impossible to give more than 100%.
                              Are you sure? :D

My best scene of this movieOh Yeah, Diablos number one!
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X