The Stutz for Murry free throws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stutz for Murry free throws

If I understand, several here have said that when it became clear Murry couldn't shoot his FTs that Stutz, who was on the bench, jumped up and asked to be put in so that he would be selected to shoot them for Murry.

Is not the rule that the opposing coach must select from only the remaining four players on the floor?

NCAA News

The committee also approved a proposal dealing with a free-throw shooter who is injured. In the proposal, if a student-athlete is fouled (without the foul being flagrant or intentional) and unable to attempt the free throws, the opposing coach will choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.
    I don't recall the foul being flagrant or intentional.

Can anyone clarify or correct my understanding?

Don't know what this says about the rule but it says a lot about Garrett!
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Re: The Stutz for Murry free throws

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      If I understand, several here have said that when it became clear Murry couldn't shoot his FTs that Stutz, who was on the bench, jumped up and asked to be put in so that he would be selected to shoot them for Murry.

Is not the rule that the opposing coach must select from only the remaining four players on the floor?

NCAA News

The committee also approved a proposal dealing with a free-throw shooter who is injured. In the proposal, if a student-athlete is fouled (without the foul being flagrant or intentional) and unable to attempt the free throws, the opposing coach will choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.

That was mentioned on the radio broadcast of the game by Dave, and kind of dismissed by Mike. I have a hard time believing Pat Knight didn't catch it and put someone else on the line. It seems to me we just snuck it by, though.
      Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Re: The Stutz for Murry free throws

Originally posted by shockrah
        Originally posted by RoyalShock

NCAA News

That was mentioned on the radio broadcast of the game by Dave, and kind of dismissed by Mike. I have a hard time believing Pat Knight didn't catch it and put someone else on the line. It seems to me we just snuck it by, though.
        On the other hand, I think that Clevin was on the floor at the time, so I'm not sure that Pat Knight didn't mind seeing someone on the bench come in to take them.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

My group was discussing this as well and it was mentioned that someone didn't know the rule.

My guess is, and I think it would be easy enough to get a confirmation, that Coach Knight dismissed the idea and said "let them chose" or something to that effect.

But that's just my .02 as I watched the events unfold.

Comment

This was the "blood rule", not an actual injury, dunno if that makes a difference.

Comment

I thought the rule was someone on the court had to take the free throws. I wasnt aware of the opposing coach can pick part though.

Comment

From NCAA rulebook:

Art. 2. The free throw(s) that were to be attempted by the offended player shall be attempted by that player’s substitute unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate shall attempt the free throw(s) under the following conditions:
                a. When the offended player must withdraw because of injury, he or she is bleeding or has blood on his or her uniform or person;
                b. (Women) Lost, displaced or irritated contact; or
                c. When the offended player is disqualified.
                Art. 3. (Men) When an injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), one of the four remaining players on the playing court shall be selected by the opposing coach to attempt the free throw try(s) unless the committed foul was either intentional personal or flagrant. In such a case, the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team member to attempt the free throw try(s).

From my interpretation of that "injury" and "blood" are two different cases and blood falls under Art. 2 and not Art 3.

Comment

Not sure but it seemed to me from my seats at the game that it was more of an issue of blood on his elbow then injury. They tried to get it cleaned up but needed more time. In that case just like an injury its up to Marshall isn't it? I didn't do any research but it seems like this would be the case. In most cases I would imagine you don't see people subbing an 7ft player for a wing man to take pressure free throws. He was the first person I thought of though when I saw Murray was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                    This was the "blood rule", not an actual injury, dunno if that makes a difference.
                    This is what I figured. I was aware of the rule change and figured it was to stop players from "faking" injuries. You aren't going to be faking blood so they might as well keep it the same.

Comment

I was on that side of the court, and it looked as though Marshall turned around and Garrett said something, then Marshall pointed or tapped on his shoulder to go check in. The refs then went to Knight and talked and it appeared Pat shrugged and said yeah whatever.

Then if memory serves Matty B. got HCGM attention as to say we need to get Ellis off the court since we had way to many bigs out there (Stutz for Toure is not a normal sub).

Comment

TM had blood on his arm/jersey from another player. He was not injured in the "technical sense."
                        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                          TM had blood on his arm/jersey from another player. He was not injured in the "technical sense."
                          No, it was his blood. He played the remainder of the game with gauze taped to his elbow.
                          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                            Yes, they had a ref on Sports Daily this morning who clarified this. Being bloody is not the same as being injured, so therefore, it does not fall under the new rule where the opposing coach gets to choose the free throw shooter. This does make sense, since the reason for the new rule was to keep players from faking an injury to get a better shooter at the line, because you can't 'fake' blood (accept in Hollywood), and just because someone is bleeding, it doesn't mean he is incapable of shooting free throws. So they are just two totally separate issues.

Comment

"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood :good: :good:
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X