Coaches Show 11-5-07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches Show 11-5-07

Flushing Dennis for the time.................

Some interesting points that I heard tonight.

Coach explaining why we will get better as the year goes along. The discussion about how they intentionally did not scout Ark Tech and how they will put in a full plan for Thursday was interesting.

He tossed JT a bone tonight. Also was complimentary of Phil. He talked about Matt enjoying some of the freedoms that Greg builds into the system when reliving the 3 that Matt took with 32 seconds on the shot clock. Gregg never once complained about it.

Gregg does not hesitate to tell you not only how he does something but also why. It is so refreshing. Nothing I have heard him say is earth shattering yet it provides teremendous insight to how he works.

I lot of what he talked about tonight reminded me of some of the things I used to hear from Eddie Fogler without the aristocracy. Prepare like Eddie, practice the General, be positive and upbeat while at the same time demand perfection, coach like Gregg Marshall.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Coach Marshall seemed to be pretty up beat.

He said the Arkansas Tech coach said his team played much better than they did against MSU and that he thinks our games with MSU will be very competitive.

Noted that Aaron Ellis sort of went playground on him and had gotten in the way of what would otherwise have been a couple of good plays. He also said that Aaron was going to be one terrific player before he is through.

Said they have already put in about 80% of what they do, but that the execution is nowhere near where it needs to be or WILL BE and he said that just by the nature of his systems that his teams are better in February than they are November as the system becomes more second nature.

Comment

Just listened to the podcast. Why can you hear another radio program in the background?! If's very annoying. The same type of problem occured on the podcast of the first coaches show. Is this something that is heard only on the podcast, or can you hear it when listening live on the internet, and can you hear it over the actual local radio broadcast?

Comment

I didn't notice anything while listening on the radio. But I was doing 3 things at once. There was an echo at one point.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Had to run to work, you beat me to this post. :) Like I mentioned in the "Dennis" thread....I have a little better feeling now that I know they did NOTHING to prepare for Ark Tech other than just trying to get better within their own system. Also, sounded like coach didn't say much prior other than to just go out and play. He explained his reasoning that it helps to show the players the importance of the SYSTEM and why they work so hard to perfect it. Also of course mentioned that he wanted to play everyone that was available, which was pretty obvious. Basically said if he wanted to win by 30 then he wouldn't have played with the lineups so much and wouldn't have played everyone, but obviously that wasn't the goal of the exhibition.

Thursday will give us a little better perspective of what we can expect from this team early as they will watch tape, scout and actually prepare for Pitt State in practice. Coach sounded a little irritated that Pitt State sent some people to scout during the game Saturday.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

One of my favorite parts (Paraphrasing, but pretty close):

"You hafta be able to think to play more than one defense."

He also said he likes to go into games with his gun loaded - some strategically selected offensive plays designed to take advantage of bad defenders and matchup problems and a targeted defensive plan that gives them the best chance to win. If he has those offensive and defensive strategies locked in prior to the tip he still has the option of changing things up on both ends of the floor depending on the tack the game is taking. I think the technical term for that in the business is called "in-game coaching".

Earl Grant mentioned in the post-game show Sat. night that his time at the Citadel was great because he loved working with great character-kids who were dedicated and smart ball players.

This fits into their recruiting plan because Marshall admits his system requires memorization, unlike a 24/7 motion offense where you just kinda run around for 30 seconds and hope something develops. (He didn't say that about a motion offense - it's my editorial comment).

He also mentioned that his system masks weaknesses and concentrates on plays and players which take advantage of the opponent. Then Kennedy helped him out by saying that, of course, the better players you have just makes that system more effective.

I'm guessing that means a little less emphasis on balanced scoring(no stars) and more emphasis on taking advantages of mis-matches and opponents' defensive weaknesses. I hope that means that when the opponents' stud player gets his fourth foul with 8 minutes to go we will go right at him instead of letting him finish the game with four fouls and a game-winning bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me
              Just listened to the podcast. Why can you hear another radio program in the background?! If's very annoying. The same type of problem occured on the podcast of the first coaches show. Is this something that is heard only on the podcast, or can you hear it when listening live on the internet, and can you hear it over the actual local radio broadcast?
              Memorize this word and never forget it.

Entercom.

Any time you wonder why any radio broadcast is all messed up, think Entercom. It's electronic equipment and management are just south of the Mendoza line. (I love crazy, mixed metaphors, which may not make sense.)

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                concentrates on plays and players which take advantage of the opponent.
                I always thought that line of thinking was a given. Many times in the last 7 years I sure was scratching my head a lot. :wacko:
                MT was a very good coach for WSU...aggressive he was not.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Where do you find the podcast for the show?
                  In the fast lane

Comment

Where do you find the podcast for the show?

Games and coach's shows

Comment

I am as excited and confident about GM being our new coach as anyone, but let's not get carried away with every word the man utters.

His reported comment, "that just by the nature of his systems that his teams are better in February than they are November as the system becomes more second nature," is not a revelation.

Unless, there is a complete meltdown (which unfortunately we have witnessed in the not so distant past), any average college or high school coach in the country, who is worth their salt, can make this claim.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                        I am as excited and confident about GM being our new coach as anyone, but let's not get carried away with every word the man utters.

His reported comment, "that just by the nature of his systems that his teams are better in February than they are November as the system becomes more second nature," is not a revelation.

Unless, there is a complete meltdown (which unfortunately we have witnessed in the not so distant past), any average college or high school coach in the country, who is worth their salt, can make this claim.
                        The secret is to improve more than the competition so that it shows in late season victories. I can see the Shockers being somewhere in the middle of the MVC in the early going, but hopefully by Arch Madness, they will be one of the best teams in the Valley.

Comment

I agree in general with 60s comments, but I wonder if Marshall's approach of calling plays in the huddle and having the players memorize them, rather than calling them out on the court, may lend more credence to Marshall's claim than in other systems.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                          X