Valley Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley Troubles

I thought it would be interesting to see which teams had to go without personell for any length of time so far this year and how that might have effected them.

Certainly, one of the biggest wild cards in a successful season is going to be luck and keeping your players healthy can largely be attributed to luck.

WSU has to be in the group counting their positive fortune to this point. They lost Clevin Hannah for 3 games to a non-injury related incident that did not affect team chemistry. They lost only 1 game in 3 and that was a game they were going to struggle to win with or without him. The loss of Mason Felter to grades for a semester is pretty much a non-factor.

WSU looks good and healthy for the beginning of the Valley schedule for the first time in a LONG time (all posts from here on out are covered with a gynormous knock on wood at this point).

I wonder how much of this is attributable to luck, and how much to better training.... I tend to believe its more of the latter.

One of the differences between Turg and HCGM is their approach to the weightroom / physical training. HCGM doesnt seem to mind his players getting more bulk, and one the early comments in the Marshall era were how far we needed to go in the weight room. I think we are starting to see one of the upsides of that philosophy.

Comment

Great point and you are spot on. Also, there are other factors, like trying to recruit good kids from good families to try and minimize the off the court issues. It isn't all luck....how does the saying go?

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        Great point and you are spot on. Also, there are other factors, like trying to recruit good kids from good families to try and minimize the off the court issues. It isn't all luck....how does the saying go?

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity, or something like that.
        Depth that results in more evenly distributed minutes doesn't hurt either.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Hopefully we'll get some input from fans of the other schools, but SIU for instance, dismissed Ryan Hare before their first game. A likely starter that certainly affected their preparation for the season.

Also Tony Freeman missed at least one game with a health problem....there don't appear to be any lingering issues there but that was a game at St. Louis that he certainly would have had some input.

Comment

I don't know anything about this situation other than what is posted here:

ISU men's basketball suspends Harry Marshall again

I saw the link on Paul's "Shockwaves".

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53

It's nice knowing we have a team comprised of players that don't put out BS left and right as it has with some other Valley teams..
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Creighton has had injuries to Chad Millard (seemingly not yet 100%), Justin Carter (missed some games, seems to be back now) and illness to Casey Harriman.

They had off season issues with Cavell Witter that may or may not be totally resolved and the ongoing saga of dealing with a total whackjob in P'Allen.

The Bluejay plate has been full so far. Their record is not a total surprise given these troubles, and yet a small handful of points could have them at 7-3 or better with no stretch of the imagination. To dismiss them from Valley consideration, I think, would be a big mistake.

Comment

I'm certainly not dismissing sCUm.

I'm just saying it's gonna look bad when they are 18-11 and win the Valley.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53

FYI:

Marshall was reinstated today.

Comment

Re: Valley Troubles

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      Certainly, one of the biggest wild cards in a successful season is going to be luck and keeping your players healthy can largely be attributed to luck.
                      :yes:
                      Let us pray,
                      Lord! ... ;-)
                      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Working...
                      X